• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Heavy chest/harder to breath when opioid WD begins? Or nitrous lung damage?

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
I've only got a very mild dependency at around 5 mg methadone every 48 hrs. I definitely feel the normal mild WD stuff like antsy, inability to sleep and stomach cramps when it's been 2 days after a dose.

However latley I noticed that it feels like harder to breath in the sense that I am not getting as much oxygen or something with each breath.l is how to best describe it. If I dose again my breathing feels totally normal again.

I can do hard 1 hr open water swims at high intensity I'm in pretty good athletic and cardio shape. However I have a long history of smoking weed (havnt in 2 or 3 months now)....and I was using 50 charges of nitrous 1 or two times a week during that period 2 or 3 months ago also.

I'm worried the nitrous damaged my lungs because I defintly had lung pain after sashes.

The weird thing is I havnt noticed a decrease in my athletic cardio ability at all when I swim and I even do lots of underwater laps doing long breatholds as part of the training that I havnt noticed a loss in performanc ..just this weird harder to breath thing on opioid WD when I'm at rest. But I've got a long history of opioid use and WD and had never noticed this.

Anyone else experience this?

Opioids are sometimes used to treat dyspnea (difficulty breathing) so not surprisingly opioid withdrawal can cause a characteristic chest tightness.

And yes, I feel as if nitrous seriously messed up lungs.

Opioids are sometimes used to treat dyspnea (difficulty breathing) so not surprisingly opioid withdrawal can cause a characteristic chest tightness.

And yes, I feel as if nitrous seriously messed up lungs.
Nitrous messed up my lungs or yours? It was literally only like 15 or 20 sessions over three months for me
How much nitrous did you use?

I definitely have ways gotten throat tighness from opioid WD but this is the first time noticing chest.

Nitrous messed up my lungs or yours? It was literally only like 15 or 20 sessions over three months for me
How much nitrous did you use?

I definitely have ways gotten throat tighness from opioid WD but this is the first time noticing chest.

Well i used it years ago in high amounts (50 cartridges or more per day) and didn't notice too much, but when i used it more recently (similar to the amount/frequency you described) my lungs felt off and I coughed for a while. They still feel off, for instance if get a whiff of cleaning spray ill be coughing way more than normal and for extended periods of time.

Well i used it years ago in high amounts (50 cartridges or more per day) and didn't notice too much, but when i used it more recently (similar to the amount/frequency you described) my lungs felt off and I coughed for a while. They still feel off, for instance if get a whiff of cleaning spray ill be coughing way more than normal and for extended periods of time.
Shit thats kind of my same story.

Do you notice that it comlromised athletic cardio performance (if you happen to do those things)? Like when I get in the pool and swim I domt notice that I'm compromised at all in any way compared to before my recent nitrous use..then when I go lay in bed later I notice it.

I also have a very slight cough sometimes out of nowhere that is new. Like one week little small cough for no reason.

Many years ago I binged nitrous then went like 7 years not using it. During that early binge I suffered a partially collapsed lung but after recovering after a few months I felt normal again.

I also was snorting methadone pills for some dumb reason latley and noticed that made it worse. Now I swallow them.

On the opioid thing they just remove all pain or discomfort so I'm wondering if that's just why I don't feel it or maybe there is some WD based reason of chest tightness like you mentioned.

Anyways if there is damage sound like shit a doctor can't fix just like my K bladder damage so more organ damage to live with from drugs....which hopefully I don't deal with by taking more drugs. Ohhhh fuck addiction.

Last edited:
I had no idea about nitrous and lung damage : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10665837/

"For example, high-dose inhaled nitric oxide decreases surfactant function in the lung. Inhaled nitric oxide also acts as a pulmonary irritant, causing priming of lung macrophages and oxidative damage to lung epithelial cells. Conversely, protective effects of nitric oxide have been described in a number of pathological states, including hyperoxic and ischemia/reperfusion injury. Nitric oxide has also been reported to protect against oxidative damage induced by other reactive intermediates, including superoxide anion and hydroxyl radical. The dose and timing of nitric oxide administration needs to be ascertained in clinical trials before recommendations can be made regarding its optimal use in patients."
This paper is about nitric oxide. Different chemical than nitrous oxide we are discussing

Shit thats kind of my same story.

Do you notice that it comlromised athletic cardio performance (if you happen to do those things)? Like when I get in the pool and swim I domt notice that I'm compromised at all in any way compared to before my recent nitrous use..then when I go lay in bed later I notice it.

I also have a very slight cough sometimes out of nowhere that is new. Like one week little small cough for no reason.

Many years ago I binged nitrous then went like 7 years not using it. During that early binge I suffered a partially collapsed lung but after recovering after a few months I felt normal again.

I also was snorting methadone pills for some dumb reason latley and noticed that made it worse. Now I swallow them.

On the opioid thing they just remove all pain or discomfort so I'm wondering if that's just why I don't feel it or maybe there is some WD based reason of chest tightness like you mentioned.

Anyways if there is damage sound like shit a doctor can't fix just like my K bladder damage so more organ damage to live with from drugs....which hopefully I don't deal with by taking more drugs. Ohhhh fuck addiction.

My got better with time. But perhaps its batch related, with certain bad batches causing more damage due to contaminants.

Never buy nitrous that is made in asia (most often its Taiwan). I made this mistake plenty of times until i put 2 and 2 together. Taiwanese nitrous is very dirty. Contaminant gases, chemicals and oils are likely the causative agent.

You collapsed a lung from nitrous oxide use?

My got better with time. But perhaps its batch related, with certain bad batches causing more damage due to contaminants.

Never buy nitrous that is made in asia (most often its Taiwan). I made this mistake plenty of times until i put 2 and 2 together. Taiwanese nitrous is very dirty. Contaminant gases, chemicals and oils are likely the causative agent.

You collapsed a lung from nitrous oxide use?
I believe so they diagnosed it via CT and i lied and said it was diving related air pressure. I had the dumb idea to hit a bottle then bend over to compress my lungs to force the nitrous gas into my blood under pressure. This is how I did all my hits.

Plus I was smoking massive amounts of black tar, cigs and weed.

I believe so they diagnosed it via CT and i lied and said it was diving related air pressure. I had the dumb idea to hit a bottle then bend over to compress my lungs to force the nitrous gas into my blood under pressure. This is how I did all my hits.

Plus I was smoking massive amounts of black tar, cigs and weed.

Yeah I had a similar idea once though I just pushed on my chest. Glad I never tried that bending idea 😮

I wouldn't use any "food grade" nitrous without a good filter. It is full of oil and god knows what. I use a 0.3 micron filter with a buffer of oil absorber around it.

I've been withdrawing from sub this week and I noticed after a little activity I feel really fatigued and kinda hard to breathe. I thinks it's just part of being dope sick.

Par for the course I'm afraid.

Opiate withdrawal always made me feel like I was drowning while some cunt was sat on my chest...

Whatever you do please be very careful with this, and get seen immediately if your condition worsens!

Last edited: