• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids HELP ME! How to pass urine whilst on strong opiates - opiate induced water retention.

Daddydopedick

Bluelighter
Probably threads all over about this, especially on this website but want to make my own post. The title it pretty self explanatory. I am after ways in which I can make myself go, whether it's ingesting certain substances, doing certain exercises or more. It's been probably around 4+ hours now and I can't stand it.

I smoked some very high quality #3 H 1-2 hours ago and cannot piss. Currently sat on the toilet and I get close sometimes but it is never I close enough to break the seal and go.

Please note, things like the leaving tap running are things that I not already know.... but just simply do not work for me. I've heard that actually drinking more water can help in situations like this (as the effects of the heroin are fading, that drinking more can help.) I don't know if that's true though and don't want to risk it.

Any help would be highly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
“The Valsalva maneuver involves pushing down as if trying to have a bowel movement. A person may find that using their forearm to push on the lower abdomen also helps.

People should avoid putting pressure directly on the bladder, as this can cause urine to back up into the kidneys and may cause an infection.”

Or ya know, a Foley catheter

“The Valsalva maneuver involves pushing down as if trying to have a bowel movement. A person may find that using their forearm to push on the lower abdomen also helps.

People should avoid putting pressure directly on the bladder, as this can cause urine to back up into the kidneys and may cause an infection.”

Or ya know, a Foley catheter
Thanks, I'll have to look into this further and give it a go! I think I've actually hears about it before and maybe tired it but I can't remember lol.

Also, I knoe what a catheter is, but what's a Foley catheter? Is it a specific one you can do at home yourself or something (as a complete guess)? Or just a normal catheter?

Either way, thanks for the info!!

Its a joke. A Foley catheter involves having a nurse thread a tube up your wang and into your bladder. Then it empties into a bag.

Its a joke. A Foley catheter involves having a nurse thread a tube up your wang and into your bladder. Then it empties into a bag.
Ah fair. I knew what a catheter was but I thought because you named it the way you did that you were possibly talking about a specific, more DIY oriented one. My bad😂

Ah fair. I knew what a catheter was but I thought because you named it the way you did that you were possibly talking about a specific, more DIY oriented one. My bad😂
Wasn't joking. You can get them online or at medical supply stores.

The issue with opioids and peeing is due to the combination of smooth and skeletal muscles involved in urination. The smooth muscles form the urinary sphincter and need to relax for peeing to occur. The skeletal muscles are located around the bladder and need to contract to allow peeing to occur. Any drug that disrupts either the signal to relax (acetylcholine based) or to contract (norepinephrine based), will make peeing difficult. Opiates indirectly decrease norepinephrine release.

Certainly would want to avoid taking antihistamines with anticholinergic activity, as they will make it even harder to pee.

Honestly might just have to wait it out. Drinking a lot of water is a gamble, because it will increase the intensity of signals sent from the bladder, making you more likely to pee, but if the H overrides these signals still, the risks of bladder issues are increased.

Wasn't joking. You can get them online or at medical supply stores.

The issue with opioids and peeing is due to the combination of smooth and skeletal muscles involved in urination. The smooth muscles form the urinary sphincter and need to relax for peeing to occur. The skeletal muscles are located around the bladder and need to contract to allow peeing to occur. Any drug that disrupts either the signal to relax (acetylcholine based) or to contract (norepinephrine based), will make peeing difficult. Opiates indirectly decrease norepinephrine release.

Certainly would want to avoid taking antihistamines with anticholinergic activity, as they will make it even harder to pee.

Honestly might just have to wait it out. Drinking a lot of water is a gamble, because it will increase the intensity of signals sent from the bladder, making you more likely to pee, but if the H overrides these signals still, the risks of bladder issues are increased.
Thanks for all the info! I got there in the end! After sitting on the toilet for about 2 hours, a tiny dribble came out.

