• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Here we go again. It's Wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa time... (Methadone/Heroin/Morphine)

BeanThereDoneThat!

Greenlighter
I am currently withdrawing from Methadone & Heroin... (Oh yes, it is bad. You never do remember just how BAD it really is :!)

I've been using 90ml of done (Methadone) and IVing at least 0.6g of heroin daily for the last few years... :(

Lucky I have some MST Tabs to keep me from punching walls and crying too loudly in sorrow for oneself =D

So basically, I've been taking around 400mg of MST for the past few days, and things where ok apart from sleep. But now I am starting to develop the usual sensitive-all-over-body 8( one would associate with the flu or (withdrawal), along side other things such as bone and muscle ache, plus I'm sure tonight I am going to find it hard to sleep. I don't foresee myself getting tired at this point but don't want to overuse the morphine as I will run out too fast, and I've been told methadone takes ages to fuck+off out of my system :|

Okay, okay... Cut to the chase right: I'm wondering what you guys could/would suggest I do with the rest of my morphine to make this withdrawal tail off without an exorcism style rape of my body :?

I'm trying to avoid the usual stuff such as =D:
  1. Desire to take ones life (suicidal thoughts)
  2. Diarrhea (obviously x2983489723)
  3. Bile/Blood/Other Puking (retching & ripping stomach is prohibited)
  4. Inconceivable pain (encapsulating every inch of body)
  5. Anxiousness/Heart Palpitations
  6. Inability Sleeping
  7. Inability Eating
  8. Runny nose/Blury Vision
  9. Crying/Yawning/Other
  10. Super Restlessness (over every inch of body)
  11. Headaches (head feeling like it's going to explode)

Okay... Now this reminds me how bad it CAN be and I'm defo no where near the tail end of the methadone, I'm just feeling it a little currently. At this point I believe I'm feeling the Heroin withdrawal to a degree...
I know that Morphine doesn't absorb well orally so basically I'm only getting 30% of what I take, plus it's 5 times weaker than the heroin... therefore I'm basically facing some real shite!!! 8o

I'm going to update this thread as my situation changes to document the way I deal with this and how bad it actually gets. Believe me, I know how bad it can get, I have come off of a really large amount of gear over a gram daily, without any other substitutes, and that was the hell I described + more in the symptoms list.

Finally... Anyone thinking of going down the road of opiates, take this advice: If you have nothing better to do with you life or time... i.e no talents, no jobs, no girls/guys, no food, no whatever <= go get some of this good shit that is out there!;) (by good shit I mean the other things in life, other than drugs cos they will never make you happy.)Heroin is the worst fucking thing in the world to be addicted to, and honestly the pleasure factor of it is really low in comparison to having a healthy life that is fulfilling, only when you hit your rock bottom you understand this :X

Anyway enough preaching, I'm going to post and see what I can get from the users of this forum... 8)
Thanks for reading, have a good day (whenever you read this) and please leave a comment if you have anything useful you can tell me/others

Last edited:
Maybe seek some medical help. Comfort meds. Inter rectal morphine may work better then oral. You can sometimes get a legal script of opioids or opiates at the hospital to last you three days.

NAABT has a print out for this rule on their website. As far as suicidal thoughts you can always look up some crises lines for your state or county. Hang in it will get better. If you start vomiting blood go to the hospital ASAP.

----This would be a great addition to sober living . You should read some of the stories on there . You CAN kick methadone. Dont listen to the naysayers that say it a lifetime drug. Find a doctor and see if you can get some gabapentin and clonidine. Listen to music and find good movies that is mentality soothing to you . Good luck

Have you stopped using at 90 mg? I imagine you can stave off withdrawals with 400 mg of morphine but it would be much easier to reduce the dose of methadone to a level from which you might quit more comfortably. If that's not an option, I'd do a taper with morphine taken rectally as that will save you a lot of the compound and allow a longer taper.

