• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids High but hurting?????

tommygirl

Bluelighter
Is it possible to be high on an opioid but still able to feel pain? I have a couple stupid body parts that are chronically painful and sometimes find that they still hurt after taking much larger than prescribed doses of Vicodin or Percocet. But also I'm not entirely sure that I'm even actually getting high even at these doses (30-50 mg range). Is this normal?

Is it possible to be high on an opioid but still able to feel pain? I have a couple stupid body parts that are chronically painful and sometimes find that they still hurt after taking much larger than prescribed doses of Vicodin or Percocet. But also I'm not entirely sure that I'm even actually getting high even at these doses (30-50 mg range). Is this normal?
called tolerance

Ugggggh, this is happening again! Took 400mg of Tramadol spaced at half hour intervals. I feel relaxed and a little numb in most of my body. But my crappy teeth still hurt. I know I gotta go get them pulled but first I need to find out what insurance plans my dentist accepts and get one of those plans, cause she is going to charge me $1800 just for the first "working visit" (as opposed to the very first visit I had with this dentist, which just consisted of her looking at my teeth, taking x-rays and discussing plans for future work).

But anyway, back to the subject at hand. It just seems wrong to be feeling pleasant effects of a painkiller while still feeling pain. I was told that opioids first tackle any pain you have and only after that, if there's any left after all pain has been relieved, then the "extra leftover" medication gets to work in your brain to make you feel high.

Still I might call the dentist and tell them what's up with me in a few hours when they open. Maybe there is something they can do on an emergency basis since I'm in acute pain right now.

Yeah unfortunately it's still possible to feel pain on opiates. They don't remove the pain, but flood you system with dopamine so for the most part you don't care.
Strong enough pain can sing higher than opiates sadly; the only way to remove the pain entirely is doses strong enough to knock you out, or mixing with anaesthetics (obviously do not attempt this).

Speak to your dentist but it seems like you really need the surgery. Hope this can be resolved soon, I hear teeth shit can be an absolute nightmare.

This is something I deal with on a near daily basis. I want to get off if kratom, but its really a bitch trying to quit your primary pain control.