• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Help with suboxone

Shelly320

Bluelighter
Hi I'm new here but Ive been "lurking" for years, my story is I'm a female 37 and I've been on suboxone for 16 months. I have 4 kids and I'm married, in 2008 after my twins were born I got "sick" my stomach hurt and I was vomiting ALOT I never had prior drug use except Marijuana ( not a drug) BUT I did have many prior surgeries and while pregnant with the twins I was in the hospital for 9 weeks on a steady stream of percocet ( severe pain and they wanted to stop labor,

I am NOT blaming anyone for what followed.. pain meds from the prior surgeries gastic bypass, tummy tuck, tumor, and hernia NEVER caused issues anyways over the next few years I was in and out of pain management and told I needed another surgery but my insurance would NOT cover it in 2010 I met a lovely group of people ( again i stress i do NOT blame anyone but myself but...)and started down a long and dark road all the usual stuff and I ended with prision in 2013-2014 but guess what when I got released I actually did RIGHT my amazing husband stood by my side and he is a non drug user he doesn't even smoke weed!

My parents stood by me and I turned my shit around, I choose suboxone now I know some people would say big mistake but for me it's been a game changer! I lurked for a long time and I was afraid but I did it and with that and I smoke weed ( my doctor knows) I'm doing amazing I still need one surgery but the pain is tolerable with subs BUT I haven't exactly took them as prescribed...here's where I need help...I've been taking very small amounts like .25 or .50 of a milligram every few hours so like 1 or 1.5 mg on a good day and 2 or 2.5 on a bad kinda play it by ear but I've not needed a full or even half a strip ( 8 mg ) in months I found small amounts helped so much more!

Well now my insurance is screwing me and I don't know when I'll be able to get them BUT I have quite a few about 80 strips left can someone give me a taper plan I am going to need to be off them to get any doctor to take me seriously for surgery ( I will have new insurance after the 1st) so my main question is how sick will I get or can I get off using what I have pain free I'm freaking out I work full time now and although I have my family and support I just wanna feel better

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, welcome to Bluelight! I don't have any experience tapering from subs, but many people here do. I'm glad to read you got yourself out of trouble. I'm going to move this to Other Drugs. Wish you luck!

Thank you! Everything has been going so well for the last year and a half. I still have my bad days where the pain is terrible but tolerable, I really can't understand why the insurance would take it away from me I've done everything they have asked AND honestly passed EVERY drug test. Would it be better if I went back on pills ( with family help) and tapered off that?? I really really do NOT want to do that but I can NOT live like this, I'm thinking the amount I'm on it shouldnt be too hard but when I skip a dose I feel awful and it's too much it's almost like I still get sick every few hours but I don't know how that's possible with what I read, it's so long acting, my main problem is my dosing is all over the place and I take it in slivers literally I have a lot of support but I'm so scared because they all know NOTHING about drugs at all

Well your in a predicament: if your using them for pain then would completely stopping the suboxone make your pain unbearable? If so, then you basically have to keep taking it, but I would recomend trying to lower your dose even more, the amount your taking is very good because it will make your withdrawal not as bad when you completely stop your taper.

If you can try and get down to 1 mg PER DAY. do what you have to do.

taper at -.25 each week. if you can go faster do it, slower? do it.

just slowly keep reducing your intake.

Week 1 : 1.75 mg a day
Week 2: 1.5 a day
Week 3: 1 mg a day

if you can truly get to .5 a day your golden for completely stopping. if it helps take your doses although so small, take them multiple times a day.

if your taking 1 mg a day

do .5 in morning , .5 in afternoon or evening.

hope this helped of some sort

Yes it really does help but I originally started subs for addiction to dilaudid that after the insurance stopped paying for the dillys I bought them off the streets but I have real pain and I do need another surgery and finally I will have good hospital insurance thru my husband job so I will be able to get the surgery and stop all the pain but I need to get off the subs, because if the doctors see that immediately I'm a junkie to them and they don't really listen to me at all