• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Heroin and Quinine

Hammilton

Bluelighter
I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but I was reading the other day that in 1929 there was a malaria outbreak in New York city caused by needle sharing among addicts. As users were dying, dealers decided to start cutting their heroin with quinine.

Can anyone confirm this story, and if so, are there are good sources to read about it?

Second, is there even one other case where dealers cut their product with something intended to help the user?

Levamisole is added to cocaine to get rid of those pesky tapeworms </sarcasm>

It seems more likely to me that quinine hydrochloride would be used as a cut due to its relatively similar characteristics (bitter, acid reaction to litmus, etc) to heroin, as opposed to something ike sugar, salt, or sand.

Bitter as shit, too. I wish they'd use sugar, the drip would be a lot nicer :) I don't shoot it (well, I barely use it even) but you can tell there's quinine in all of it.

I'm told that quinine also makes for a better rush and makes you itchy. I dunno how you could tell, because I doubt many outside of Colombia and Afghanistan have sampled heroin sans quinine.

I'm wondering if the story is true, though. Probably hard to verify given the nature of the business, but if in 1928 quinine was not used, then there was a malaria outbreak and suddenly it appeared as a cut, I'd consider that a fairly plausible story.

I think levamisole is being used as a heroin cut now. The outbreak of people with gross open sores they were blaming on 'Krokodil' (except that toxicology and gc/ ms have found no sign of desomorphine!) Because there was apparently someone in Arizona or Nevada (I remember it was hot and Mexican-y ;)) who made a batch and the people he did it to overdosed. I don't remember anything from the story that said people developed the scaly skin in that case. I still don't think the skin thing is the result of desomorphine but of the solvents and precursors that aren't washed properly.

Please note: this is completely self-produced conjecture on my part, but I believe it's an interesting theory nonetheless.

Inositol is commonly used as a cut in cocaine, and, less commonly as a cut in meth. It may be a cheap bulk sweetener, but I read a study recently that examined the relationship between psychostimulants (specifically AMPH) ability to modulate/release 5HT and the levels of PIP-2(PhosphatidylInositolPhosphate-2) in the brain. They found a direct correlation, aka diminished PIP2= diminished empathogenic effect. Anyone who's used an amphetamine before should know that the first couple times, there's a sense of universal connectedness that never returns no matter how much tolerance may drop. My theory goes a such: consumption of inositol has been proven to promote production of the various phosphatidylinositol secondary messenger compounds, probably PIP2 as well. If this is the case, consuming the simple glucose isomer alongside a stimulant may dramatically lower a specific type of tolerance to the drug's serotonergic effects, making a product that is cut-free actually less euphorogenic. Am I the only person to have pondered this one, or does somebody out there know what in god's name I'm talking about? It sure would be a boost to the old self-esteem to know my theory could hold at least some water. %)

My guess is inositol is used as a cut because it's a basically tasteless white, water soluble powder?

This is true, yes. But wouldn't it be cool if it also happened to potentiate the high, therefore being a better deal for your money than a drug with a different cut or perhaps even a pure product?

I thought that was the logic behind levamisole being used?

Is that the reason? I thought the CIA was just throwing it in to kill all the drug addicts.

Seriously though how does levamisole contribute to the high? I see hints at altered monoamine transmission but I can't find anything conclusive.

Horses metabolise it to aminorex.

I think it's added to improve some secondary aspect (crystal formation/shape?) and not as a centrally active drug.

ACTUALLY. Quinine slows down the metabolism of opiates. it helps prevent an od thats why its used as a cut. Also it was used in the 20S 30s, and during the Vietnam n Korean War as a cut for heroin in America n for American soldiers bc morphine was expensive to produce and the quinine helped combat viruses. also in central and South America to help combat malaria bc quinine is an expensive import for 3rdworld countries. FYI

This is true, yes. But wouldn't it be cool if it also happened to potentiate the high, therefore being a better deal for your money than a drug with a different cut or perhaps even a pure product?
its doesn't potentiate like magnesium but slow. down the metabolic break down SWIM uses hylands homeopathic leg cramps OCD as cut bc it contains both quinine and magnesium so it potentiates, extends duration, and doubles volume without affecting potency

Horses metabolise it to aminorex.

I think it's added to improve some secondary aspect (crystal formation/shape?) and not as a centrally active drug.

So, we should feed horses levamisole and feed on their blood?

Dealers generally use what is close to hand buy they seem to be as susceptible to the many myths as users. In the UK, HAT uses diamorphine freebase with 10% caffeine added for users who smoke their heroin. I presume it lowers the MP of diamorphine so has a practical advantage. Maybe that is the common element between paracetamol, piracetam, caffeine, quinine and all of the other 'cuts' that have become myths. Those 4 are common; standard if you will. They all have physical properties that approximate those of diamorphine freebase.