• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Health Risks of Smoking Weed?

Davey123

Greenlighter
I used to be very narrow minded and stubborn on drugs. Recently, my horizons have been broadened somewhat, but because of my previous reservations etc I am relatively uneducated on what is fact and what is propaganda/nonsense.

My biggest area of uncertainty revolves around the physical health risks to smoking cannabis.

I have researched enough to know that the smoking of cannabis does not seem to have any significance on the incidence of somebody developing cancer. However, I have heard from numerous sources that vaporising is better than smoking (via blunt, joint, bong, pipe, etc). It seems that the reason for this is to do with the combustion of the plant has more of a negative affect on the lungs.

Is this correct? If so, to what extent, what can it cause and what are the other physical risks?

Combustion of any organic material is going to cause reactions that release a plethora of toxic and potentially carcinogenic chemicals - cannabis is no different - although smoking tobacco is potentially much worse due to radioactive trace elements from the fertilisers used to grow the stuff that concentrate on the leaf of the plant (http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/03/13/3451931.htm)

Vaporising reduces the risk posed by combustion considerably. It is also hella efficient, my weed lasts nearly twice as long as it does when I smoke it.

Combustion of any organic material is going to cause reactions that release a plethora of toxic and potentially carcinogenic chemicals - cannabis is no different - although smoking tobacco is potentially much worse due to radioactive trace elements from the fertilisers used to grow the stuff that concentrates on the leaf of the plant (http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/03/13/3451931.htm). But, regardless, it is well documented that cannabis smoke contains concentrations of known carcinogens at worrying concentrations.

Vaporising reduces the risk posed by combustion considerably.

Ingesting marijuana for an extended period of time will give me a migraine. Like say if I smoke for a few weeks straight.

It's not life and death, but I consider it a health risk.