• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

high paying seasonal work

Mafioso

Bluelight Crew
besides say crab boat fishing? looking for work that I can start out with only a high school diploma.

i wouldn't actually be opposed to crab boat fishing if someone had more details as to how to get into it.

i've got construction experience but I'm sort of looking for something that I can work long hours for weeks straight then have a couple months off maybe more.

anyone know of anything that sounds like this?

I knew someone who worked long hours at gas fields out in Wyoming. He worked long hours (like 12-14 hr. shifts or something) either alone or with one other person. I think it was as a technician of sorts. Mostly, he had to make sure everything kept running... but had a lot of downtime otherwise. I'm not sure about getting *months* off but I think if he scheduled it right the vacations could be fairly long.

I've thought about trying to use my background to get into working with the gas rigs and oil fields but tbh I have the potential to get higher hourly rate fairly close to home. My reason for wanting seasonal work is so that I can pursue my music and hopefully find a way to establish a career. Trying to work a full time job and pursue music passionately is very difficult, at least with my line of work(construction).

I'm not looking to make a fortune but if I could earn a good chunk of my yearly income in a matter of months and maybe work a part time job the rest of the time I think I would be better suited to fully commit to my passion.

The person I know who was doing it was making WAY more than minimum... like, a lot more. Forgive me, I don't know where 'dub city' is. :)

lol i live in the central valley of california, within commuting distance to SF and the rest of the bay area. Alameda county, just east of SF(oakland pretty much) happens to be one of the highest paying rate for electricians, licensed electricians make $40-60/hr straight time and if you want it there are contractors with overtime. might take a little while to find it, but it's out there. I'm going back to school to get my electrician trainee card and in 1-2years maybe less i'll have my electrical license. I'll probably end up staying in it until i'm licensed at the very least, but it does tend to conflict with music. In the little over 4 years i've been in the trade, during the time that I am working it is hard not to neglect music. Not impossible, but I don't feel that I really have the time and energy left to focus on music as I would if I had months of time off with bills paid/ mostly paid. Electrical is a great career but it isn't what I want to do. It seems like a curse sometimes but I've decided long ago music is what I'm going to do.

Sorry, I need to remind myself of that sometimes more than you need to hear it.

but ya long story short, I guess the biggest salary isn't such a priority as having lots of time off. I'm not afraid of hard work and I have opportunity to make decent wage where I am at, which I plan to do again, but I am looking for a change of pace really.

I know there has to be other ways to make a living out there. Tuna fishers can make a couple thousand a catch, but of course they may have to be fishing all the time.

I'd also be open to ideas/ways to work from home. I will have money to invest pretty soon here and an extra bedroom in my house. I have a buddy who does phone repairs and is looking to do it on the side, thinking about possibly joining in with him. Also, if I had seasonal work then i could work from home during time off as I need.

I heard pace maker techs/salesman make upwards of 250k/yr, top guy made something like $800k/yr and doesn't need any schooling. things like that just get my head spinning.

My sister works at a factory during the summer. Basically, that's when all the full timers take time off, so they hire students (and others I think?) to take on their hours during the summer. She makes like $30/hour (Canada though) ... although still pretty good for Canada. My salaried job doesn't make that much if you calculate it hourly.