• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Heroin vs Hydromorphone

Opiatelover7423

Greenlighter
Has anyone compared heroin to hydromorphone? Basically want to know what is the better high/rush? And anything else for or against either one. Both of them IV, I may be able to get my hands on diamorphine 500mg pure amps and hydromorphone 50mg/ml amps. I have tried heroin in the past and was using it quite regularly for a while when I couldn?t get hold of oxy but have never tried hydromorphone. Would also like opinions on whether IV oxy is any good, I use oxy daily but have only ever taken it orally due to not wanting to inject pills. Have also had IV and oral morphine in past but never IVd tablets. Thanks in advance for any answers.

Hey Opiatelover and welcome to Bluelight! Do you think that when you have a free moment you could take some time to read through our forum guidelines to try to understand a little bit more of what we are about? We are Harm Reduction, meaning we help adults who have chosen to use drugs, do so safely. We don't field threads that are essentially just rating the recreational potential of different drugs.

Basically, what we would be helping you with, would be proper dosage and general safety, but not anything like this. No harm done at all, I just wanted to let you know.

Hi Keif, sorry about that. I have used bluelight for quite a long time but have never posted so have a general understanding of what its for which is obviously harm reduction, but I wasnt aware I shouldnt ask peoples opinions on preferred drug etc. On harm reduction side of things could someone tell me if I should just look up the equivalent dose of hydro to oxy and take the equivalent dose to my tolerance of oxy? Or should I not trust the cross tolerance? I have a high tolerance to oxy 400mg - 600mg daily but cant remember the last time I got high off oxy, I could triple my daily dose and take it in one and wouldnt feel any different. Ive continued to take oxy daily to avoid WDs and for chronic pain. The reason Im interested in the hydro is ive recently been able to get hold of it and Im sure Ive seen in the past people saying its the best of the best when it comes to opiates if its injected but I cant seem to find any info on it now so I guess ill have to try it and find out for myself. If anyone can answer the questions relating to dose/cross tolerance it would be really appreciated. And thanks again keif for pointing out what shouldnt have been asked, wont happen again ?

Last edited:
The seminal SALOME study showed that pure heroin (diacetylmorphine) and hydromorphone have essentially indistinguishable effects when administered via injection, with hydromorphone being twice as potent as heroin. Hydromorphone seems to be somewhat less likely to lead to serious side effects. That said, the difference in effect and dosage may vary when comparing hydromorphone to street heroin, which is likely impure and may be adulterated with other active compounds.

From what Ive read I thought hydro was more like 5-7 times more potent than heroin when both are administered via IV, is that not correct then? And yes obviously comparing it to street H would be difficult as no one ever knows the true purity of street H, all previous use of heroin has been street heroin but for this comparison both the hydro and heroin are pure pharmaceutical grade intended for injection.

Only thing I can add is that IV hydromorphone makes my body ache for a second after it hits and H has never done this. Wonder what that's about?

From what Ive read I thought hydro was more like 5-7 times more potent than heroin when both are administered via IV, is that not correct then? And yes obviously comparing it to street H would be difficult as no one ever knows the true purity of street H, all previous use of heroin has been street heroin but for this comparison both the hydro and heroin are pure pharmaceutical grade intended for injection.
You have to equate all the doses to morphine.
Just look up an opiate equivalence chart.
I know for sure hydromorph is not 5-7x stronger than lab grade heroin. They?ve on par to each other IMO. I actually preferred IV hydro over H.

The seminal SALOME study showed that pure heroin (diacetylmorphine) and hydromorphone have essentially indistinguishable effects when administered via injection, with hydromorphone being twice as potent as heroin. Hydromorphone seems to be somewhat less likely to lead to serious side effects. That said, the difference in effect and dosage may vary when comparing hydromorphone to street heroin, which is likely impure and may be adulterated with other active compounds.

SJP, thanks a lot for posting the link to SALOME! I had totally forgotten about that trial. I remember desperately wanting to be a part of it when it first started :( Anyway, I think that we can justify keeping this guy open for now? I think having this information readily available could only be of benefit to users?