• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Headaches from Venlafaxine

Allein

Bluelight Crew
I've posted this over here in BDD because I get more responses here than in TDS so can I ask its left here for a bit even if you mods think it should be in TDS just to see what info i get here..pretty please with sugar and what not;)

I've been on Venlafaxine 150MG slow release and have been on this for about 2 months or so after about a month of taking 2 35mg tabs morning and evening.

I take my dose in the morning and tolerate this drug pretty well compared to any other AD I've tried to use, the only problem I have are persistent headaches, fist off my GP was giving me 30/500 Co Codamol which seemed to work pretty well for a bit he didn't put them repeat which wasn't a surprise. Anyhow I ran out so have tried using 8/500's OTC which make no dent in the headaches at all. I can't use Ibuprophen or similar due to a recent stomach bleed.

I went for a check up and he asked me to get an eye test done (i wear glasses all the time for distance) my eyes are fine and the optician did extra tests as it was a GP referral.

MY GP now ants to put me on Amitriptyline, I'm really not keen as I've had such nasty problems with ADs and I'm just getting sorted with the Venlafaxine and making some progress with my CBT.

Any suggestions for headache cures these feel like they are in the front of my head behind the eyes and are very persistent and are definitely being trigged by the Venlafaxine.

Thanks for any help

Headaches are extremely unpleasant, sorry you're having them. You can try applying gentle, steady rotating pressure to the painful area of your head with two fingers. Maintain pressure for seven to 15 seconds, then release. Repeat as needed.

As far as drugs go, maybe try Excedrin (acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine). You could also ask your GP about a drug called Fioricet, which contains butalbital- a barbituate, and the ingredients in Excedrin.

Thanks KDvicious I do try to rotate my fingers on the pressure points either side of my eyes but it doesn't seem to help these headaches.

I'm from the UK so I don't think they will likey prescribe Barbs at all and I take Diazepam so I think that would rule them out anyway, but tanks for your advice

I know this thread is old but I just wanted to add that I'm currently on 75-150mg Venlafaxine per day and I have to take at least one Aspirin with every dose, the headaches are always in the same spot, front lobe both sides. When I have been out of Venlafaxine I found that massaging, mild benzos, Aspirin, and darkness helps a little, while Caffeine didn't help me at all, which is extremely weird for me. After the next dose of Venlafaxine and Aspirin, 20' in the headaches disappear.
I even once had a theory that Venlafaxine can cause Migraines (I mean real Migraines, not "strong headaches", look it up if you don't know what I mean), however, this drug was the ONLY antidepressant that worked on me after trying 3 different SSRI's. Maybe it's related to my Tramadol addiction too, because Venlafaxine it's so similar and works indirectly on several opiate receptors PLUS helps with my mixed neuropathy; I would even say that sometimes I feel Venlafaxine is even better than 150mg Pregabalin (which I'm also prescribed) for gum, backpain, and limbs "itching", specially hands.