• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Help with giving myself shots in the thigh please

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I did feel I was doing it wrong since I had marks on me but I believe I have this figured out now. I would never be able to shoot up drugs if I'm this much of an idiot trying to do B12 shots.

I don't get to pick my needle as my doctor writes the B12 and my nurse gave me a syringe to give to the pharmacist after a couple of pharmacy visits where they weren't sure what syringes to give me. I can't imagine why a pharmacist wouldn't know what syringes to give me for B12 shots. Idiots.

I'm out of town because my doctor is further North than where I live, but when I get home this weekend I'll look at the syringes/needles I have just to let y'all know the size. I still have about 10 syringes so it'll be a few months before I need more. I can't remember the number on the the needle (28, 29...) but I remember it says 1 ml insulin syringe because when I get out a new one it's in big black letters across the front.

I appreciate that no one said Idiot, even when they wanted to lol! My run ins with needles have never been fun so I've been second guessing myself for a while now. Specific instructions from y'all and my doctor make me feel much better.

I don't seem to be able to upload pictures while in mobile mode but several of you guys asked about the syringes and needles I am prescribed for B12 shots. I've been out of town visiting my kids and doctor so excuse me for being so late.

It says "U-100 Insulin" on the side of the sealed package and
"BD 1ml Insulin Syringe
Slip Tip BD PrecisionGlide Needle
25gx5/8 (0.5mm x 16mm)"
The rest just says sterile, do not reuse, do not reshield used needles, etc.

If you guys think it's the wrong size me know. I can call my nurse to get more.

The gauge is more of a comfort thing unless its a thick solution/emulsion(and just for clarification, with gauge, the higher the number the thinner the needle), I mean you don't want it so thin that you end up bending it trying to get it deep enough. Length is more important. 25g sits right in the middle and would work for either; but I think convention says 25+ for subcutaneous and 21-23 for IM(but totally not necessary), my dad is a diabetic who uses Lantus subcutaneously and his needles are 31g, but again, I am NOT a medical professional in any way and can only give an opinion based on MY experience and should not be taken as the words of an expert or someone trained in such matters, but I would think 5/8 is for a subcutaneous shot and not an IM shot, if you had any fat on the area 5/8 would have trouble reaching it. That being said b12 can be administered in either manner but you wouldn't want it to rest right in between or it would cause separation of tissues(muscle/dermis), you may want to ask the pharmacist if those are appropriate for IM injection(which everything I know about either says no, they are for subcutaneous) and then clarify with the doctor how you are supposed to be using these.

Everything I know says those are meant for subcutaneous injections but you are operating under the assumption that you were meant to IM the solution, b12 can be administered either way but you need to know where you are aiming before you stick yourself, and 5/8 would have trouble reaching the muscle on a lot of people, especially if not going for the deltoid. I would think if you wanted those would be perfectly fine for subcutaneous injections and if you felt comfortable administering it in such a manner then you could go right ahead(I have found the love handles the best spot for this, pinched up like you were told), but considering until now you have been aiming for the muscle I could see why you would be weary of forging ahead this way, I wouldn't want to advise anyone to give themselves an IM injection in the thigh with anything less than 1 inch needle, unless they were fairly fit and knew what they were doing, and even then I believe it goes against convention.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply and explanation Cool Whip. I think I'll call my nurse on Monday and get a clarification of whether I'm supposed to be IMing the medicine or using it subcutaneous.

My doctor showed me and I don't have much fat so maybe he meant IM. I still have a few days until my shot. I Guess that instead of just asking how to do it that I should have asked him if it was IM or subcutaneous. I'll have it straightened out before my next shot. Thank you again!