With that, I got up and stretched backwards with my arms out, stretching my full body. Then I stretched upwards with my hands pointing up whilst tneisng my abdonament as had as a could and then did some sorta, stood up crunches. Sat back down and it worked!!

Also, I take Loratadine for the itchiness? Should I avoid it? Could that be making it more difficult to pee?

Also, about the catheter, you can get one from pharmacy and use it by yourself (UK)? I imagine in the US these things exist to save many America's money but healthcare is free in the UK so I aren't sure whether these exist over here:/

Unless you're from the UK and I'm totally wrong. I'll have a look regardless! Have you ever had to use one? They sound awful 😂

Thanks for all the info! I got there in the end! After sitting on the toilet for about 2 hours, a tiny dribble came out.

With that, I got up and stretched backwards with my arms out, stretching my full body. Then I stretched upwards with my hands pointing up whilst tneisng my abdonament as had as a could and then did some sorta, stood up crunches. Sat back down and it worked!!

Also, I take Loratadine for the itchiness? Should I avoid it? Could that be making it more difficult to pee?

Also, about the catheter, you can get one from pharmacy and use it by yourself (UK)? I imagine in the US these things exist to save many America's money but healthcare is free in the UK so I aren't sure whether these exist over here:/

Unless you're from the UK and I'm totally wrong. I'll have a look regardless! Have you ever had to use one? They sound awful 😂
Loratadine will worsen the urinary retention. Certirazine is a more selective antihistamine, which should have less strong urinary effects.

Not in UK, nor have I ever had to cath myself (thank god). Just aware of it as a "nuclear option".

It's not always an option, but getting standing in the hot shower for a few minutes was always able to make me go when I was going through this. It's like taking "running the tap" to its extreme.

Years ago I discovered a fool-proof method of instant relief from urinary retention caused by chronic heroin use. Everyone recommended sitting down to make your muscles relax, so the following may seem counterintuitive:

I used to stand up by the toilet sink (to prevent spraying) and ran water from the tap over my hand. Then I began to gently massage the upper part of the head of the penis with the palm of my hand, using water as lubrication. The idea behind using water is to preserve the friction. When it got too dry, I just splashed some more water. It usually took me less than 20-30 seconds to feel the stream starting to come. Now this is very important: do not stop massaging! If I did, the stream of urine would stop and I would have to start over. So I learned to keep going while my bladder finally emptied.

I can't remember why I tried it in the first place, but after that first time I used it hundreds of times and it has NEVER once failed me. There's something about gentle stimulation of the head that makes you relax. Why this works and how are questions I leave to a urologist, just trust me and give it a try!

Years ago I discovered a fool-proof method of instant relief from urinary retention caused by chronic heroin use. Everyone recommended sitting down to make your muscles relax, so the following may seem counterintuitive:

I used to stand up by the toilet sink (to prevent spraying) and ran water from the tap over my hand. Then I began to gently massage the upper part of the head of the penis with the palm of my hand, using water as lubrication. The idea behind using water is to preserve the friction. When it got too dry, I just splashed some more water. It usually took me less than 20-30 seconds to feel the stream starting to come. Now this is very important: do not stop massaging! If I did, the stream of urine would stop and I would have to start over. So I learned to keep going while my bladder finally emptied.

I can't remember why I tried it in the first place, but after that first time I used it hundreds of times and it has NEVER once failed me. There's something about gentle stimulation of the head that makes you relax. Why this works and how are questions I leave to a urologist, just trust me and give it a try!
I'm back in this situation and was about to make a post about it but saw I had already made one. I could give this a go but you day you had to stand up to do it? Even when I aren't on opiates I can't piss whilst stood up, I always have to sit down, I have trouble urinating normally as it is. I can never use urinals at pubs etc, always have to sit and use cubicles.

Would I be able to try this whilst sat down on a toilet? What would I do, just massage the tip of my penis whilst keeping it lubricated with water whilst I am sat down? The sink is within reach of me whilst I sit down on the toilet so? Yeah, let me know!