• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

High vs low trapping opioids (is that a thing)?

Synaps3

Bluelighter
Am I remembering this right? I can't find anything with the search or on google anymore. Google has gotten really terrible recently.
Is there such a thing as high or low trapping opioids and does that effect tolerance development? I thought I remember reading that one of those causes less receptor down-regulation.

I only know the terminology from NMDA antagonists and never fully understood the meaning. If I remember it correctly then memantine is a low trapping antagonist while most recreational dissociatives are high trapping and memantine is almost devoid of psychotomimetic properties. Has something to do with in which state the chemical can bind to the receptor complex. . So the same principle would apply to opioids? Would you mind explaining it a bit for me?

I only know the terminology from NMDA antagonists and never fully understood the meaning. If I remember it correctly then memantine is a low trapping antagonist while most recreational dissociatives are high trapping and memantine is almost devoid of psychotomimetic properties. Has something to do with in which state the chemical can bind to the receptor complex. . So the same principle would apply to opioids? Would you mind explaining it a bit for me?
I’ve also been curious about this terminology and would like to know more about it.

again, no expert, but tolerance developement has something to do with beta-arrestin developement.