• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Computing Help Im Tech Illiterate! (paypal related, SMS?)

smokeymcpot42088

Bluelighter
Okay youse guys that know the stuffs I need ya on this one!!

The Why and Whatsup: So after talking with a particularly apt sound engineer I negotiated the price on mixing a track; He has finished and sent me of a preview of the first verse and dude REALLY has skills; in fact I would really like to retain him! HOWEVER, we never really discussed how the payment would be made. He wants either PayPal or Crypto and I am truly tech special to the point I dont and never have owned a cellphone.. (nor do cells even work on my property).....

THE PROBLEM AT HAND: I need to figure out a way to sign up for paypal and I don't own a cell, Truly no bullshit; I see these temporary SMS # websites, that sounds like the perfect answer? Does anybody knows how this works in reality because I am getting a BLURRED line between, "This message will send directly to me" and "The text will be forwarded to your normal mobile #?"

So CAN I in FACT REGISTER for PAYPAL using a SMS site WITHOUT OWNING A CELL PHONE?. I get wi fi and have a computer (fairly obvious to the reader) so if it sends to your computer or a window on whatever sms site I can trust/find, that is great. If I can only forward it to another phone, utterly pointless.

Any creative loopholes or workarounds? I don't mind. Dude tried making an ebay account as I can use paypal through them but they were as nice to him as paypal to me. (It is rumored you can start a paypal business account with no cellphone but in practice when I clicked "call #" instead of SMS it just failed to verify me. After Many many hellish hours on the phone I ran into a language barrier (I think) and she kept insisting she could only text that #....even after I explained there was TWO options send SMS (add phone if so) or Call This Number For verification, of course I clicked the latter but was met with the hell staff who actually did flat out accuse me of being a liar and "everyone has a mobile" (it was on my birthday so I guess red flag.... but hell if I wantd to be on the phone with them for it!!)

NO CELL reference every post since 06. (Sorry it isn't you guys that deserved that it was the highly accusatory folk at paypal that decided a text message outweighs a social security #!!

FINAL NOTE: What is the cheapest damn phone on the market that can be commonly found, do they still have those minute 'tracphones'? I could afford that lol

Paypal requires a phone now to sign up? That's lame.

Anyways, they have "virtual phones" now, which is a service that can accept SMS texts and it will forward it to the chat service of your choice on your computer. That could work.

If you can get to Walmart or get shipping or something, they often have very cheap prepaid phones for $20-30, similar to tracphone.

Or maybe ask them if they will take something like Zelle? (assuming your bank also works with Zelle)

You aren't suppose to need one for a business account, FFS they had my social and birthdate; how on earth is that less than a cellphone #!?!?

Those virtual phones were exactly what I was wondering about. How do I recieve the SMS confirmation, it seems to suggest to forward it to your "real #"......which I really dont have. That only seems to be some of them though, do you know of one that works forsure and if so how do I receive this SMS? (E-mail I figure, or how?)

Tracphones do still exist! Good I should be fine either way, I just gotta convince dude to chill a couple days till I can get it done, if not by SMS by cell.

Ok I should be good to go now; as this is actually above board. *note to ppl who arent doing this above board more care may be needed, IDK but I would assume so. If anyone can reccomend an SMS and tell me how I actually recieve confirmation, that would be quickest and my tech illiteracy is definitely trying my dudes patience...

Those virtual phones were exactly what I was wondering about. How do I recieve the SMS confirmation, it seems to suggest to forward it to your "real #"......which I really dont have. That only seems to be some of them though, do you know of one that works forsure and if so how do I receive this SMS? (E-mail I figure, or how?)
I've never looked into it, but my understanding is you can use a wide variety of programs to mediate communication to the virtual phone.

You can actually send free SMS texts from an email account to somebody else's phone, however you cannot receive them to an email account, without some other service such as a virtual phone. I think you can use a wide variety of chat platforms. I'm not really sure, though.

Tracphones do still exist! Good I should be fine either way, I just gotta convince dude to chill a couple days till I can get it done, if not by SMS by cell.
Yeah, I remember 2-3 years ago I went to walmart and bought a cheap phone + 60 minutes phone time which included text too, and it was only $30 or so. I used it for a similar purpose, to verify an account, then I threw it away.

If you do that, just make sure to disable 2FA security in paypal, otherwise it will try to use that phone to unlock your account every time.

as someone with no cellphone I hate 2FA like a mofo. Shoot, I tried making a paypal account under a business, but that didnt work and they threatened to ban me but after SS confirmation "made it like I never signed up" there words not mine. (There was a language barrier too).

So the question becomes drive in for a tracfone or try one of these SMS dealys (which I hear dont always work for confirmation, thats why I asked if anyone knew one that was good..... I mean, wtf, what am I buying at that point, plus CC online idk sketches me out??)

Id rather grab a tracphone and do it the "honest" way, although both ways are honest; apparently paypal frowns upon the SMS, not that I care..If im sure it will work, I dont wanna get banned though, dude is very talented and if paypal is his thing so be it *non cellphone owners need a union along with opi addicts (to get rid of fet/xylazine lol)

SO I ASK YOU; If you were dude waiting on your money; (but losing interest tbh); would you prefer a delay stall followed by pretty much assured success. (If you remember how to activate a tracphone remind me *yes ill google as well*)....or about idk should be 90 + ish% tonight?

I would think 90ish but I tend to find the path to failure with tech

as someone with no cellphone I hate 2FA like a mofo. Shoot, I tried making a paypal account under a business, but that didnt work and they threatened to ban me but after SS confirmation "made it like I never signed up" there words not mine. (There was a language barrier too).

So the question becomes drive in for a tracfone or try one of these SMS dealys (which I hear dont always work for confirmation, thats why I asked if anyone knew one that was good..... I mean, wtf, what am I buying at that point, plus CC online idk sketches me out??)

Id rather grab a tracphone and do it the "honest" way, although both ways are honest; apparently paypal frowns upon the SMS, not that I care..If im sure it will work, I dont wanna get banned though, dude is very talented and if paypal is his thing so be it *non cellphone owners need a union along with opi addicts (to get rid of fet/xylazine lol)

SO I ASK YOU; If you were dude waiting on your money; (but losing interest tbh); would you prefer a delay stall followed by pretty much assured success. (If you remember how to activate a tracphone remind me *yes ill google as well*)....or about idk should be 90 + ish% tonight?

I would think 90ish but I tend to find the path to failure with tech

The technology is called VOIP

It is indeed. I ended up grabbin a tracphone as I am ignorant to the internet therefor afraid of it. Everything worked out though!