View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

help me

ouchthathurt

Greenlighter
i downed about 6oz cough syrup robitussin active ingredient dxm only, but i feel nauseous i cant stop twitching and the room is spinnning. i feel hot and itchy and panicky. i am alone and dont knpow what to do. anyone know why this is happeneing i thought this was supposed to be hallucigenic but i do not feel good.i threw up just now

Don't worry. The classical psychedelics are much scarier than DXM. You'll never get that scared on DXM. Just take some deep breaths, maybe a hot or cold shower or even both, to ground yourself.

Just ride it out bud, just know that your not gonna die and you'll be pretty sobered up within 4 or 5 hours. How long ago did you take the syrup? Sometimes the come-up is rough but you eventually level out into a tolerable or even enjoyable trip. If you have some benzos around you can take a small dose to keep you from panicking, just make sure you only dose like .5mgs of xanax/klonopin/ativan or 5mgs of diazepam as dissociatives make it easier to black out from benzos. DXM is a very strange drug, it feels pretty much nothing like psychedelics. Try turning on some music and laying down with eyes closed to see if you can have some fun closed eye visuals, it might distract you from the bodyload.

You'll never get that scared on DXM.
I beg to differ, I've seen people freak the hell out on DXM. High doses of DXM can feel incredibly awkward and disorienting, an inexperienced user expecting something completely different can find this state absolutelt terrifying. There was this one chick that took DXM with our group at a small kickback and she spent hours scared out of her mind crying "when will I get out of hell". She never used drugs again after this trip. For the most part people don't have this type of reaction though of course.

i drank it about 3 hours ago. shoulld i drink more? im not going to have permanent brain damage right? i never felt thios way before its crazy

Interesting, CaptainKratom. I wonder if that girl could have done something to make herself feel better.

No brain damage, your gonna be totally fine. Please don't drink more, wait til you come down, re-evaluate the trip and if you decide that you want to give it another shot at a higher dose do so on another day. If you drink more your just gonna feel way more strange and worry even more about brain damage and stuff, so it helps to have a trip under your belt before going higher to reinforce the idea that everything is gonna be fine as soon as you come down.

Interesting, CaptainKratom. I wonder if that girl could have done something to make herself feel better.
Not sure if she could, perhaps a lower dose would've helped but she only had like 250mgs. She just wasn't expecting what she experienced, she was under the impression it felt like alcohol but she wasn't prepared for dissociation and altered thought process. We did all we could to comfort her though, she was definitely in good hands.

It's not uncommon to have a reaction like this even at a low dose. Hope you're feeling better. I'd leave DXM alone if I were you, doesn't sound like it gels with you.

i drank it about 3 hours ago. shoulld i drink more? im not going to have permanent brain damage right? i never felt thios way before its crazy
If you're feeling unpleasant then it is not a good idea to take more DXM. It will just make you feel worse, and for longer. It's also probably not worth doing it again if you don't like the experience the first time.

Occasional usage of DXM does not cause brain damage, esp. not at the 6 oz level. You will be just fine even though it may take a few days to get back to 100% normality.

William White, I think said, about 1/3 of people who try DXM will like it, 1/3 will find it boring or not worth their time, and 1/3 will strongly dislike the experience. It is actually really common for people to try DXM and find that all it does is make them feel very weird or sick.

The best option you have is to ride it out. Try and make the best of your high. Find a cheesy movie to watch, or lay down and listen to music. Have something light like a warm cup of tea or a few pieces of fruit or veg. Maybe try doodling or type out your experience as a trip report if you feel up to it. Don't take any more drugs, you will just get more fucked up, which is not going to make you feel better.

You may still feel a little funny the days after a DXM trip. Don't panic, it's a totally normal side effect from the long lived metabolites of DXM and will resolve in time. Having lots of fluids and getting some exercise to help your body metabolize them will definitely help.

Last edited:
You see what happens when people call DXM, ketamine, MXE etc. 'psychedelic drugs'? It causes confusion... isn't this site supposed to be about harm reduction? By the sounds of it the OP was expecting psychedelic-type visuals.
Naive people read posts on here and down a load of cough syrup expecting a 'trip' but end up getting hit with the dissociative experience. DXM can cause hallucinations but it's not a psychedelic - it's a dissociative anesthetic.

AMEN^^^ but in a sense it can be considered psychedelic if you look at the meaning of the word. "mind-manifesting" in a sense everything that one experiences on a hallucinogen is a manifestation of the mind.

You see what happens when people call DXM, ketamine, MXE etc. 'psychedelic drugs'? It causes confusion... isn't this site supposed to be about harm reduction? By the sounds of it the OP was expecting psychedelic-type visuals.
Naive people read posts on here and down a load of cough syrup expecting a 'trip' but end up getting hit with the dissociative experience. DXM can cause hallucinations but it's not a psychedelic - it's a dissociative anesthetic.
That's completely unfair, Ouchthathurt got really awesome, helpfulll HR advice from CaptainKratom and Seiko (props for that, guys :))

That he hasn't researched properly before taking the DXM is his own fault, and nobody elses. bluelight has all the answers if you look, and if you have questions, people are helpfull. And people would be gulping down pharmacy bought DXM even if there was no bluelight. And then they wouldn't have anywere to go with their questions.

We can split hairs all day, about what defines a psychedelic (I think we even have a few dedicated threads for that topic) but it's not something I care to debate. Arylcyclohexylamines are dissociative, psychedelic, entheogenic, some of the are also opiodergic, stimulant, and last but not least, anaesthetic too.