• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Heart rate - cardio exercise vs. stimulant use

Fornax55

Bluelighter
So it's widely acknowledged that stimulant use is detrimental to the health of the heart and the cardiovascular system in general. I would imagine that this is primarily because of the way that most stimulants jack up heart rate and increased blood pressure.

However, we're also often told to "get the heart pumping" at least once a day with exercise. It's also true that blood pressure increases during exercise. My main question is about what the difference is when it comes to elevating heart rate? Why is it good to boost the heart rate when you do it manually but bad to have an elevated heart rate as a result of drugs?

My first thought would, of course, be that stimulants generally only cause heart problems when used to excess, and that longer-acting stimulants keep the heart rate raised for longer than you would probably ever exercise for. I'd imagine that exercising for 5-6 hours a day to maintain an elevated heart rate for as long as, say, a dextroamphetamine buzz) would also be detrimental to health.

But that just further suggests that there's not much difference between exercise-induced and drug-induced cardio stimulation, no? Wouldn't that mean that a short-acting stim, such as ritalin or cocaine, might actually be beneficial for the heart in a similar way as, say, a half-hour jog or an hour of swimming? Or that there would, perhaps, be some useful applications for stimulants in people who need to enhance cardio health?

So it's widely acknowledged that stimulant use is detrimental to the health of the heart and the cardiovascular system in general. I would imagine that this is primarily because of the way that most stimulants jack up heart rate and increased blood pressure.

However, we're also often told to "get the heart pumping" at least once a day with exercise. It's also true that blood pressure increases during exercise. My main question is about what the difference is when it comes to elevating heart rate? Why is it good to boost the heart rate when you do it manually but bad to have an elevated heart rate as a result of drugs?

My first thought would, of course, be that stimulants generally only cause heart problems when used to excess, and that longer-acting stimulants keep the heart rate raised for longer than you would probably ever exercise for. I'd imagine that exercising for 5-6 hours a day to maintain an elevated heart rate for as long as, say, a dextroamphetamine buzz) would also be detrimental to health.

But that just further suggests that there's not much difference between exercise-induced and drug-induced cardio stimulation, no? Wouldn't that mean that a short-acting stim, such as ritalin or cocaine, might actually be beneficial for the heart in a similar way as, say, a half-hour jog or an hour of swimming? Or that there would, perhaps, be some useful applications for stimulants in people who need to enhance cardio health?
Cocaine Is well documented to be cardio toxic , moderation Is the key tho. Anything in excess Is detrimental for.thr body

Lol... Pretty sure cocaine isn't beneficial to your heart in any amount. Bit of a difference in increasing your heart rate naturally through exercise vs. with cardio toxic drugs for extended periods of time.

Elevated heart rate on its own isn't a problem. The problems come from the resulting rise in unnatural blood pressure putting the added strain on your heart.

Cocaine Is well documented to be cardio toxic , moderation Is the key tho. Anything in excess Is detrimental for.thr body
Yeah I know - correct me if I'm wrong but I figured it was cardiotoxic because of the strain that it puts on your cardiovascular system (i.e. elevated heart rate and high blood pressure). I'm not asking whether or not stimulants are cardiotoxic or not, I'm asking what the different pharmacological mechanism is that causes the same symptoms (again, elevated BP etc) to have a detrimental effect in one case (drug use) and a beneficial effect in another case (exercise).

Elevated heart rate on its own isn't a problem. The problems come from the resulting rise in unnatural blood pressure putting the added strain on your heart.
Thanks for the answer! So why are unnatural blood pressure increases any different than natural ones? I suppose one case for that would be that when you're exercising, you're using more muscle and thus requiring more oxygen. The increased heart rate, of course, allows you to pump extra oxygen to feed your muscles. If you're on stimulants, I guess all that extra oxygen is just going to lead to oxidation, probably in the cardiovascular system leading to cardiotoxicity?

Hm, might have just answered my own question. That makes sense to me, but I'm not a cardiologist.

Pretty sure it has to do with vasodilation vs constriction.. When your exercising your body naturally dilates the blood vessels to help supply muscles with oxygen, when your on a stimulant it’s simply raising your heart rate and pressure while simultaneously constricting the vessels in your body.

-GC

I would say most likely because exercise produces high blood pressure and response to physical activity in a rebuilding manner. Like when you run hard and get your heartrate up and blood pressure elevated, it's to meet the physical demand of the body.

On the flip side, when you use stimulants, the body is unnaturally jacking up it's systems due to chemicals entering the system. Not sure the exact science but this makes sense to me.

Yeah I'm really not sure but it'd have to be a whole lot safer having your heart rate and stress from natural activities vs having chemicals and drugs (stims) cause it.

Cocaine is cardiotoxic because it interferes with the neural signalling to the heart which can lead to tissue damage.

Something like that, I'm not an expert.

It's not cardiotoxic because of increased blood pressure or heart rate.

Cocaine is cardiotoxic because it interferes with the neural signalling to the heart which can lead to tissue damage.

That's interesting, I did not know that. I'm thinking that we should move this over to Advanced Drug Discussion actually. This seems like a pretty simple question to me, but I'm thinking now that it could really benefit from the eyes of some of those guys. Any thoughts on that?

That's interesting, I did not know that. I'm thinking that we should move this over to Advanced Drug Discussion actually. This seems like a pretty simple question to me, but I'm thinking now that it could really benefit from the eyes of some of those guys. Any thoughts on that?

Yeah, there are some damn smart people over there.

In fact, the above post of mine is probably incomplete information and could deffo use some further explanation by someone who really knows what's what.

I think you're right, because amphetamine absolutely increases heart rate and BP yet it is not considered cardiotoxic.

I've exercised a fair bit on amphetamine and it hasn't caused any issues, and my doctor tells me it's fine too, just don't push myself beyond what I'd usually do - but that's more to make sure I don't pull anything than concerns over my heart exploding.

Obviously that's assuming therapeutic doses though. If you abuse the stuff the risks will naturally go up.

Interesting! Didn't know that, thanks for the input
I think you're right, because amphetamine absolutely increases heart rate and BP yet it is not considered cardiotoxic.
I didn't realize that, I guess I always just assumed amphetamine was cardiotoxic due to the strain it puts on the cardiovascular system. Definitely feels like it is sometimes!