Hill-Sachs lesion with bony Bankart lesion and working out

FallenOne86

Bluelighter

Hill-Sachs lesion with bony Bankart lesion.. yeah.. that’s what I’ve got. Had it for many years and the pain went away for a while but now it’s back. Definitely gonna get an MRI but do you guys think working out can still be something I can do or would I have to give up working out completely?​

Are there any workout routines I can do to strengthen my shoulder and heal from this?

Hill-Sachs lesion with bony Bankart lesion.. yeah.. that’s what I’ve got. Had it for many years and the pain went away for a while but now it’s back. Definitely gonna get an MRI but do you guys think working out can still be something I can do or would I have to give up working out completely?​

Are there any workout routines I can do to strengthen my shoulder and heal from this?

How old are you? I have extensive shoulder issues and still work out as that's the only thing that has prevented them from ever really affecting me pain wise. However I'm going in for my first labrum surgery this year so it'll be interesting experience.

Did you follow PT after any of your previous shoulder injuries? I'd immediately start there with PT exercises and work your way up. Gather up an arsenal of various bands and find yourself a door jam. Go to town 3-4x a week going through the basic exercises of internal/external rotation and shoulder abduction, extension, and flexion.

You can make wonders regarding progress with PT. I have 5 dislocations just to my right shoulder and I still haven't lost any ROM in comparison to the average individual.

Last edited:
How old are you? I have extensive shoulder issues and still work out as that's the only thing that has prevented them from ever really affecting me pain wise. However I'm going in for my first labrum surgery this year so it'll be interesting experience.

Did you follow PT after any of your previous shoulder injuries? I'd immediately start there with PT exercises and work your way up. Gather up an arsenal of various bands and find yourself a door jam. Go to town 3-4x a week going through the basic exercises of internal/external rotation and shoulder abduction, extension, and flexion.

You can make wonders regarding progress with PT. I have 5 dislocations just to my right shoulder and I still haven't lost any ROM in comparison to the average individual.
35 years old. So what about regular training on top of PT? Or do you think I should PT for a couple weeks and then resume my regular workout training?

Part of me is also paranoid thinking I’m doomed because I’ve got arthritis in the shoulder area and I’ve abused meth in the past so I hope my bones aren’t weak from that shit

35 years old. So what about regular training on top of PT? Or do you think I should PT for a couple weeks and then resume my regular workout training?

Part of me is also paranoid thinking I’m doomed because I’ve got arthritis in the shoulder area and I’ve abused meth in the past so I hope my bones aren’t weak from that shit
I would shoot more for 6 weeks minimum of just strengthening and trying to work on improving ROM. Also, go to an actual physical therapist if you can as they'll provide proper guidance. My last dislocation I had 18 weeks total of PT twice a week + what I did at my home an 3-5x a week.

I would shoot more for 6 weeks minimum of just strengthening and trying to work on improving ROM. Also, go to an actual physical therapist if you can as they'll provide proper guidance. My last dislocation I had 18 weeks total of PT twice a week + what I did at my home an 3-5x a week.
Damn all the PTs suck here in California. Would you recommend any YouTube channels worth checking out that would help?

Damn all the PTs suck here in California. Would you recommend any YouTube channels worth checking out that would help?
Outside of a few random pros having a great workout video for shoulders I've never stumbled upon a shoulder guru on YT sadly. Seems like there is plenty of knee and basic mobility enthusiasts though.

I'd really find a solid ortho who specializes in shoulders. You may need something more invasive to correct the bone defects if it's something greatly impeding your shoulder's function.

How many dislocations have you had? Is it both shoulders? I'm assuming the bone defects were found via CT. Did you have osteoarthiritis at all? Have you had any rheumatology panels? I'd tackle it from all angles if your lifestyle permits it.

You should really find a professional for this if you can't gain any benefit from some PT.

and I’ve abused meth in the past so I hope my bones aren’t weak from that shit

I was a tweaker for a while and I don't really believe it had too much impact on my bones or joints. It was more my brain that took the hit. Everyone is different though.

Honestly, physio is your best bet for now. You really need to rehab that shoulder. I have constantly dislocating shoulders and so have had to build up the muscles surrounding them just to keep them in. Was only able to do that after proper rehab though.

There is a page on Instagram rehabscience he has a website too and honestly, very very good info and advice. Worth a look, I’m pretty sure he has covered this before.