• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

have the tables turned?

subotai

Bluelighter
this was on the front page of Sunday's paper last week, I had almost forgotten I took a picture of it. This isn't somewhere in Colorado, or Cali, or Washington state, this is in Pennsylvania, which is notorious for being a little behind the curve on things. Couldn't help but laugh at the irony of the very thing that used to drive the arguments for BANNING Marijuana (the kiiiids), is now driving the ACCEPTANCE of Marijuana.

238jvc.jpg

I want to see like one of those African children all starved up in the next edition with a caption saying like

"If you aren't supportive of Marijuana Reform, this child WILL DIE"

Thanks for posting that subtotal. Very much appreciated. I'm following the legal and medical MJ issues in the US fanatically, and think it's fantastic how much progress has been made.

It's nice to see that as opposed to Canada where the government actively hinders medical MJ implementation and totally opposes legalization. Our citizen's initiatives/refrendum causing powers are *very* limited.

Canada's only hope for legalization (IMO) is if the next federal government is a majority Liberal party (part of their federal platform is the legalization of MJ). The next election is October, 2015. My guess is maybe spring, 2016 earliest for Canada.

Again subtotal thanks. This sort of news does not commonly show up in mainstream Canadian newspaper, radio or TV news. Around 420 we get a short lived glut of information; but very little related to medical or recreational.

Tom

it is somewhat ironic. There is some kid named jayden from my area who has epilepsy and became the campaign star of the medical movement for a while on parts of the west coast. Some girl named Charlotte also got a lot of media attention during the Colorado recreational movement.

I'm not sure why it's ironic. These kids are only sick because their endocannabinoid systems are out of whack from generations of receiving no phytocannabinoids. So now, in order that the "Silent Majority" doesn't see themselves as the murderers they are for pushing this genocidal agenda, the MSM turns the tables and makes it an imperative to open legislation in order to save these kids.

Jayden Davis and Charlotte Figi are both perfect examples of the anti-seizure properties of cannabis (which have been known to Western medicine since the 19th century, and to Indian and Chinese practitioners for over a millenia). Jayden suffers from a severe form of epilepsy which is benefitted from cannabis, and Charlotte suffers from Dravet's Syndrome, a terminal brain disorder which manifests in almost constant seizures (which have now been reduced over 90% with cannabis).

It's easier for close-minded and apprehensive folks in Pennsylvania or Utah or Missouri to see these miraculous results. Just like Sanja Gupta said when he changed his mind, as a society we're so immune to other's suffering that we can totally ignore the pleas for help from seriously ill adults, but not children.

Pennsylvania will definitely be one of the next (maybe 2016) to get a real medical program. Despite being kinda behind the curve (and some very rural areas), there are also a lot of people who would support it, and they're almost the odd man out on the east coast at this point (despite everyone's programs being slow to develop).

"Charlotte" - I think you may be confusing the name of high CBD/low THC content cannabis strain that is grown specifically for extraction of CBD/CBD-A to create an oral formulation that has almost no THC in it but is relatively high in CBD, for administration to a target population of children with seizure disorders (empirical evidence seems to be that not all seizure disorders respond equally to CBD - or at all - for some apparently it is ineffective, for others it can be highly effective*). It's named "Charlotte's Web." A search of the Denver Post will give you lots of decent info, most other media reports are taken from the DP's original reporting, so jump to the source...

CBD seems to be a very effective anti-seizure medication for a particularly nasty type of seizure disorder seen in children, it can cause hunderds of seizures a day. Some of these kids have seen a dramatic decrease in the number of seizures they experience when dosed daily with this CBD extract. It originated as an extract in CO Springs, CO. Ironically, yesterday CO Springs was reported to be the 4th most conservative major city in the US and Utah has moved to legalize the import of CBD extracts for treating seizure disorders in children - they don't want any marijuana or hemp in their state, but they're glad to allow our product to bought here and taken across state lines to give their kids - kids with a physician who prescribes it's use. It's about as silly as the state of NY allowing for medical marijuana but not in the form of anything that can be smoked. That's a case of the tables turning upside down in my opinion!

Since the OP was about the media and "tables turning", I'll comment more on what's going on here in Colorado w.r.t. the mainstream press. The Denver Post, despite being a major media outlet, continues to put out some excellent reporting on the marijuana industry and the effects/state of legalization. Their reporting is accurate and balanced judging from my work in the industry and reading how it is reported on. I have worked in a cannabis related industry (lab testing) and I feel if people from outside Colorado read about CO's experiences with cannabis legalization solely through the Post they will have balanced perspective - that's very rare in the mainstream media, ime. I encourage people to read as much material from as many sources as possible to gain insight on any issue in general, I'm just pointing out here that the Post is surprisingly balanced and accurate on this issue. They don't get it all correct, but damn they've made a serious effort to educate themselves, they even hired an editor dedicated to cannabis issues! Many stories I read / listen to from other media outlets or social media regarding CO's experiences are simply re-reports of DP articles.

