• NMI Moderators: Snafu in the Void

Hi there

Frnk

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,

I just signed up as I stumbled over a "phenibut" thread. Actually I wanted to ask for some input there, but for some reason I can't, so maybe I should introduce myself first.

I mainly have experience with plant based drugs. I have been pretty much into cannabis and most classic psychedelics for quite some time.

However, I quit cannabis about a year ago and only occasionally indulge in DMT these days.

I'm somewhat in a shitty situation, going through a divorce and feel very depressed and anxious about the near future, without being about to get a break apart from the occasional low dose of Kratom I allow myself to have about once a week. That provides me with some relieve and gives me a chance to look at my situation from another more rational angle.

However I have been hooked on Kratom about 15 years ago and I don't want to take it more than once a week for that reason.

So I have been looking for other substances I could use as a tool to get through these rough times. I checked out kava, but that's not available where I live.
However I can easily get some phenibut, but I am in two minds about this substance.
If I would get it I would only take a low dose like a 500mg capsule whenever it's absolutely necessary.

I don't want to use it recreationally, I just want some relief from the anxiety the divorce I am going through is causing me.

It would be great to get some input from experienced users. Do you think it's best to stay away from it in my situation or do you think I might benefit?

Thanks so much for any input.

Welcome 😊. Sorry to hear of your divorce and anxiety. Life altering situations can be quite stressful. I lost my husband and totally understand the stress of worrying about your future
Only thing I know of is benzos and they're addictive if improperly used and for a long time.
From experience I would highly suggest to not use any drug aside from natural non addictive ones. Chamomile and valerian root work for some
I have zero experience with phenbut so hopefully someone more knowledgeable on it can chime in

Thanks for the warm welcome and understanding. I am sorry to hear about your husband!
Yes, I wouldn't want to use benzos, but Chamomile and Valerian are too subtle for me.
Maybe it's best to just bite my teeth and deal with the situation. It's just the hardest thing I ever had to go through so far in my life and I feel it's far from over.

I have tried exercise, meditation, etc and I still do, but on certain days I just feel like I can't cope anymore, which is why I looked into this as a last resort.

Thank you. Unfortunately sometimes we just have to go through the emotions. I used drugs and years later I'm an addict so I don't advise people to do the same, just gave me more problems.
Talk to people, in real life or here. It helps sometimes to just vent and know people are there.
And try to remember what you're feeling now won't last. As cliche as it sounds time helps

Phenibut is a tricky one. When used responsibly and sparingly, it could provide some relief, but if used in high doses or daily it can be extremely problematic. Phenibut addiction is surprisingly bad, it's something you do not want to take daily.

I would definitely recommend kava over phenibut. Very unfortunate it's not available to you :(

Welcome to BL

Hi everyone,

I just signed up as I stumbled over a "phenibut" thread. Actually I wanted to ask for some input there, but for some reason I can't, so maybe I should introduce myself first.

I mainly have experience with plant based drugs. I have been pretty much into cannabis and most classic psychedelics for quite some time.

However, I quit cannabis about a year ago and only occasionally indulge in DMT these days.

I'm somewhat in a shitty situation, going through a divorce and feel very depressed and anxious about the near future, without being about to get a break apart from the occasional low dose of Kratom I allow myself to have about once a week. That provides me with some relieve and gives me a chance to look at my situation from another more rational angle.

However I have been hooked on Kratom about 15 years ago and I don't want to take it more than once a week for that reason.

So I have been looking for other substances I could use as a tool to get through these rough times. I checked out kava, but that's not available where I live.
However I can easily get some phenibut, but I am in two minds about this substance.
If I would get it I would only take a low dose like a 500mg capsule whenever it's absolutely necessary.

I don't want to use it recreationally, I just want some relief from the anxiety the divorce I am going through is causing me.

It would be great to get some input from experienced users. Do you think it's best to stay away from it in my situation or do you think I might benefit?

Thanks so much for any input.
Hello, my condolences about suffering depression. It’s not a good feeling and not a good lifestyle living it.
I’ve been around the block with a lot of easily obtainable substances including beta-phenyl-Gammabutric Acid or Phenibut. Now I have to warn you about this chemical. First off, I’ve used a lot of Gas Station grade products with this as an ingredient. I began having sleep disturbances and episodes of sleep paralysis that were so bad my fiancé had to call 911 because the only thing I could manage was weak “help”. Each time lasted 15-20 minutes of me being trapped in my body unable to move and then, unable to wake up. Now this does fit some of the adverse effects of Phenibut, and it happened 3 times that day.
It helped a lot with my mood and felt similar to GABApentin but had much worse effects. Mostly after it wore off. I’ve also heard lots of people say not to take it more than once a week because you can develop a Dependency to it very fast. Once a week at the most is what a lot of people say. So be careful and do your homework because nobody wants to see you end up with more problems than you had before.
I’ve also heard as adverse effects people can go into a light coma from overdoing it. Just be careful, Don’t mix with drugs but DEFINITELY NEVER DRINK ALCOHOL WITH PHENIBUT.
I know that can seem inviting to say that but I’m serious. It’s very unsafe to mix.
I use Kratom as well, once a week is perfect, so good job on that. It can be hard when you first start Kratom to realize less is actually more. I abused it horrible at first but it began affecting my health so I cut down tremendously.
Phenibut is a GABAgeric, but works in similar to Benzodiazepines. And benzodiazepines work similar to alcohol. Personally, if you are on benzodiazepines or mix alcohol I don’t know how Phenibut would interact but risk is much higher for overdose using GABAgeric, Benzodiazepines, and/or Alcohol.
So if you do use Phenibut be wary of the risks of an overdose or adverse reactions.

I've found clonidine (a blood pressure medication) helps quite a bit with anxiety and sleep.
It's not addictive so a doctor would more then likely prescribe it.

Thanks again, you guys have helped me making my decision not to try it.

@Jen X, I'm by no means a stranger do drugs, I just always made sure to choose whatever I put into my body very carefully. Thinking about trying phenibut felt risky, which is the reason why I posted here.
With regards to talking to people about my situation, I have come to a point where I feel like a broken record. I kind of feel annoyed by myself, I'm just tired telling others about how I feel. My situation has been going on for quite a while now.

Also thanks to Snafu and Scarecrow.
Luckily I haven't touched alcohol in 4 years now. It's not that I have been a proper alcoholic, I just don't enjoy the effects at all anymore.
Other than that all I ever did I grew or extracted myself, partially for harm reduction and partially because it was just a rewarding and fun activity to do.

When I first got to know Kratom, it was pretty much sold as being non addictive, so I got myself a bunch, really liked it and took some everyday... till I ran out and figured out it's quite addictive after all.
I learned my lesson on that one and feel like I have my consumption under control.