• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Help! I think Suboxone is rotting my teeth!

I'm really scared too. I'm obsessed with my teeth and I've been on suboxone for about a year and a half daily. The first thing my suboxone doctor told me was "Make sure you brush your teeth right after you take it, because it will destroy your teeth." And I am not ready to get off suboxone any time soon, but I am only taking a maximum of 4mg a day. One thing I can tell you I found out is it is the fact that it gets rid of the saliva in your mouth that does it and there is this toothpaste called Biotene that helps so much. It replaces all the saliva that suboxone takes away and prevents your teeth from decaying. Other than that, just get a really strong mouthwash to use after brushing. Glad to know there are other people out there going through the same situation as me.

I have a question. I don't know if it's just my thyroid problem causing this, but I was wondering if suboxone has caused any one else occasional drooling? It's so embarrassing sometimes when I'm cuddling with my boyfriend and I drool all over his face haha. Last question, does anyone else on suboxone have trouble swallowing?

Mark Schamber,
I would LOVE to help you file a lawsuit. I've been on and off suboxone for years and only within the past 6 months was made aware that it causes these kind of horrible side effects. I used to have perfect teeth. Also, it can sometimes cause nerve damage, I now have carpal tunnel at the age of 24 and I don't type so there isn't an excuse for me to have it. I'm not for sure if suboxone caused the hypothyroidism I recently found out I have, but I doubt that. But anyway, please contact me. :)

I was on suboxone for 8 years and got three teeth yanked a couple months ago. Now I have to pay obscene amounts to get implants and get the others fixed. I am ready for a class action lawsuit!

In actuality I attribute it to adderall, that would dry my mouth out so bad.

Right before I decided to taper off, I was told Suboxone in combination with another of my scripts may be or has done considerable damage to my liver. The doctors reaction was basically a shrug of the shoulders. Not his problem. Prescription drugs are a blight.
Dry mouth can do horrible things to your teeth. I was on Sub for almost 5 years. I don't have many issues with my bottom teeth, but the top is another story. I need three fucking root canals. I mostly blame dry mouth brought on by dope use and certainly my fairly short lived meth habit as well.
Biotene can help a lot with dry mouth. There's some gels and toothpastes that help too.

I was never, by like 5 different prescribing doctors(I've moved a lot) told that Sub promotes tooth decay. If there's a class action suit started, I want in....

Last edited:
i agree. i'm far more active since i've been off street drugs and on Subutex. Although i hate having to depend on something everyday i actually feel normal again for the 1st time in many years

Um.

No one ever discounted NOT brushing your teeth as a cause for tooth decay.

However that is another issue behind opiate use and tooth decay. It's not the actual opiate, but it's the bad habits that go along with it. You nailed a big one, nodding off without brushing your teeth. Even for those who are too defensive to admit bad concomitant habits to opiate use/abuse, this is an obvious contributing factor.

Yes but that is somewhat of a generalization. I have know people who are chronic pain patients who take opiates of quite high doses daily who have had issues with their teeth such as talked about here. But guess what, <gasp>, believe it or not they are actually high functioning members of society, with a job and everything and they actually have really good hygiene! (Please insert sarcasm where necessary). Yes some opiate users may lack in hygiene just as some non opiate users in a population do...but this does NOT apply to all opiate users by any means!

I know suboxone has destroyed my bottom teeth. I was on the tablets for about 6 years and now the films . My front two bottom teeth are about to fall out. I went to the dentist for regular cleanings and took care of my teeth. The worst part is I recently had to go to a new dentist and he was such an ass. He knew nothing about suboxone and instantly labeled me as some meth head. He wanted to pull all my teeth good ones as well. He even refused to pull a broken tooth unless I agreed to have some lower teeth pulled at the same time. Anyway my teeth are ruined and I wish I had known suboxone would damage them . I wouldn't have stopped suboxone but could have tried to prevent it by placing the subs in different parts of my mouth and paying extra attention to the teeth exposed to the subs. But in the end I would still pick tooth decay over a serious opiate addiction like before I started subs
This is gross but suboxone is definitly rotting away my fucking teeth!!!!!! Ive been on it on and off for years and I started slowly (keyword: slowly) weaning off of it like 6 weeks ago. I was flossing today and noticed a tiny bit of black near the front of my bottom teeth in the sides inside. Obviously I freaked! Ive only had one cavity in my entire life, constantly brush and floss, so it has to be the subs. I need to make a dentist appointment, but I hate telling doctors im on subs bc a good percentage of them JUDGE blatantly and in the past ive recieved shit treatment from doctors after they found out i was a former addict. Also, if I were to need oral surgery, I am unable to take pain meds. After over a year heroin free I wouldnt want to go back, but I also wouldnt want to reinact James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces" memoir.

