• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

High-functioning sociopath?

Flickering

Bluelighter
All my life I've had a very strange temperament with regard to other people. In childhood I showed some behaviour, or rather lack thereof (apathy) that concerned me in retrospect. In general, though I have a very strong sense of right and wrong, and usually powerful integrity, and though I have a lot of friends who I genuinely care about... I've noticed I don't tend to actually feel things towards people. Like, if someone is in pain, I don't want them to be, and I try to help, but I might not feel actual distress about it. I had one friend suggest that I might be some brand of sociopath - well-adjusted, well-meaning, but not actually on the same wavelength as most people.

The points against this:

* Powerful sense of morality and justice.
* I get upset when I hear about injustice and suffering in the world, especially if it involves children.
* Plenty of long-time friends, and a proper relationship with them.
* Usually tolerant, compassionate and friendly in day-to-day dealings with people.
* My ideal world would be a harmonious utopia free of death and harm, and I sometimes feel bad we can't all live there instead of here on this shithole planet.
* I have put others' needs first when they needed it, even if they were strangers.
* I'm not subject to the bystander effect; I once helped a lady on the streets who was delirious and injured, while pretty much everyone else ignored her.
* I have a vivid capacity for empathy that was there at a very precocious age.
* I've proved highly susceptible to guilt, shame and remorse.

Points for:

* Several people I care about have ended up in hospital or threatened suicide; while I acted to help, and I truly did want them to be okay, at no point did I feel any real anxiety.
* I seem to want to talk about myself more than about other people most of the time. Maybe I'm just immature. (This is not to say I won't gladly listen or offer advice. I've been told I would make a good therapist.)
* My moral code precludes certain people. If I perceive that someone has willfully harmed innocent people, I consider myself justified in harming them. I have intimidated and even attacked people I considered morally worthless. I never felt remorse over it, if anything I felt a little proud and even enjoyed it. I believe I could even kill the right kind of person (despot, child molester) and never lose a minute's sleep over it.
* I'm a good liar. I'm not a pathological liar, but when I decide to manipulate people, I tend to do it pretty well. But I don't think it's okay to just fool whoever I want.
* I consider the law an institution of men who can beat you up and imprison you if you don't do as they say. If I could get away with it, I would break it wherever it didn't break my own ethical imperatives to do so.
* I don't really feel attached to anyone, even people I really like. I'd miss them if I never saw them again, but there's no one I ultimately couldn't bear to live without. That sounds like a really shitty thing to say, because I value being a good friend, and there are people I consider as close as brothers. And I have a sister. So it's... weird.

My friend put to me that I care more about ideas than people. (She wasn't, for the record, being nasty, just making an honest and clinical observation.) So, I cried when we euthanised my dog because of how she related to me - my first pet, and I'd had her since I was five, so it felt like losing part of myself. I bounced back from that so quickly because I lack that actual, instinctual emotion towards other beings. I care about the idea of a person, the way they relate to me, more than I care about the person themselves. This model made a remarkable lot of sense when she phrased it like that.

I was very uncomfortable with all this at one point. But now, I'm remembering how I felt as a child, before I got the notion into my head that any of this was bad, or that there might be something wrong with me. That sense of being allowed to be myself was fantastic. And so, I'm pretty much okay with it now. It's not like it ever actually affects other people. I suffered some very early childhood traumas that probably had a lot to do with it, so maybe things would've worked out differently otherwise. Anyway, wanted to put that out there to see what you guys think. High-functioning sociopath? Something else?

yea there are a lot of people like this, and to some degree it's healthy to not be overly invested in what happens to other people. i think that people who do concern themselves stand a greater chance of snapping at some point because we're constantly bombarded with news of people dying all over the world day in, day out and it gets overwhelming even when you exercise some sense of detachment.

even if you do share some symptoms of psychopathy, i don't think that title applies as long as you aren't taking pleasure from causing harm to people just because they don't fit with your standards.

Two of the most wonderful, loving and empathetic people in my life, my mother and my older son, describe a similar detachment from their feelings. It is not that they do not have feelings of empathy, care and love, but that they do not get overwhelmed by these feelings the way they perceive others doing. I would not apply the term sociopath to that. Both of these people are people you would want to have around in a crisis because they remain level-headed and very capable of making decisions unclouded by emotional confusion. I would caution you to simply rest in your self-acceptance rather than putting a name, diagnosis or label to it at all.

As far as what your friend said about responding to the idea of a person, particularly how that person relates to your own happiness, I think that is much more common than most people are willing to see or admit. There are schools of thought that go so far as to say that no one ever actually acts from altruism--that acting on behalf of others is a form of feeling good about ourselves. I don't really agree with this completely--I think we act out of empathy and a perk or side effect of that is feeling good ourselves. Yet I don't completely disagree either.

