View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

holding back

Peacephrog1972

Bluelighter
so i have found that i do this when taking psychs in the past few years......whenever i feel it start to come on, and its not 100% enjoyable or what i had envisioned, i will close my eyes, or mediate and almost "kill" the psychedelic......

I know that i am ripping myself off in fact, and maybe I'm just looking for euphoria in my trips now? i can't tell.....all i know is when i get to a certain point i kinda kill the trip per say by not letting go.....or maybe i just don't know.....its so hard to describe!

maybe I'm looking for something new? and its not there....

It's better to be able to kill a bad trip than lose control of one. Meditation is a hard skill to practice successfully.

JDilla terrible suggestion. Only dose more than you usually do it is a standard dose if you want to be overwhelmed. Only do doses that are more than usual with a sitter.

This seems like an issue of anxiety, fear, and letting go ultimately. Try tripping with a friend you can trust as a sitter or tripping with you. Maybe go into a new environment you are comfortable in like hiking. Try putting Pandora or some other random music channel on.. Create some art. The magic comes from experiencing something new.

simple solution...bigger. doses.

This is terrible advice.
Big doses are not the only way to enjoy a psychedelic and recommending bigger doses to chase euphoria is contradictory to the psychedelic experience and can lead to very uncomfortable trips.
I find meditating to actually be the best way to potentiate and enjoy sub par trips.
For me finding a way to completely relax is the best way to enjoy a psychedelic trip, otherwise anxiety takes over and makes me very on edge and I often then just wish for the trip to end.
Find things you enjoy doing on psychedelics. Or perhaps maybe they are just not for you, did you use to be able to enjoy your trips?

all good advice.....i do need to try new things while tripping

and higher doses is a good idea also...for me anyways

What substance is it that you are reffering to?

Perhaps you could attempt meditating beforehand/ during the come-up to relax your state of mind so that you are less likely to have an uncomfortable trip to begin with

This is terrible advice.
Big doses are not the only way to enjoy a psychedelic and recommending bigger doses to chase euphoria is contradictory to the psychedelic experience and can lead to very uncomfortable trips.
I find meditating to actually be the best way to potentiate and enjoy sub par trips.
For me finding a way to completely relax is the best way to enjoy a psychedelic trip, otherwise anxiety takes over and makes me very on edge and I often then just wish for the trip to end.
Find things you enjoy doing on psychedelics. Or perhaps maybe they are just not for you, did you use to be able to enjoy your trips?

To be fair, the thread's inaugural comment is equivocal and ambiguously phrased. JDilla's proffered suggestion only constitutes "terrible" advice if one interprets the OP's query as being about how one can enjoy a given dosage of a psychedelic drug to its highest potential. An equally justifiable (as the query hitherto exists), alternate interpretation of the introductory post could be how one might forfend against or preclude the psychedelic drug's potential to have its effects mentally extinguished or suppressed by its user(s).

If we go with the latter interpretation, it would appear JDilla's comment offers the least "terrible" advice, because the greatest defense one could possibly implement against the mental asphyxiation of the psychedelic's effects is to augment the strength of those aforesaid effects with an increased dosage. For example, a so-called "heroic" dose of >5 g dried 'shrooms, say, is much less vulnerable or susceptible than a weaker or lesser dose is to having its resulting experience snuffed out via intent meditation or psychological repression.

So to reiterate, the quality of the advice is contingent on the meaning of the entreaty for advice. That is to say, the correctness of a given question's answer is dependent on the interpretation of the given answer's question. Because the question is vague or seemingly absent, any propounded injunction must be graded based on the specific interpretation of the question it is predicated on.

To be fair, the thread's inaugural comment is equivocal and ambiguously phrased. JDilla's proffered suggestion only constitutes "terrible" advice if one interprets the OP's query as being about how one can enjoy a given dosage of a psychedelic drug to its highest potential. An equally justifiable (as the query hitherto exists), alternate interpretation of the introductory post could be how one might forfend against or preclude the psychedelic drug's potential to have its effects mentally extinguished or suppressed by its user(s).

