• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Health benefits of sodium valproate

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
would very low doses of valproic acid have some health benefits. I know there are Side effects but if used at low doses could one obtain the benefits for example nerve growth. Also how would valproate affect a healthy person who has no reason to use it
Also will it help somebody with a DHD or anger problems

I read that this medication is used to treat seizure disorders, mood conditions, e.g. bp disorder.
It works to balance of natural substances in the brain.

I did not know about anger problems though.

250mg is the lowest dose I believe, and many people (me included) felt zero subjective effect at 1000mg, so unfortunately it's one of those meds where you have to push the dose to see a subjective difference. 250mg might help a bit though. It would probably be protective of your brain but it can be very hard on the spine and joints. I personally would avoid valproate. It's HDAC inhibiting properties are interesting for possibly reducing DeltaFosB (though another study says valproate induces DeltaFosB) but the HDAC inhibiton is responsible for the skeleton issues. Over 50% of patients on anti epileptic drugs have bad bone mineral density issues - the spine issues are the most debilitating. Somebody reported herniations at 1 year of use.

The HDAC inhibiting properties are confusing because some say it opposes DeltaFosB induction while another 2 studies show Valporate induces DeltaFosB and addiction related sensitization.

DeltaFosB can cause the dendritic processes of dopamine neurons to branch out, and this process is probably somewhat permanent. This would probably help with depression but I think somebody with too much excitability wouldn't want this.

NMDA antagonists have been shown to induce DeltaFosB and I wouldn't be surprised if that's a major mechanism of their psychosis inducing ability.