Has anyone else had oral issues from suboxone? regret ever going on this fucking drug, im so scared that my teeth are going to fall out now and ill lose the will to live. Seems like however far past addiction I get ill always be reminded and suffering consequences from my past. Seriously freaking out 8o

ps. obviously continuing to wean off subs is a top priority. went from 16 a day to now 12. Seems like nothing but to anyone who has been on subs for YEARS theyll tell you its a long painful process getting off this shit.

Dear Mr Schamber,
What ever happened? Is there a suit?
Yes, I believe that my current dental problems, multiple cavities and my front tooth breaking off mdisintegrating)

Dear Mr Schamber,
What ever happened? Is there a suit?
Yes, I believe that my current numerous dental problems, multiple cavities and my front tooth breaking off and others disintegrating.
I am fearful & a long term suboxone user ( 10 years ).
Please contact me if anyone is aware of a class action case for this damage.
Has RB replied to anyone?
I await a response & am new to this site ( I only saw 2013 posts about dental breakdown caused by Suboxone.

Im 35 yr old, a non smoker, well smoked shortly, about 3 yrs lightly and its been many years since. I take care of my teeth with a $100 vibration brush. Floss here and there and use mouth wash regularly. I have been on suboxone for 11 years nows, yes a long time and within the past few months my teeth took a turn for the worse. Like five are chipping at the gum line and i had two break in the past year. i have severe chronic pain and no doctor will give me anything but suboxone for 7 years now, ive tried. They say im going to need to learn to live with it. They made me dependant on oxycontin at 16 and im the bad guy. Anyway, I cant imagine what it is other than dry mouth at night. Which to be honest the suboxone causes a little but my muscle relaxants, flexeral and tizanidine cause way worse. so i stopped taking the flexeral all together right away and the tazanidine only during the day at .5mg which doesnt give dry mouth. But things just keep getting worse. I to am freaking out and am going to cut back and quit the subsoxone once and for all. Ive done it before and just need to set aside 2-3 weeks to do it again. Currently and for awhile i been taking 10-16mg a day. I can cut down to 4mg in about 2 months with some help from valium and lyrica. Im going to call the dentist tomorrow and my insurance and get this worked on. I will let you know what all the Doctors in their divine wisdom will have to say about it all.

Im 35 yr old, a non smoker, well smoked shortly, about 3 yrs lightly and its been many years since. I take care of my teeth with a $100 vibration brush. Floss here and there and use mouth wash regularly. I have been on suboxone for 11 years nows, yes a long time and within the past few months my teeth took a turn for the worse. Like five are chipping at the gum line and i had two break in the past year. i have severe chronic pain and no doctor will give me anything but suboxone for 7 years now, ive tried. They say im going to need to learn to live with it. They made me dependant on oxycontin at 16 and im the bad guy. Anyway, I cant imagine what it is other than dry mouth at night. Which to be honest the suboxone causes a little but my muscle relaxants, flexeral and tizanidine cause way worse. so i stopped taking the flexeral all together right away and the tazanidine only during the day at .5mg which doesnt give dry mouth. But things just keep getting worse. I to am freaking out and am going to cut back and quit the subsoxone once and for all. Ive done it before and just need to set aside 2-3 weeks to do it again. Currently and for awhile i been taking 10-16mg a day. I can cut down to 4mg in about 2 months with some help from valium and lyrica. Im going to call the dentist tomorrow and my insurance and get this worked on. I will let you know what all the Doctors in their divine wisdom will have to say about it all.
All you can use methadone
I try all and methadone e' il farmaco con 0 effetti collaterali.

Riguardo al fentanyl patch leccato invece ho in pochi mesi scheggiato i denti.
Non so se è perché sbattono tra loro cercando di rompere il cerotto o il farmaco.
Fatemi sapere e tu passa al metadone

I know suboxone has destroyed my bottom teeth. I was on the tablets for about 6 years and now the films . My front two bottom teeth are about to fall out. I went to the dentist for regular cleanings and took care of my teeth. The worst part is I recently had to go to a new dentist and he was such an ass. He knew nothing about suboxone and instantly labeled me as some meth head. He wanted to pull all my teeth good ones as well. He even refused to pull a broken tooth unless I agreed to have some lower teeth pulled at the same time. Anyway my teeth are ruined and I wish I had known suboxone would damage them . I wouldn't have stopped suboxone but could have tried to prevent it by placing the subs in different parts of my mouth and paying extra attention to the teeth exposed to the subs. But in the end I would still pick tooth decay over a serious opiate addiction like before I started subs
Scusa hai carie, o si scheggiano,?
Dopo quanto tempo ti sei accorto?

Riguardo al fentanyl pissi dure che in 8 anni non avresti più i denti.
Scheggiati.
Ma se li ingoi Cosa succede all' Interno?
E comunque non ho capito se è perché frantumò
I cerotti e i denti sbattono tra loro o se è il farmaco.
Riguardo al Lollipop dicono attenzione 2 grammi di zucchero alle carie.
E i. Ragazzi che usano no drugs lollipops?

Turn methadone