• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

heart palpitations caused by mdma long after use??

robcd

Greenlighter
hi, basically ive recently gone to see my GP as ive been suffering from heart palpitations, she took my pulse and said she could feel the palpitations occuring when she took it. she asked me about drug use and i told her i used md about once a month since early august. i had blood tests and and ECG but the doc told me they came back ok, which was great but what worried me is that she told me the palpitations are most likely being caused as a late reaction to the md or something it had been cut with, but it should sort itself out.
the last time i used md was the end of january and suffered my first bad palpitation about two to three weeks later and they have continued since
im currently recieving no meds for the palitations and nothings being done to sort them out medically
was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else or is common or do you think my doctor is just ignoring it because i take drugs and stuff?
any help would be appreciated thanks!

forgot to say, i think i did a bit too much md the last time i did it as i got weird 'brain zaps' - kinda felt like electricity in my brain. also, my friend took the same stuff and hasnt experienced any problems

I've had them. I should say that I have been suffering from a wide variety of issues since I took MDMA (3,5 months ago).

Heart palpitations and brain zaps might not be common in the general population of MDMA users, but in the users who experience adverse side effects it is definitely two common symptoms.

Mdxx compounds do deplete serotonin stores in the brain, which can result in anxiety/depression issues. anxiety can and usually does cause palpitations and/or arrythmias of the heart, so have you had any panic attack issues that precipitated the palpitations? it may be nothing to worry about if you get anxious often. this has happened to me from mdma abuse and i just slowed WAY down and im normal now, lol if you can call it that. no panic attacks or arrythmias for about 2 yrs now, and im almost positive its due to me sticking to the rule of only rolling once every 3 months.....not once+ every single month.

if they try to give you clonodine for the palpitations id advise you to not take it(made my arrythmias way worse), but then again im just some dude on the internet, not an M.D.

I usually find myself having a normal steady heartbeat when I take mdma, as opposed to cocaine, where my heart races and has palpitated before.
With m, i feel like my heart rate does not go up very much, i feel in a more calming state.
My girlfriend is the opposite though..she claims that she feels normal when doing blow, button m her heart races too much and is somewhat overwhelming.

Ive never had a panic attack before and dont have any clinical anxiety disorders or anything like that, but I do consider myself quite a paranoid person maby that might have something to do with it. Yeah I dont plan on taking any drugs again untill my heart sorts itself out. Any ideas if im getting palpitations would it be more dangerous for me to continue taking it if I cut down?

Hmm I duno if the doctor gives me anything (I dont have any more appointments at the moment) in the future ill try it out at least and see how it goes but thanks for the heads up

Yeah I cant remember having any heart problems when im high its just now a few weeks after that im having thr issues, but that might be because im kinda distracted at the time haha

Thanks for the advice btw, really helping me worry about it less!

Did she say what kind of arrythmia you are having? Atrial fibrillation vs. premature ventricular contraction vs. other ectopic contractions, etc?

I have heard of this before on this forum. There was a user on here named Bben who developed supraventricular tachycardia after a bad overdose on MDMA. It sounded like he had to get a cardiac ablation procedure to fix this.

If you are continuing to have palpitations over an extended period of time, or if you experience any fainting, lightheadness, dizziness, or chest pain you should see your physician right away. An EKG may not be a long enough exam to document an irregular heart rhythm, and they may need to hook you up to a Holter monitor to find the irregularity.

If there truly is an irregularity in your cardiac rhythm, make sure your lab work is ok, especially serum electrolyte levels such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
In the setting of MDMA, you may want to ask your physician to consider checking thyroid function tests. MDMA can have a significant effect on your pituitary, which secretes Thyroid Stimulating Hormone. Hyperthyroidism and even thyrotoxicosis have been implicated in cardiac arrythmias such as new onset atrial fibrillation.

Hopefully this just resolves on its own as you abstain from MDMA, but the above points are things to be considered if you continue to feel palpitations over the medium and long term.

Last edited:
if they try to give you clonodine for the palpitations id advise you to not take it(made my arrythmias way worse), but then again im just some dude on the internet, not an M.D.

Please be careful giving this type of advice. Advising the original poster to refuse a hemodynamically active medication such as clonidine despite the recommendation of a physician is potentially dangerous, simply because you perceived that it made you worse. You are providing anecdotal data based on a sample size of N=1 which may contradict the recommendation of a physician.
People often come to Bluelight and are desperately seeking advice and believe what they read on here. Suggesting to refuse a medication despite recommendation of a doctor without at least backing up your rationale scientifically may be doing a big disservice to the original poster.

Your experience is important however, and your negative experience to clonidine should be noted and archived. These anecdotal pieces of information in MDMA users may shed light on patterns, and help shed light on new ideas for treatment in MDMA sufferers. These ideas serve to supplement your treatment after collaboration with your physician.

Last edited:
She just told me that the results came back clear but didnt really give me any reason for the palpitations other than the possability it was the md. Ive only realy experienced chest pain and tightness but these only last for a few secs, gosh hopefully its not that bad, at the moment its not getting any better or worse so I think ill wait and see if it sorts itself out before going back to the doctors but thanks for the advice

Do you suffer from anxiety at all? Often heart palpitations can be anxiety-related.

No clinical anxiety disorders, but im quite a paranoid person rather than anxious, probably due to smoking weed at a young age but ive since stopped this as it just made me paranoid. Ive never had a panic attack or anything.
My palpitations tend to be at random however even when im very calm and tend to get worse even when drifting off to sleep, but this may be as I notice them more

@zebrafish: its as if you didnt even read me write this ---> "but then again, im just some dude on the internet, not an MD". that clearly states that im aware that he/she should always take the advice of their doctor over some anonymous dude online. anecdotal evidence is important, as i had a terrible experience with clonodine when i tried to use it for arrythmias, and it may happen to others, so they need to at least understand that it MAY exacerbate his issue. i wish i was told that it may make it worse, cuz i thought i was gonna drop DEAD after taking my prescribed dose of clonodine. happened more than once actually. one things for sure, heart issues suck open ass. id take about a hundred other health problems over that..

Sorry facedbeyond, I didn't mean to come off attacking. I guess I am just sensitive to the idea of someone refusing the idea of an anti-arrythmic medication despite its prescription by a physician. Clonidine is a centrally acting anti-hypertensive medication that is a pre-synaptic alpha-2 agonist. It's role in arrythmias is less clear that its role in hypertension, but certain types of arrythmias (such as premature ventricular contractions in congestive heart failure patients) have been shown to be responsive to clonidine. I don't know what type of arrythmia you had or what is the cause of the palpitations in the original poster, but clonidine may be effective is some types of arrythmias but not others.

While I am the first to admit that most physicians don't know shit about the effects of MDMA, they are pretty good at treating the potential sequelae that arise from its use, such as cardiac problems. You are right though, what makes this forum so great is the anecdotal data on this site, because the effects and effective treatment of MDMA toxicity is not well known. I think the best approach is to bring the anecdotal data as well as information from what is available in MDMA literature to the attention of your physician, so that he/she can better treat your symptoms.

MDMA is a 5-HT2B agonist which has been implicated in heart problems before (as in the case of fenfluramine (phen phen). Since 5-HT2B agonism can cause actual physical changes in the heart over time, its possible that MDMA can cause heart palpitations and other heart problems in the long term but I don't think there is enough research to conclude one way or the other. MDMA isn't selective for 5HT2A so it agonizes 2B and other subunits as well.