• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Head spinning sensation while off Xanax?

drfeelgood1

Bluelighter
Recently, I had been taking 1mg per day Xanax and now I am trying to taper off by taking Xanax XR instead 0.5mg daily which helps a bit.
Also, I had been skipping some days as well. For example, I would take Xanax XR 0.5mg every two days instead of each day.

Anyways, I was at a guests house and I did not take any Xanax beforehand and I really felt uncomfortable as I felt like my head was spinning, kind of like an "Out of It" feeling, which was so intense at times, that I had to leave. This was ALWAYS the case whenever I come down off the Xanax. Apart from that feeling, I never had any kind of seizures (knock on wood).

I drank plenty of cold water thinking that this sensation would go away, sometimes it did but no luck.

Of course, by taking Xanax, it would go away because it is a withdrawal symptom, I'm sure.
What can I do in situations like these to stop my head from spinning without taking Xanax?
Because I do want to taper down and quit Xanax altogether.

Is there like some natural way like fruits, juices, tea that would at least help out on the head spinning sensations?

Well a good diet with plenty of natural nutrients won't do any harm, but if it is a withdrawal symptom I doubt decent food will relieve it much by itself. Perhaps there are some supplements which may help, but I can't advise you there as I don't believe in overloading myself with chemicals that don't give me a buzz ;)

But perhaps you are simply tapering too fast? Maybe you could up your dose slightly - just enough to negate these symptoms, then reduce by lower increments at longer intervals. I've never experienced benzo withdrawal, but the principle is the same as any other taper - slow and easy...

I was on the regular Xanax IR 1mg per day before taking the Xanax XR 0.5mg (Extended Release) which should give me 10 hours of relief for my withdrawal symptoms. But at that time, I did not have any with me to take. I would assume that taking XR 0.5mg per day would be a good start to taper off since this will NOT release the total dose all at once?

It does help with the symptoms, but it kicks in about an hour or even more.

The issue is, that when I am at home, the symptoms are not that severe as opposed to being in a public environment. I guess they would call this a "Safety Net" were one would feel safe in case they would pass out in their own home rather than passing out in public. Or, being afraid of passing out in a public place and can also effect the anxiety related symptoms from WDs.

As I mentioned here before, I always been on and off Xanax in the past, but nothing serious. No seizures. Its just the head spinning and feeling "Out of It" at times.

Try a slower taper? Also, you're likely throwing your system off by continuing to skip days and then go back on. If you want to go off you should probably either do a slow but constant taper or just quit altogether instead of yo-yoing. Also might be beneficial to get on a low dose of a longer acting benzo to kick the xanax.That way your taper is steady.

Last edited:
I had once in the past taken Librium for WDs and has worked wonders.

Just got to keep taking the XR, but my only debate is at night or in the morning?

Last edited:
Just got to keep taking the XR, but my only debate is at night or in the morning?

It shouldn't make much of a difference whether you take the Xanax XR in the morning or at night. Does it help you sleep? If so, I would take it a night. Start out taking it daily. Then you can begin a taper with every other day. However, I would run it past your doctor first to ensure that's a good plan.

Xanax has such a short half life I think taking it every other day would still put the op in the same position of him experiencing withdrawal symptoms on "off" days. Better to dose every day with a decrease in dosage imo. 1mg, .75mgs, .5 mgs, .25 mgs... Something like that. I'd consult a doctor tho if possible.

Last edited:
... I really felt uncomfortable as I felt like my head was spinning, kind of like an "Out of It" feeling, which was so intense at times, that I had to leave. This was ALWAYS the case whenever I come down off the Xanax.

Is there like some natural way like fruits, juices, tea that would at least help out on the head spinning sensations?
I get this feeling (and so do others) mostly from coming to after intermediate doses of xanax. I personally will get that "spinning" feeling but it usually goes away withing a few seconds. Not sure what it's from and has me thinking of doing more research on this.
I drink a lot of water myself; yet the "spinning/off" feeling usually goes away without any effort from me (that I know of) and a couple others that are into this that I am "close" to.
Could it be that we do not have the time to be dizzy and have lots to do and must move about at a rapid pace? IDK....

Edit: I see where some are opining that this may be a WD symptom... could be a short-term WD that is quick to show?.?.?.?... looking into it. Go figure... first thing i get is that benzos are used to combat dizziness and/or vertigo. lol

Last edited:
How long have you been taking xanax? Benzodiapephine withdrawal is deadyly, so if its been 6 months or even less, you need to taper off VERY SLOWLY by cutting tablets and going down over a two month period.

I had been taking 1mg to 1.5mg each day of Xanax IR (Immediate Release). But I ran out.
Don't think 1.5mg per day is a lot to come off from. I read people taking as much as 4 to 6mg each day at once.

So, I started taking the Extended Release Xanax (0.5mg) so I can cope with the WDs during the day and the XR half life is about 11 hours.

With the Xanax XR, I cannot go down any further as to dosage since the 0.5mg ones are the lowest dose in each tablet, and the prescribing information says that DO NOT CRUSH tablets.