• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Heart Rate Extremely Low 2 Days After Cocaine

dexterlite

Greenlighter
Hello,

I have had this issue before, and am wondering if this is normal, or if I should start seeking serious medical help. And before the influx of comments, I am doing my best to stop using, and have been doing a pretty good job of controlling it recently. But my birthday was recently, followed by halloween, which resulted in 3 consecutive days of typical cocaine use. Just doing bumps/lines with friends and drinking a lot.

Well the day after my 3rd day of usage, I was super hungover, and as usual, my heart rate was round 85 bpm all day (about 15 to 20 bpm more than usual) but kind of had a harder THUMP to it than usual. I think this is typical for most people the day after heavy drinking with about .5-.75 g cocaine throughout the night.

What is SUPER weird is that the 2nd day after, when I have had a super long night's sleep, and am no longer hung over or feeling the coke, my heart rate dropped SIGNIFICANTLY. I was sitting at my desk at work, then did a nice, relaxing stretch which gave me a normal, fleeting head rush followed by a relaxed state. At this time I began measuring my heart rate, and it dropped all the way to 33pm for the first 5-10 minutes after my stretch. And for the rest of the entire day (next 9 hours) it stayed around 45pm. I am decently in shape and healthy, 25 ys old, and my resting heart rate is usually in the low to mid 60s. Around 6 months ago, I was rigorous with my exercise and diet routine, and got my resting heart rate down to about 53 bpm which i was very proud of. So I know that a resting heart rate of 45 bpm is well below what my body should produce.

Curious what this means, and if anyone can relate!

Probably reflex bradycardia, which if I understand it correctly is the body's response to sustained high blood pressure and basically an effort to reduce stress on your circulatory system. It's pretty common after long surgeries, for example, and probably happens to a lesser extent after any stimulant session even if you haven't noticed it before. If you did cocaine 3 days in a row, you've probably had some sustained periods of high blood pressure and thus circulatory stress, so your body is overcompensating now it has the chance. If you're not experiencing any other physical symptoms I don't think it's anything to be concerned about... A low heart rate, like a low blood pressure, assuming that you are basically sober at the time (ie, not any any downers) and it isn't causing any other symptoms, is generally not cause for concern.

I should add that I am not a doctor or anything, so this is not my professional opinion and I could be wrong. I have also experienced rebound low heart rate after stimulant use however and so far have not experienced any long term negative effects.

Thanks for the response. Update: i went to the ER, they said i was fine, but to check back in a few days if it hasnt increased again. This is day 3 after coke and heart rate is still 45 BPM, about 20 BPM lower than usual. I feel ok, but if it doesnt rise back up in 1 more day im going to see a cardiologist.