• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

HEALTH CANADA gives import of 9g MDMA the green-light

B1tO'RoughJack

Bluelighter
From my email inbox - more good news for MDMA research into PTSD treatment
Health Canada: an official MDMA import permit for our planned Canadian study of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD. After working 3½ years to satisfy Health Canada's security requirements, our pharmacist finally has permission to bring nine grams of MDMA into Canada for the study.

Set and setting: Researcher Mimi Peleg admires
a painting donated by artist Carolyn Kleefeld
in the treatment room for our new Israeli study
of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD
As Phase 2 of our MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD research program takes off—with new studies also starting in Colorado and Israel—funding is a greater challenge than ever before. Now, the next challenge is to gather the data necessary to design the best possible Phase 3 trials intended to make MDMA-assisted psychotherapy a legally available treatment for PTSD.

Meanwhile, the combined forces of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration and National Institute on Drug Abuse/Public Health Service continue to block our FDA-reviewed study of marijuana for symptoms of PTSD in U.S. veterans. MAPS is supporting a lawsuit against the DEA for blocking medical marijuana research, and the ruling could come any day.

There's a lot to learn in this edition of the MAPS Email Newsletter, including:

Our new Israeli study of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD screens its first subject
The 12th subject is treated in our ongoing U.S. study of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for U.S. veterans, firefighters, and police officers with PTSD
Retired Maj. Ricky Smith speaks with ABC News Charleston about how MDMA-assisted psychotherapy has helped him move past the PTSD he developed while fighting in Kuwait and Iraq
A dedicated Australian supporter cuts off his hair to benefit psychedelic research, and a professional couple in California "carves out" $40,000 to help us continue our work
The American Botanical Council speaks with MAPS Executive Director Rick Doblin, Ph.D, and takes us inside Israel's successful medical cannabis program
Subscribe to our updates on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, and visit our YouTube channel for videos about everything from LSD and medical marijuana to psychedelic harm reduction.
Are you curious what's in store at Psychedelic Science 2013? Check out the first episode of Psychedelic Science & Me, where Beckley Foundation founder and director Amanda Feilding talks about what she's most excited to learn and experience this April 18-23 in Oakland, California.

Valentine's Day reminds us to celebrate the power of human connection, and to remind those closest to us how much we care for them. As we continue our work to create safe contexts for the beneficial uses of psychedelics and marijuana, it helps to remember that love always heals.

As always with love,

Brad Burge
MAPS Director of Communications

I find it hilarious they are having to import it - when Canada produces a huge amount of the west's MDMA!

yeah that is pretty funny actually lol Canada supplies most of the US with MDMA (no sources)

but great news for treatment of PTSD. wish i could be given a trial of this considering my night terrors are only getting worse and i clearly suffer from some sort of PTSD. I don't think MDMA would help me though as i've done my fair share of street MDMA and it didn't do anything but maybe in the right setting it would have success.

WHat kind of dosages have you used though? I found it to be VERY therapeutic in lower doses - just above threshold.

Great news!

It must be because of purity issues and laboratory requirements they have to import it. I remember reading in DMT - The Spirit Molecule that Dr. Strassman had quite a lot of difficulties getting the actual permit for the DMT because of such reasons..

They are getting the MDMA from a/some legitimate source/s not illicit labs. Purity shouldn't be an issue

I hope they take all the necessary precautions with this shipment. If even one picogram of MDMA falls to the soil, all the children get pregnant and die.

WHat kind of dosages have you used though? I found it to be VERY therapeutic in lower doses - just above threshold.

well recreational doses of course and in completely inappropriate settings usually mixed with methamp, so yeah there's no doubt in my mind it has therapeutic potential in the right setting and at the right dose. Not sure what my original point was.

I find it hilarious they are having to import it - when Canada produces a huge amount of the west's MDMA!

And that they spent 3½ years making the pharmacy secure enough to hold it when there's probably more MDMA on the 'street' within a square mile.

It took 3 years to satisfy requirements for a single pharmacist to obtain 9 grams of MDMA? really?

What a waste of time. Doing these kind of things off the books would have gotten so much more research done so much quicker.

Man I'd love to get my hands on some of that..
NSFW:
Racemic_MDMA_Crystal_2.jpg

^ My goldfish has some of that. It looks delicious from up close.

Seems like a bunch of bureaucratic, obstructionist non-sense to me. There is no excuse for it taking 3.5 years or needing supreme security requirements.

How idiotic. It's stories like this that remind me how much the government is trying to stop progress.

But I guess if we want real, valid research that can fight the war on drugs to be accomplished, they have to satisfy the powers that be.