• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Hemp Wick vs. Butane Lighter

Glow rods, or some call them glow wands.

If anyone is so concerned about this they should just use these. A glass rod is heated until it is red hot with a torch then touched to the weed to vaporize/burn it. It's best with a nicely packed bong hit. If you have some good sweet buds you can't beat the taste you get from the glow rods.

This is the best way to smoke hands down down IMO. Its better then the magnifying glass because I am looking outside right now and i don't see any sun shining.

There are different products when it comes to the wick ropes. There is the Beeline, hemp-wick, and some others. Beeline has the finest rope and I think seems to burn the cleanest. The hemp-wick and others are thicker and leave behind a smell from it smoldering after you blow it out.

When it comes to lighters i think a lot of it depends on how you hold the lighter. If anyone else has ever noticed when you light the flame then hold the lighter over on its side, as you would when smoking a bowl, you can hear gas hissing out. When when you turn vertically the hissing stops.

I think its foolish to buy all this stuff. I said it before and ill say it again get a lighter or get a vaporizer why does everyone want to complicate smoking with all this unneeded stuff?

I'm in the wrong field i thought chemistry/psychology would get me somewhere instead i should just use hot words to get people to buy over priced things. "organic" and "hemp" seem to do very well for big business.

Found the perfect link to exemplify what the culture is like to me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YOh-rpvjYg (skip to 0:45)

Last edited:
Yeah but how long does it take to get going?
If I'm outside in the direct sunlight I may not have the time, patience, or frankly the steady hand necessary to use a magnifying glass with any decent efficacy.
What with cannabis being illegal and all I rarely smoke outside. :\

It doesn't take long, but then again, I live in Texas.

I rarely smoke outside, but I do magnifying glass hits in the summer sometimes for the flavor.

It only take a few seconds to get going, but as I said, I live in Texas where it's 98-110 degrees during the summer, so I've got a lot of sun to work with.

^ You can mod the e-cigs yourself to accept cannabis oil as a matter of fact, so I have heard.

Yup you can apparently modify an e-cig to make it accept oil.

I'd like one that you could add your own plant material to and it would vaporize it.

Until then I'll just use my magic flight launch box.

^ I don't think it would be able to vaporize vegetative material like that without more heat, if I'm not mistaken.

The best way would be to do a Q-ISO hash wash to produce quite pure oil and then just use that. If you were using it for medi purposes then it might pay to dissolve the oil it in ethanol to form a solution and spray it under the tongue in the exact same way as the pharmaceutical Sativex.

I've gone off on a bit of a tangent! Sorry...

I've gone off on a bit of a tangent! Sorry...
Indeed. You're more than welcome to start a new thread if you want, but let's try to keep this one on topic.

Azo, yes, the combustion products of whatever you are smoking make the products of your ignition source insignificant in comparison. The point of this thread was not to actually establish that one method was superior, but that it is unimportant which is used.

Heh I'll bet it was highly expensive too!

How many Euros/US $ did they want for the laser vaporizer?

I've seen vapes for sale that are basically an Electronic cigarette but for the price they want for them you could buy either 1-2 Volcanos, a lot of magic flight launch boxes, or a few desktop name brand vapes and any of those vapes would work better than the overpriced vape you're buying.

I don't remember exactly but for sure it was too much.

I mean, the thing honestly looked ridiculous. :\

psychomimetic said:
It doesn't take long, but then again, I live in Texas.

I rarely smoke outside, but I do magnifying glass hits in the summer sometimes for the flavor.

It only take a few seconds to get going, but as I said, I live in Texas where it's 98-110 degrees during the summer, so I've got a lot of sun to work with.
Hmm, I get some decent sun here as well.
I suppose I should try it before I knock it.
Although I don't even own a magnifying glass that I know of lol.

I use both lighter and hempwick. The lighter is quick and easy. When I want to enjoy the taste of some primo bud however, I prefer hempwick. It is easier to control the flame so each person in the gathering gets some "green" to taste. I also appreciate not having that butane taste to pollute my enjoyment. It also burns cooler than the butane so the hit is not as harsh. Being made from natural materials sounds better, but I do know that burning anything releases residue.

What are you going to light your hemp wick with? A magnifying glass? 'cause otherwise it's faster to just use a lighter or matches (god forbid)

Case closed
This got me thinking. I recall a bit from an alchemy book... "Use a magnifying glass to focus the sun's rays onto the wick of a candle until it becomes flame. If the sunlight is weak, dip some filter paper in ethanol."
Of course, these alchemy books practically border on science fiction - so in this case, I'm assuming the book means pure, unadulterated ethanol... which you pretty much have to make yourself unless you know a good moonshine distributor. But I digress, Lighting weed with simply a magnifying glass would be interesting to say the least.

I'd hate to rip a bong with just a lighter now. So long as I'm smoking bowls, I'll be lighting hemp wick. For myself, the main benefit is that I can control the way weed burns in a bowl better than with a lighter. I hover the wick overhead initially, attempting to vaporize some of the cannabinoids and avoid a little pyrolysis. If that is negligible (I never vape anymore anyway) I still find it smoother to light the bowl and not torch it. The lighter flame tends to get 'sucked in' more and to be more pointy of a flame. I like that it is natural too. Usually I just have to flick the lighter once to get it going for my sesh, but I am going to ask my camping buddy how to make a little spark the best way for this. Then the transition will be complete.

It's just overall way more enjoyable, I saw someone on youtube using one and ended up going for it. Now I buy yarn balls of the stuff. Easier to burn my fingers with a lighter too.