• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Hidden menace of the drivers high on drugs: Six out of ten motorists are failing new

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Hidden menace of the drivers high on drugs: Six out of ten motorists are failing new roadside tests
By RAY MASSEY and TOM PAYNE FOR THE DAILY MAIL
24 May 2015

290C2B4200000578-3095433-image-a-17_1432505054630.jpg

New roadside ‘drugalyser’ tests have revealed a hidden epidemic of drug-driving across Britain.

Police forces are recording positive results for as many as 56 per cent of suspects who are pulled over, figures uncovered by the Daily Mail show.

The new testing kits – similar to the breathalyzers used to catch drink drivers – were introduced in March in the wake of legislation to crack down on motorists who get behind the wheel after taking drugs.

They enable police to instantly detect cannabis and cocaine at the roadside. Eventually it is hoped the tests will be able to recognise 14 other drugs, both legal and illegal.

But police forces are already recording alarmingly high hit rates – with most forces saying around 50 per cent of motorists they pull over are testing positive.

The figures suggest many people have been driving after taking drugs because they are convinced they can get away with it.
Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin last night said the findings, obtained by a survey of police forces, vindicated the push to make drug-driving as socially unacceptable as drink-driving.
He said: ‘I want to remove dangerous drivers from our roads, including those who think it’s acceptable to drive under the influence of drugs. The law has made it easier for police to secure convictions and will help save lives.’
The new law came in on March 2, and sets permissible limits at very low levels – bordering on ‘zero tolerance’ – for eight illegal drugs such as cannabis, cocaine and ecstasy.

It also covers eight prescription drugs, typically used for insomnia or anxiety, with limits exceeding normal prescribed doses. Roadside drugalysers can detect cannabis or cocaine in the saliva, but laboratory testing is needed for other banned substances.

Motorists convicted of drug-driving face a minimum of a year’s ban, a hefty fine and up to six months in prison.

Cannabis is by far the most common drug being detected, accounting for around 80 per cent of the positive results, according to the Department for Transport. Overall, the highest hit rate has been in South Yorkshire where 48 out of 85 roadside tests proved positive.

2898DA5700000578-3095433-image-a-18_1432505113313.jpg

continued here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ten-motorists-failing-new-roadside-tests.html

How long can they detect cannabis for? If its longer than like 12 hours than I don't see how they can claim anyone is "under the influence".

A lot of misinformation about pharmacology in the comment section.

If it's still in their system then it does mean they may still suffer some impairment, thats like saying someone still has signs of alcohol in their system but they are okay to drive.

Benzo's take up to two weeks to leave your system, and in that time an intolerant user will remain drowsy - so presumably there's a similar effect from Cannabis, especially in someone unaccustomed to using it?

It serves no use to argue that testing positive does not mean one is impaired. Of course it does

The issue as to whether or not cannabis is a driving hazard, like being drunk most certainly is, is not yet clear. One study found that being super high on cannabis was an impediment to safe driving. Other studies have even found a decrease of 10% in car accidents among regular cannabis users. Other drugs, like (meth)amphetamine, actually improve reaction times, and dextroamphetamine is still given by the USAF to pilots when they're out on long bombing runs. Also, people take a whole smorgasbord of prescription drugs, some psychoactive, all the time, and no one really worries about that. Why should illegal drugs be treated any differently?

Up until about a year ago I was a regular, daily, heavy cannabis smoker for about thirty years. And a driver for twenty of those years. Then I got a medical condition which meant I have had to give up smoking anything.

I swear I am a less safe driver over the last 12 months than at anytime previously. I now drive faster and with less caution and attention. I definitely attribute my previous more careful driving to being permanently stoned and acting accordingly, I.e taking more care and attention in my driving.

Up until about a year ago I was a regular, daily, heavy cannabis smoker for about thirty years. And a driver for twenty of those years. Then I got a medical condition which meant I have had to give up smoking anything.

I swear I am a less safe driver over the last 12 months than at anytime previously. I now drive faster and with less caution and attention. I definitely attribute my previous more careful driving to being permanently stoned and acting accordingly, I.e taking more care and attention in my driving.

I can relate to your post.

Other drugs, like (meth)amphetamine, actually improve reaction times, and dextroamphetamine is still given by the USAF to pilots when they're out on long bombing runs. Also, people take a whole smorgasbord of prescription drugs, some psychoactive, all the time, and no one really worries about that. Why should illegal drugs be treated any differently?

There's a difference between a decrease in fatigue and improved reaction times when a stimulant is taken in relatively small and regulated doses and the effect it has on an individual's driving when they're binging on high doses, sleep deprived, possibly suffering psychosis, etc. Granted it isn't as universally detrimental as alcohol (or benzos, which have caused more car crashes among friends than every other drug combined), but comparing the use of amphetamines amongst air force pilots to recreational users driving is kind of silly.

I'm also fairly sure that modafinil has superseded d-amphetamine as the "go pill" of choice for air force pilots in recent years.

The use of numbers in the headline is misleading at best. 6 out of 10? Try 4.4 out of 10 or less than half.

Also, the "agreed" upon "impairment limits" are not agreed upon universally in human performance toxicology.