I have no ties to, nor a particular love of the Post. It's a major newspaper and good for that purpose.

I want to point people interested in this issue to the recent New York Times editorials in support of legalization, see last Sunday's NYTimes editorial section, and the additional editorials published over the last week overwhelmingly supporting legalization - search nytimes.com for aug 1 - 8, 2014, to find those editorials.

The NYTimes arguably being the most respected and widely read of all newspapers it is HUGE that they endorsed federal level decriminalization and state level "local" control of future marijuana industries. I never thought I'd live to see this day. When the NYTimes publishes several major editorials it gets the attention of a lot of powerful, influential people making it easier for those in power to "flip" on the issue (and turn more tables.) This provides politicians and others who have previously opposed cannabis legalization "cover" to change their stance without appearing to be "flip-flopper" politician's, the type Americans proclaim to dislike very much. This is all part of the "tables turning"!

Unfortunately, this is a very politically involved issue, as much as we may want things to just change and the world to adopt something similar to CO's system for legalization it will happen much more slowly without the mainstream media supporting it. So.. good for the Times and the Denver Post. And none of this is to say we got it perfect here, we didn't. There's a lot of issues still to be worked out and for sure not everyone in support of legalization is happy.

Nonetheless, you can grow your own or buy from a retail outlet if you're over 21 and there are hundreds of places to buy cannabis products, albeit if you're in a conservative part of the state you may have a long drive to an area where there are retail outlets - it's like the early days of beverage alcohol de-criminalization in 1930s America. At least in-state residents can buy an ounce at a time, a car full of people can easily grab a QP and some clones and take them back home legally! Contrast this to a year ago and I'd say we have a strong model for successful implementation of retail recreation cannabis in US states.

My major complaints are with the taxes (too high) and local control of retail outlets. I feel the amendment we voted for should not have allowed municipalities to "opt-out" of retail sales, but the referendum that created the amendment may not have passed otherwise, so this was an issue with the voter initiative and not a result of decisions made by regulators during implementation. In time, as the OP stated 'tables' are 'turning', all tables are not turning yet... and it may take a century or more - after all we still have pockets of "dry" areas in the US where alcohol is not sold.

*As we all know we need well designed, validated and properly executed clinical studies to document and quantify the pharmacological effects reported by the super-excited parents of the children for whom this medication has become a life changer. It's granted gradual, or in at least a few cases instant relief from constant seizures (10 - 50 seizures/day for some). It is a miracle to a handful of very severely affected children, and thousands more are waiting for access to it, in part b/c production has been limited and availability is limited to residents of CO only (exactly how those Utah kids are to get the medication is beyond me, transfer of medical cannabis products to others is prohibited - I guess their parents will drive here and buy it at rec outlets.)

I don't use the term miracle lightly, but after hearing these parents speak about their experiences on Colorado Public Radio and at the state capitol building it sure sounds like the closest thing to a miracle I've been near in my lifetime.

"Charlotte" - I think you may be confusing the name of high CBD/low THC content cannabis strain that is grown specifically for extraction of CBD/CBD-A to create an oral formulation that has almost no THC in it but is relatively high in CBD, for administration to a target population of children with seizure disorders (empirical evidence seems to be that not all seizure disorders respond equally to CBD - or at all - for some apparently it is ineffective, for others it can be highly effective*). It's named "Charlotte's Web." A search of the Denver Post will give you lots of decent info, most other media reports are taken from the DP's original reporting, so jump to the source...

not confusing, that's the one. It was created by a strain of growers for the purpose you mentioned, but with a specific girl named Charlotte which is why it's called Charlotte's Webb, and that's from the creators of the strain.

I don't mean this to undermine the serious medical use, but the way in which the political battle is being fought is somewhat ironic. The war against drugs is fought largely in name of 'our children', and much of the pro-medicinal cannabis arguments involve children.

In reality I'm sure we all want what is best for the children, and let's face it- the government is going to find a way to profit off of either scenario, or drag it's feet until it does find a way. I think much of the push for legalization now comes from the desire to tap into this new cash cow. The industry is already well established- networks of supply, distribution, and retailers. Prisons are overflowing and with it's gaining public popularity it is becoming increasingly hard to lock people up over marijuana crimes. At this point you could say the war against marijuana or cannabis has been lost, and government has the choice of either continuing to look the other way or to find a way to regulate and tax it like it does with every other industry.

As long as there are fewer people going to jail for ridiculous crimes it is an improvement. Hopefully the weed market won't look like the tobacco market in 25 years though.