I've kicked methadone after 2.5 years on it, my daily dose was only 40 mg with 55 kg weight (~120 pounds) and I tapered down to 10 mg over a month but at that point I was already in withdrawal so I decided to stop instead of further dose reduction. I suppose it was too steep a dose reduction, I don't know how it would have turned out if I'd done it otherwise but I did it and that made me very proud, it's well worth the effort to become free. The rough part of the withdrawal lasted a whole month for me with residual symptoms still lingering after the second month which landed me on buprenorphine but this drug is a different story than heroin or methadone even when used long-term on maintenance. What helped me tremendously and actually walked me through that withdrawal was cannabis. Every day I smoked and it made the pain a lot more bearable, especially restless legs, also helped a lot with anxiety, insomnia, lack of appetite and made me pretty much indifferent to depersonalization/derealization. Indica-dominant strain would be preferable with Sativa-dominant definitely to be avoided. However, one thing I noticed and have seen many people report the same is that cannabis worsen anxiety if one was dependent on benzodiazepines. When I kicked methadone, I'd been at 6 mg of clonazepam for several years, so perhaps it took the edge off anxiogenic effects of cannabis, but once I quit benzodiazepines, even a few years after cannabis would always make me anxious especially among people even though before that it'd let me relax alone or with other people, so that's something to beware if you have a history of benzodiazepine use. If it could help you, I think your withdrawal would be much less painful, it really was a "miracle" cure for me and before methadone withdrawal I only smoked cannabis a handful times.

For diarrhea I used low doses of loperamide, I never needed more than 4 mg at a time to stop diarrhea during withdrawals, I wouldn't take any more than you need, I certainly wouldn't use it as a substitute for methadone or any other opioid as it doesn't work centrally unless you take 10-20 times the normal dose, that is potentially cardiotoxic. Other than cannabis and normal-dose loperamide I personally didn't use anything else.

There are a few other options. For a lot of somatic symptoms like heart palpitations, hot flashes, sweating or restless legs alpha-2 agonists like clonidine, lofexidine, and tizanidine work very well, but for any of these you will need a prescription. The first two ones have been commonly used to alleviate opioid withdrawal and before methadone clonidine was actually the best medicine there was to help with withdrawal so it's possible you could get a script from a doctor. Beware these are powerful adrenolytics and they can strongly decrease your blood pressure, I remember taking one quarter of a tizanidine pill prescribed as a muscle relaxant and it immobilized me for one day, so mixing it with an opioid still in your system during a taper is a bad idea and may be dangerous.

For anxiety and insomnia you might use benzodiazepines, personally I would stick to long-acting ones to avoid rebound anxiety, take them only when absolutely necessary and not take them for longer than 2 weeks overall, 1 month at most as methadone withdrawal takes some time unfortunately. Clorazepate is a weak benzodiazepine and in my opinion the most forgiving being a prodrug for a partial agonist nordazepam which has a very long half-life.

There are really no meds that can eliminate withdrawal symptoms totally except for weaker opioids which at a proper dose can stave off withdrawals and be used to taper. Codeine and dihydrocodeine are two such opioids but with high tolerance histamine-related side effects may be more of a problem than mild opioid effects being helpful, 90 mg of methadone a day is too high a dose to consider these. Buprenorphine is another one, it's not really weak, despite being a partial agonist it's actually a much stronger analgesic than codeine and you could use it for a taper but you would need to get your methadone dose preferably to 20 mg and then wait around 2 days from your last methadone dose before dosing the first dose of buprenorphine. If you wanted to go for a buprenorphine taper, the transition would be easier from morphine after reducing the dose for some time, then stopping and going into full withdrawal.

Whichever way you decide to quit, I wish you best of luck. I suggest that if it's possible, do a taper, that way you will not suffer as much and you will have a higher chance of succeeding.

Damn I feel awful for you man. Methadone withdrawal is absolutely unbearable to me

I am currently withdrawing from Methadone & Heroin... (Oh yes, it is bad. You never do remember just how BAD it really is :!)

I've been using 90ml of done (Methadone) and IVing at least 0.6g of heroin daily for the last few years... :(

Lucky I have some MST Tabs to keep me from punching walls and crying too loudly in sorrow for oneself =D

So basically, I've been taking around 400mg of MST for the past few days, and things where ok apart from sleep. But now I am starting to develop the usual sensitive-all-over-body 8( one would associate with the flu or (withdrawal), along side other things such as bone and muscle ache, plus I'm sure tonight I am going to find it hard to sleep. I don't foresee myself getting tired at this point but don't want to overuse the morphine as I will run out too fast, and I've been told methadone takes ages to fuck+off out of my system :|

Okay, okay... Cut to the chase right: I'm wondering what you guys could/would suggest I do with the rest of my morphine to make this withdrawal tail off without an exorcism style rape of my body :?

