• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Hit an artery

systems-vehicle

Greenlighter
I was just trying to shoot into the big vein under my thumb on the bottom of my wrist. It was difficult, and I pushed a bit too hard, registered before just hitting that plunger in desperation.

I must only have injected .2-.3ml, but immediately it was as if my hand had caught fire and I swore in agony.

No noticeable swelling and the solution was pure hcl salt filtered through millipore filter.

Thoughts? The last tging I need right now is to have to go to hospital.

The recommended advice on here for any I.v.-related complication is to go to the hospital. However based on what you said 1. Micron filtered solution 2. An hcl salt (not a pill) 3. Hand 'caught fire' (so not a sharp stabbing pain but more a pain that runs along/opposite or even around the vein)

So there's a good chance you either nicked a nerve after registering but during the shot or right after you pulled out after the slight miss, or that due to the close proximity of the nerves in that area of your body, the missed I.v. Shot (for all intents and purposes, a missed shot = a subcutaneous injection, Millipore filtered subcutaneous shots (like in the shoulder region) are usually safe tho you can hit a nerve there as well, but in the hand the nerves are so close together that even a slight miss if it's caustic substance it can affect the nerve even if it hasn't been 'nicked' with the needle

I'd say, keep a close eye on it, keep it clean and don't mess with that spot til it stops burning / swelling. This has happened to me a few times, the pain/burning is not entirely indicative of a bad outcome unless you're hospitalized, altho if it happens enough time can cause some permanent/long term numbing in that area. If it gets way more inflamed, swells up or anything of an intense increased pain past a few hours after the incident, I would visit the dr otherwise you're good imo

Thanks, I think you're right about hitting a nerve as, though it's subsiding, there was numbness in a v shape along the back of my hand. God that hurt, though. I've said I've hit a nerve in the past for IV nerve related complications, never again will I disrespect the term by applying it to comparatively minor complications.

Ouch.

Great advice GOTO, nerve came straight to my mind when I read it too, hope you're ok OP :)