If we go with the latter interpretation, it would appear JDilla's comment offers the least "terrible" advice, because the greatest defense one could possibly implement against the mental asphyxiation of the psychedelic's effects is to augment the strength of those aforesaid effects with an increased dosage. For example, a so-called "heroic" dose of >5 g dried 'shrooms, say, is much less vulnerable or susceptible than a weaker or lesser dose is to having its resulting experience snuffed out via intent meditation or psychological repression.

So to reiterate, the quality of the advice is contingent on the meaning of the entreaty for advice. That is to say, the correctness of a given question's answer is dependent on the interpretation of the given answer's question. Because the question is vague or seemingly absent, any propounded injunction must be graded based on the specific interpretation of the question it is predicated on.

while I get what you are trying to say; I also believe that from a harm reduction standpoint; holytoast is not wrong to speak up against the advise to simply "take more".
If the OP is having a hard time feeling comfortable at a low dose (hence forcing the trip to end via meditation) then taking enough to get past the point of suppression could end very badly, especialy if the user has grown accustomed to being able to snuff out a bad experience. This will amplify the terror that people normaly experience when faced with a loss of control.

Also it's not like JDilla gave any in site as to why this would be a good idea..

while I get what you are trying to say; I also believe that from a harm reduction standpoint; holytoast is not wrong to speak up against the advise to simply "take more".

Of course. I also don't believe he's wrong. I think Holy Toast's advice is more responsible than JDilla's advice. But the degree to which a suggestion is responsible is not the same as or related to the degree to which that suggestion is good, bad, apposite, well-taken, or "terrible" advice. Advice should be, I think, deemed good or bad based on how practical and apropos it is. Advice that is conscionable, altruistic, philanthropic, or virtuous is good insofar as "good" is measured or defined in terms of those qualities. However, while I find those qualities desirable, they don't necessarily make an answer good or bad.

It's not whether Holy Toast is wrong, but rather if the suggestion posited by JDilla is terrible. That is the issue I had intended to speak to with my comment.

If the OP is having a hard time feeling comfortable at a low dose (hence forcing the trip to end via meditation) then taking enough to get past the point of suppression could end very badly, especialy if the user has grown accustomed to being able to snuff out a bad experience. This will amplify the terror that people normaly experience when faced with a loss of control.

Indeed. I think your point is well-advised and commendable. But I feel it's necessary to recapitulate what I had previously mentioned inasmuch as I feel it's necessary to indict a response at all. The issue is, as I intended it, not what is or is not estimable or responsible, but what is or can rationally be said or argued to be a cogent, logically sound, feasible, effective, and topically pertinent answer (in the same way that, for example, a prescription for some pharmaceutical is good if it addresses, treats, or assuages the symptoms of the issue for which it was prescribed or developed/intended for more efficiently than might an alternative pharmaceutical, rather than if the prescribed pharmaceutical is good in the sense that it possesses the least possibility of causing deleterious sequelae for its user, regardless of its efficacy or applicability in the treatment of the patient's medical condition for which it was prescribed).

But as I had succinctly mentioned in the peroration of my initial post, the interpretation of the question is what determines if responsible advice is good advice (not by virtue of its responsible nature, but rather its coincidentally greater effectiveness and topicality to the question it's trying to resolve—that is to say, whether it addresses the issues and meets the criteria delineated in the question).

If a person is seeking the most effective and least potentially harmful advice, then the advice can be said to be good or bad based on its ability or inability to meet these criteria. However if safety or harm is not a stipulation or condition of the question, then a given answer cannot be justified as better than another based on it meeting these unstated conditions and the preference of such an answer over another cannot be logically accounted for in terms of these criteria since they (the criteria) weren't included in the question being addressed.

Also it's not like JDilla gave any in site as to why this would be a good idea..

But dilating on the insight of one's answer or the reason one's answer may be a good idea apparently wasn't a sort of sine qua non or condition of any appreciable import or relevance to the OP's inquiry, otherwise the OP would not have omitted its inclusion in his opening comment. Because this wasn't a condition stated in the OP, whether a given answer meets this condition cannot be appropriately used as a barometer or gauge with which to measure how good or bad a given answer is.