Mental Health Healthy outlets for anger?

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member
I've never considered myself an angry or mean person. I'm actually very very calm and chill IRL, however over the years just like anyone would I've developed a lot of emotional and angry baggage, resentments and the like...

I've never really been an angry person so I don't know how to deal with it in a healthy way. I usually build up for awhile then unload in a very unhealthy uncharacteristic way.

Should I get a punching bag?

I don't know... how do you guys deal with built up anger/emotion other than drugs obviously? Exercise seems to help but it's not a true outlet for me.

Boxing bag, speed bag, floor-to-ceiling bag.
HIIT machine (either a bike or an elliptical cross-trainer)
Weights

I plan to have all 3, I've got the boxing stuff and the weights/power rack, but plan on getting a cross trainer soon. Will keep looking for a good used one, to save some money, and there are quite a few out there from existing gyms that closed down due to the pandemic.

Boxing bag, speed bag, floor-to-ceiling bag.
HIIT machine (either a bike or an elliptical cross-trainer)
Weights

I plan to have all 3, I've got the boxing stuff and the weights/power rack, but plan on getting a cross trainer soon. Will keep looking for a good used one, to save some money, and there are quite a few out there from existing gyms that closed down due to the pandemic.
I'm a dude and have always seen the physical and mental benefits of things like lifting, boxing, etc..

I love running long distance but have always had an aversion to lifting for some reason and I'm not sure why

I should give it another shot... I typically push myself to hard an injure myself in the gym :/

I've never used it specifically for that, but I'd suggest long-slow distancing (LSD) running. By slow I mean very slow. I've often taken people out who never ran before, and seen them run 5 miles easily. With wonderful results. The secret is "short steps." Mind you I was in my 20s. :\

🙏

I've never used it specifically for that, but I'd suggest long-slow distancing (LSD) running. By slow I mean very slow. I've often taken people out who never ran before, and seen them run 5 miles easily. With wonderful results. The secret is "short steps." Mind you I was in my 20s. :\

🙏
You might wanna rephrase that on this forum aaha

I literally truly thought you meant running slowly over a long distance on LSD until I reread 5 mins later

I swim laps. It’s very meditative and demonstrably lowers your blood pressure and cortisol levels. You start your first lap thinking about whatever made you angry that day and keep swimming until its gone. Ultimately your exhaustion helps dissipate it.

For your older angry person it’s a lot less wear and tear on the body than boxing or running.

Let it out bit by bit on the regular, don't let it build up

If exercise is only a partial aid, well keep doing it.

Screaming yer fuckin head off where noone can hear you helps some.

Write your anger out of you, can be a good release.

Meditation can be incredible for anger issues alongside not judging ourselves for feeling a natural emotion...

I'm sure you know this shit already man, am very stoned and tired ans cpt. obvious rn

I like to draw, really takes my mind off things when I concentrate.

Also, when I used to have access to horses, going out to the barn and just petting a horse helped a lot. Do you have a pet?

Let it out bit by bit on the regular, don't let it build up
100% agree with this. Small amounts of anger are much easier to deal with than big huge bursts of rage!

If exercise is only a partial aid, well keep doing it.
Exercise is fantastic for regulating moods, especially really high intensity exercise that releases a bunch of endorphins. Endorphins are a natural mood stabiliser <3

Write your anger out of you, can be a good release.
I am a huge fan of journalling, for this very reason. It's a really effective way of venting your emotions, and it also helps to sort things out in your head as you write them down. It helps you to work through things and find potential solutions to problems.