The only things in your post that would concern me is lying to manipulate and physically punishing someone that has hurt someone else. I don't think either of those things ever changes anything for the better. People that hurt others are usually angry and afraid. While I would feel like hurting someone that I witnessed hurting a child or an animal or anyone really, I would stop myself knowing that throwing more anger fear and shame into the mix would not effect any positive change. Better to work at protecting the victim rather than punishing the perpetrator with violence.

Hey cool you did a pro-con chart for diagnosing yourself.

High-functioning

STAHP

Powerful sense of morality and justice.

For Christ's sake there are looters out there and you're just sitting here...........Making pro's and con charts? Come on.

Thujone, actually I do find the state of the world distressing and demoralising. It's the constant reminders that so many other people seem to want to behead each other or whatever's on the news today. Would be much happier if we could all just get along.

Herbavore, thanks. I should clarify that manipulation is something I indulge in probably less than most people, and as for hurting or frightening others, I'm referring to a few incidents in my adolescence, and it is something I have control over. When I was thirteen, I grabbed another boy by the throat for throwing rocks at some younger children, and at me. It felt great. *shrug* I think this willingness to do violence is something others have noticed. I've had a couple of friends ask if I'd be willing to harm someone on their behalf. (Seriously. I declined, though.) As to the altruism thing... it's not so much about getting to feel good about myself, it's more like, I'm more appalled at the corrupted ideal of bad things being done to someone than the fact that the person in question has been harmed. I dunno. Hard to explain.

Shrooms, I don't know where that came from mate, but kindly never speak to me again.

Last edited:
Hey cool you did a pro-con chart for diagnosing yourself.

High-functioning

STAHP

For Christ's sake there are looters out there and you're just sitting here...........Making pro's and con charts? Come on.

seriously uncalled for???

i understand your feelings almost

i feel the same way and wonder if i fit the criteria, I'm very similar to you frankly

i even feel devoid of emotion towards my mother sometimes it troubles me to say the least

quite detached from others unless they are very tight knitted friends and they are what i consider to be the most precious

i also find myself manipulating/adapting to get my own way and find it very rewarding.... thinking about it its a bit scary

You're right I just wanted to place some ironic distance into what you were saying.

Primarily the default answer is:

It's never best to diagnose yourself, we cannot diagnose you, go see a doctor. I apologize for the comedy.

* I don't really feel attached to anyone, even people I really like. I'd miss them if I never saw them again, but there's no one I ultimately couldn't bear to live without. That sounds like a really shitty thing to say, because I value being a good friend, and there are people I consider as close as brothers. And I have a sister. So it's... weird.

I feel the same way, but i don't consider it a negative trait.. it allows for so much personal freedom. You're not tied down to people on an emotional level.. i have lived abroad for almost 1.5 years now and haven't seen my family since but i don't miss them.. i still speak with them on occasion but i don't feel compelled to return home.

I think it's also a deeper understanding that ultimately you are alone in this world, and no one can help you but yourself. When you fully realize this.. you let go of all attachments to people because no one can satisfy that deep yearning for peace within you except yourself.

If you got that whole "high functioning sociopath" shit from Sherlock (Which is admittedly a great show), I would like you to know that a sociopath would NOT admit or entertain the thought that he or she is a sociopath.

There are some elements you might want to consider before ruling yourself some kind of sociopath.

They tend to be manipulators, lie frequently to get what they want (and go to great lengths to make you believe their lies), and do not experience remorse when they negatively affect someone else. It's easy for them to be cruel to humans and animals. They also tend to be highly intelligent, or have big egos (i.e. they are the centre of the universe). I don't think being calm under duress in of itself makes you one. It's one thing to be apathetic, it's another to go out of your way to cause misery and suffering. Do you revel in the torment of others?

I dated someone who I consider to be sociopathic. He was extremely charming at first and then showed his true colours later. He also turned violent, but we were equally matched so he didn't end up really hurting me. I remember that he used to stare at me for long periods of time and I thought he was just being enamored but I was too stupid to realize that he was just being creepy as fuck. My psychologist friend told me that sociopaths don't get uncomfortable with eye contact so they never look away when you talk to them, and it's totally true. In conversation I would glance all over the place and when I'd look back he was always still staring at me in the same fixed way. He also fit the "intelligent" criterion because he had his PhD in Biology, which gave him credibility with people so they would let their guard down more.

Since that guy I can smell psychos a mile away.

I don't think you are any kind of sociopath because you say you do have remorse sometimes and that you do have empathy for some people. Sociopaths don't have either. Maybe you are slightly autistic or maybe you are just self-protective due to early traumatic experiences. Most likely you are one variation of normal. I'm alot like you in some ways -- good liar, willing to hurt bad people, little respect for the law and those who enforce it -- and maybe worse than you. I know I'm not a sociopath because I can love, have empathy for some others, and definitely feel remorse for some of the shitty things I've done.