I'm trying to avoid the usual stuff such as =D:
  1. Desire to take ones life (suicidal thoughts)
  2. Diarrhea (obviously x2983489723)
  3. Bile/Blood/Other Puking (retching & ripping stomach is prohibited)
  4. Inconceivable pain (encapsulating every inch of body)
  5. Anxiousness/Heart Palpitations
  6. Inability Sleeping
  7. Inability Eating
  8. Runny nose/Blury Vision
  9. Crying/Yawning/Other
  10. Super Restlessness (over every inch of body)
  11. Headaches (head feeling like it's going to explode)

Okay... Now this reminds me how bad it CAN be and I'm defo no where near the tail end of the methadone, I'm just feeling it a little currently. At this point I believe I'm feeling the Heroin withdrawal to a degree...
I know that Morphine doesn't absorb well orally so basically I'm only getting 30% of what I take, plus it's 5 times weaker than the heroin... therefore I'm basically facing some real shite!!! 8o

I'm going to update this thread as my situation changes to document the way I deal with this and how bad it actually gets. Believe me, I know how bad it can get, I have come off of a really large amount of gear over a gram daily, without any other substitutes, and that was the hell I described + more in the symptoms list.

Finally... Anyone thinking of going down the road of opiates, take this advice: If you have nothing better to do with you life or time... i.e no talents, no jobs, no girls/guys, no food, no whatever <= go get some of this good shit that is out there!;) (by good shit I mean the other things in life, other than drugs cos they will never make you happy.)Heroin is the worst fucking thing in the world to be addicted to, and honestly the pleasure factor of it is really low in comparison to having a healthy life that is fulfilling, only when you hit your rock bottom you understand this :X

Anyway enough preaching, I'm going to post and see what I can get from the users of this forum... 8)
Thanks for reading, have a good day (whenever you read this) and please leave a comment if you have anything useful you can tell me/others
I don't know how long you were addicted for, i myself have also been addicted to Heroin, the one drug i told myself i would never take....never say never.....to me it sounds like your methadone dose should be increased slightly.

What the methadone should do is make you feel 'NORMAL-ish' it should remove the shit came comes with the utter impossiblility of trying to go cold turkey....that scene in Trainspotting really does not even come close, if only it were that easy..........increase the methadone maybe 120 i think that was what i had to be increased to and that worked without the need to top up with heroin....although the needle idealisation will never go away....but it WILL get easier.....trust me....i've come out the other side.

I was lucky that heroin was never part of my social life....the person i took it with was the person who introduced it to me....the person i had been in a relationship with....and the person who had been greatly manipulating my life to an unsustainable degree so i guess i got rid of 2 for the price of one....but i can only imagine how hard it could be if heroin is also part of your circle of friends as you will have to withdraw from them also as the temptation will be too great otherwise.

Once you begin to notice just one day without heroin just be glad in it......eventually you come to realize those days have mounted up but try not to count them....or actually....do whatever works for you as everyone is different....i hope some of this helps....PM me anythime as i do know what you are going thru....you can do this as you WANT to thats the biggest hurdle so feel proud of yourself for that.....most addicts don't...i didn't........not until i realised what it would do to my mother whose house we were both living in at the time whilst addicted without her having any clue....she liked him....he was an architect and gave the impression of proffessionalism and maturity where as the reality was quite the opposite.......take care my friend and i wish you all the very best and well done, take care of yourself

Can I take oxycodone tonight with no problem even tho I did H this Morning ? I don?t think it?s a problem always good to ask and make sure tho

And dude stay strong man. I?ve been going through this phase of quitting using suboxone for 3 days to get through WD and then jumping back on. It?s horrible stay strong

I think if you really want to quit and draw a line in the sand it has to come from a deep place inside you, you have to have a strong cathartic experiance and feel like you have to change your life at this point. Some people never get one, some do. I don't look down on anyone's struggle though because it's all very real!

Anyone that needs someone to talk to I'm here for you <3

In regards to the oxy, you prolly have done that shit now, but you should be careful with your tolerance, if you don't normally take that much do a small amount at a time, make sure you do it slowly and wait for effects to kick in so you don't overdose. Get someone to sit with you and make sure you are ok. Naloxone should be handed to you as well, for an emergency. You should teach your family how to use it as well.