• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Heroin

thokline

Greenlighter
I'm a practicing physician. I have been researching heroin addition. It has come clear to me that it is not a disease of bad people, it is a genetic disease triggered by opioids , not created from opioids. it is not like other addicts that we call type 1 addiction, where the substance causes the addiction, like cocaine, and alcohol. opioids and heroin addict that we call type 2, is no one's fault. it is like other addict, where it doesn't start til trying it.

This is big, if it is true, and I think it is, it is going to change how people see heroin addict.

in order to prove this, i need to know what it was like trying it for the first time, whether it was pills, prescriptions, or street drugs. I want to know what it was like on the first or second time taking the drug. I don't want to give any hints because that could bias you.

-Dr. Thomas Kline

P.S. I don't need to know personal info, just reactions you had to the drugs.

But a lot of people try opioids and do not like them -- personality has a lot to do with it, as do inaccurate expectations.

I self-medicated on one occasion with hydrocodone for anxiolysis in an acute, 100 per cent point-source instance and felt that here is something that can fix a lot of things. Luckily for me, I guess, two months later the first part of my awful spine problems started and I went on to become a multi-decade chronic pain patient who was actually assessed by psychologists as low risk for addiction and an exceptionally good risk for narcotic pain therapy because of family history, attitude, personality, relevant knowledge, medical history and all that.

I think that many unsupervised opioid users are self-medicating for one thing or another, and that actual addiction is the juxtaposition of an acquired metabolic disorder (tolerance and physical dependence) and a phobia about withdrawal, and it becomes visible only because of economic and political factors imposed by prohibition and the Taliban-like attitude in places like the USA about narcotics. I, for one, never developed the phobia and avoid withdrawal not only because of the crippling pain but because the doctors have informed me that it could precipitate a coronary. Therefore, the 7 in 100 000 iatrogenic opioid addiction rate the CDC and others have found in the past.

Eyes wide open I went into it with. Heroin, which I have received medicinally a few times and on other occasions, does not addict people. It is a lifeless substance with no volition of its own.