View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Having trouble getting to a higher plateau

Seahawksfan714

Greenlighter
Every time I take enough dxm to trip I end up puking quickly and lose most of what I've done. Any tips to help me get to a higher dose

What is the source of the DXM op? Hopefully not by an excess OTC compound?! If it was crystalline or goo, then you may need to change the ingestion method. Dose and purity are critical as well.

You should check out the Big & Dandy DXM Thread if you haven't seen it, it has a lot of information that you may find helpful.

That said, some people are more susceptible to nausea and vomiting with DXM, but as TwistafleX implied, it does depend a lot on the source and obviously how much you take. Assuming you are buying cough medicine OTC, you should be getting a product that contains only DXM, nothing with Guaifenesin, Acetaminophen, Chlorpheniramine Maleate, etc. If you are not already aware, these drugs can not only make for unwanted side effects, some of them are very dangerous in high doses.

I've only gotten nauseous to the point of vomiting once with DXM, and that was when I took 700mg via Robogels on a nearly empty stomach. I actually still have a very intense experience that time since it wasn't until an hour or two in that I actually threw up, so it's likely that a majority of what I took was already metabolized. Syrup doesn't usually make me nauseous, just really gassy with a nasty laxative effect. I've never tried pure or extracted DXM, but my understanding is that these methods don't cause nearly as much nausea as OTC sources since there are no inactive ingredients/additives like with gels and syrup.

As to how to prevent or at least lessen the nausea, you might consider taking a low dose of Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) or Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) before you ingest the DXM, but be careful not to take too much as that could potentiate the DXM and cause undesirable effects. Smoking weed can help with nausea but this will of course cause potentiation too.

Other than drugs you could take for nausea, you may want to eat some carbs beforehand, i.e., small amounts of crackers, bread, pasta, etc. You want to make sure to eat enough that it will help with the nausea but not so much that it stops you from feeling the drug. Once you've ingested the DXM, you probably don't want to be moving around a lot and I would recommend either laying down or at least sitting up in a nice, comfortable chair.

Hope this information is useful to you :)