• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Help! I'm pregnant and made a huge mistake...

Redd1995

Greenlighter
I am 18 weeks. I used meth today AND I KNOW I SHOULDNT HAVE. It was only like 5cc's. I haven't used at all since I did this. I am so upset and I regret it COMPLETELY! Will this show up in the drug test when my baby is born? Had anyone else made a mistake like this and their baby showed positive for something? I want my baby and I am so upset for what I did. Please tell me someone can help! I prey it won't show up. I read online it usually only goes back 20 weeks. I might just be overly worried, which I should be. But I just need to know everything is going to be okay. I have been an addict since I was 18. Im 26 now. I just made a huge mistake... Please someone help!

Last edited:
From what I remember there is a good chance it will show up in the meconium or whatever , I’d be more concerned of the effects it could have on you child’s development, and I don’t just mean in the womb, I mean milestones in their life and possible mental health issues…don’t use anymore drugs for the love of god

At any given point it never matters what you did, what matters is what you do going forward. So being overly worried (for the right reasons) will make you an excellent mom.

Tomorrow is another day, enter in some tender loving care and you will be a great mom. It shows you have a conscience. Plenty of people do not. So yeah, everything will be ok if you continue to be aware and concerned.

Now for some others who were pregnant and used can chime in. I did have a few friends that used various things falling of the wagon while pregnant but the kids are fine. Smarter than the parents.

Please stay on top of this, I think you realized you have another life besides your own that needs your caring. That is called mature and responsible.

From what I understand issues from drug use during pregnancy mostly starts to show up around puberty, so just cause a kid is doing good dosent mean there won’t be issues later on…raising a kid is a marathon not a sprint, obviously I hope your friends kids are good, but not out of the woods yet
Now for some others who were pregnant and used can chime in. I did have a few friends that used various things falling of the wagon while pregnant but the kids are fine. Smarter than the parents.

At any given point it never matters what you did, what matters is what you do going forward. So being overly worried (for the right reasons) will make you an excellent mom.

Tomorrow is another day, enter in some tender loving care and you will be a great mom. It shows you have a conscience. Plenty of people do not. So yeah, everything will be ok if you continue to be aware and concerned.

Please stay on top of this, I think you realized you have another life besides your own that needs your caring. That is called mature and responsible.
Thank you for the response. It definitely helped put me at ease. This really isn't me. My baby's father is still using and I found a needle with a little in it and did it without him knowing. When I told him, he got very mad at me. But it's so hard when you're in recovery. I am worried about it hurting the baby as well as if it shows up in the drug test. I don't want my baby taken from me. I am just so upset.

From what I understand issues from drug use during pregnancy mostly starts to show up around puberty, so just cause a kid is doing good dosent mean there won’t be issues later on…raising a kid is a marathon not a sprint, obviously I hope your friends kids are good, but not out of the woods yet
Good point. I agree totally, in this instance the people I am thinking the "kids" are mid 30's and have their own jobs and family. But yes if they were younger it would remain to be seen. And the only slip ups were some drinking at times. (still not good!) I also have another friend that has a child with issues that never took any substances.

There was a movie about an alcoholic mother that had a kid and sure enough it was in the teens the issues seemed to surface.

Bottom line for me is I think if someone chooses to have a child they really need to spend that 9 months taking care of the health of two people. I admit I am amazed that so many continue to smoke tobacco and even drink.

I am 18 weeks. I used meth today AND I KNOW I SHOULDNT HAVE. It was only like 5cc's. I haven't used at all since I did this. I am so upset and I regret it COMPLETELY! Will this show up in the drug test when my baby is born? Had anyone else made a mistake like this and their baby showed positive for something? I want my baby and I am so upset for what I did. Please tell me someone can help! I prey it won't show up. I read online it usually only goes back 20 weeks. I might just be overly worried, which I should be. But I just need to know everything is going to be okay. I have been an addict since I was 18. Im 26 now. I just made a huge mistake... Please someone help!

Hey ☺️

I don't think it's that bad. This test when the baby is born is to check you haven't been using during the pregnancy? And if you have?

This sort of thing really pisses me off. It reminds me of the warnings they have on alcohol here.. There's a picture of a pregnant woman with a line through it. Alcoholism is an epidemic here but hey, let's just focus on pregnant women because it can directly affect the baby. What about the people around her, including the father? Drugs and alcohol may go through the mothers blood and into the baby's, but so does the stress she's under.

I know they need to keep an eye on hardcore users who can really mess the baby up eg. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, but you made a one-off mistake.

I might just be overly worried, which I should be.

I think so and it shows that you care a lot, but it shouldn't be a fear-based thing because of this drug test.

Stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline also pass through to the baby. So go easy on yourself 😊

All the best..

Abbey x

Everybody is right. Don't over stress it. The stress you pass on to the child will be worse than one off drug use. I don't think they will be able to test for it unless you go in for a doctor's checkup in the urine detection window of 5 or so days. Just concentrate on ensuring the health of the child from this day forward. I think you should draw a line in the sand regarding the father's usage, if you want the baby to be born into a healthy environment. He should respect your recovery and the health of his child.

Everybody is right. Don't over stress it. The stress you pass on to the child will be worse than one off drug use. I don't think they will be able to test for it unless you go in for a doctor's checkup in the urine detection window of 5 or so days. Just concentrate on ensuring the health of the child from this day forward. I think you should draw a line in the sand regarding the father's usage, if you want the baby to be born into a healthy environment. He should respect your recovery and the health of his child.
Thank you. I'm sitting here realizing this isn't going to work. He is always choosing drugs over me. I'm sure it will be the same when the babies here. I'm so sad... It's so hard to let go. I have called him several times in the past hour... No answer. It's so hard to let go... I wish it could just be easier.

That is a really powerful and mature realization to have. If you know that he is going to keep choosing drugs over you and the baby, then you and the baby are better off without him. Honestly the fact that he's using while you can't is already a red flag. I obviously don't know the guy but if you feel this way, I think there is probably a reason. <3

From now on the good of your child comes before anything else. And it should be for him, too. He should be doing everything he can to help you, and clearly using meth around you is bad for you and your child.

This sort of thing is very difficult, but the good news is, life moves on, and you will be able to find someone else when the time is right, who isn't going to be a bad influence on your and your child's life.

All should be well, Rx methamphetamine is a pregnancy category C. "US FDA pregnancy category C: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks." What is done is done. Stop use now and do not use when breast feeding. This was a one off thing just don't do it again.