• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Hey! New Member, familiar w Bluelight. Question about Topamax for anxiety

Pharmacology101

Greenlighter
I am currently working w my doctor to taper of a 10 year prescription of 6mg a day Xanax. It's been hell. I was today just prescribed topamax from a new psychiatrist (who was a complete ass) & from what I've read it doesn't seem to have anti anxiety properties but more for anti convulsant & migraines. I do have horrible headaches regularly coming off of Xanax but I'm a little worried about taking this medication. I was just curious if anyone else had been prescribed this medication in conjunction with a Valium taper & if what their experience was. I am going to do more reaserch but everything I've read makes me think this isn't the right medication for me

Last edited:
Hi Pharmacology101~I've been on Topamax for.... Well over 10-12yrs now, but prescribed originally for prevention of my migraines and then later I found out I had a seizure disorder also!! So now I'm on 550mg/day of Topamax!! I guess what I'm saying is that in ALL that time I've been using it, I've never once heard of it being used to taper off benzo's?!?! I know it says on the Topamax script that it"May cause drowsiness" but I have to say, I've never felt drowsy taking it,not even when I started~Just some uncomfortable pins&needle sensations in my hands&feet!! Also, one benefit, if you're trying to lose weight, Topamax totally curbs your appetite-I mean Like Zero appetite!! I actually had to go on a nutrition plan bc of my lack of appetite... Anyway, sorry to veer so far off topic, but that's My experience w/Topamax!! I can't think of Anyone I know that was weaned off of a Benzo w/Topamax?? Sure seems like an odd choice~I understand them not wanting u to have seizures while ur coming off but they should be bringing u down slowly and replacing it w/something that replaces GABA in ur brain I would think?? I wish u all the best!!

Topirimate (Topamax) isn't really an appropriate choice for withdrawing from a 6mg/day Alprazolam habit. Is there any kind of taper taking place or is he suggesting that Topirimate should be sufficient to manage your symptoms? That would be insane. Let us know some details OP!