• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Hooked on Wellbutrin

Jman246

Greenlighter
This is going to sound crazy but im a heroin addict in recovery... well from heroin but my problem lately has been, I cant stop snorting wellbutrin!! Im legitimately scared and i dont wanna do it anymore but i cant stop! Its almost as hard as quitting heroin for me. Has anyone experienced this? Any advice?

^
How's switching back to an opiod going to help him beat his stimulant addiction?

Anyways I am a chipping H user (used to be a hardcore addict) and I snort my zyban one day out of 2, the weird thing is skipping my dose gives me a very mellow feeling for day or so. I am not really addicted to it's just very lacking as a stimulant IMO.
I wouldn't worry about it too much except possible damage to your mucous membranes / septum.

i've heard of people becoming addicted to wellbutrin because its so speedy. the only thing i can think of would be a benzo until your w/d are over

I've seriously heard it all now.

The one time I tried WB orally (3 days in) , I had to leave a camping trip early because the brain zaps were so bad from the WB. I did have a little more energy, like a amp buzz, but I threw that shit in the trash.

Does your head feel weird off WB?

I just got prescribed Wellbutrin and it doesn't sound recreational. I think you have seizures at high doses.

I've seriously heard it all now.

The one time I tried WB orally (3 days in) , I had to leave a camping trip early because the brain zaps were so bad from the WB. I did have a little more energy, like a amp buzz, but I threw that shit in the trash.

Does your head feel weird off WB?

Apparently Bupropion is an NDRI, i.e. capable of producing a pleasant rush by blocking the reuptake of dopamine - it's just that when you take it orally, your liver will rapidly convert it to the active metabolite Hydroxy-Bupropion which barely affects dopamine at all.
When snorted or injected, however, the Bupropion won't undergo this extensive first-pass-metabolism, giving you a short-lived stimulant rush.

All I know is that I was given Wellbutrin for depression/anxiety and I ended up suicidal within 3-4 days.

I dont have any personal experience with welbutrin, but solving the addiction problem will be similar to other drugs.

My search button informed me that it isnt dangerous withdrawal. Grabbing your balls (or vagina) and quiting is probably your best bet.

...Eh?

Wellbutrin has absolutely zero activity at any opioid receptors, and I don't see how it could even remotely substitute for heroin. Bupropion, at least when I tried it, wasn't even any good at reducing nicotine cravings (I switched back to cigarettes after less than 2 weeks), let alone opiate cravings.

This is maybe gonna sound odd, but...are you absolutely sure what you're taking is actually bupropion? Practically none of what you describe fits with the known effects and properties of that compound.

...Eh?

Wellbutrin has absolutely zero activity at any opioid receptors, and I don't see how it could even remotely substitute for heroin. Bupropion, at least when I tried it, wasn't even any good at reducing nicotine cravings (I switched back to cigarettes after less than 2 weeks), let alone opiate cravings.

This is maybe gonna sound odd, but...are you absolutely sure what you're taking is actually bupropion? Practically none of what you describe fits with the known effects and properties of that compound.

No one said anything about it having heroin-like effects.

Admittedly, that's true. Since his initial post was talking about using Wellbutrin for a heroin addiction, I stupidly assumed that the Wellbutrin must somehow be substituting for heroin (hence my surprise), completely forgetting the fact that Wellbutrin has anti-addictive properties and is often used to treat nicotine and methamphetamine addiction (and possibly others I don't remember)...although I personally found it completely useless for that, so its effectiveness probably varies substantially across individuals.

But regardless, using one drug to help kick an addiction to another is not very productive if you just end up hooked on the replacement drug instead. Thankfully, it should be MUCH easier to taper off Wellbutrin than it would be for heroin, and as far as I understand, Wellbutrin doesn't inherently create any sort of physical or psychological dependence. I'm just taking a guess here, but I think it's possible that what you're feeling could be down to you seeing it as the only thing preventing you relapsing into heroin, and so attributing to it a similar importance as you did to heroin.

Last edited: