• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Have opiates ever been prescribed for anything other than pain?

kingkpin

Bluelighter
Recently I noticed that norco goes incredibly well with my vyvanse prescription, much better than xanax or klonopin ever did. I don't experience distorted perception or memory loss, I just feel very content and happy. Is there any cases of doctors prescribing opiates for anything other than severe pain? Such as anxiety, adhd, insomnia, ect

Yep! Before modern antidepressants were discovered, opiates were sometimes prescribed for depression and other mental disorders. And they're still prescribed as cough suppressants, anesthesia meds & anti-diarrheal agents for severe IBS and IBD. Heroin was once thought to be a miracle cure for cocaine and morphine addiction. (Most modern drugs of abuse were once considered miraculous and prescribed for everything under the sun).

There's an opiate antidepressant in the pipeline as we speak: ALKS-5461. It contains buprenorphine and an opioid blocker, making it similar to Suboxone. Here's a study on oxycodone and oxymorphone for refractory depression.

Would today's typical psych doc prescribe opiates for a mental illness? 99 times out of 100, the answer is hell no. And with good reason: addiction makes your problems infinitely worse.

off label use of "opiates" has been used mostly for curbing diarrhea.
as for it's use in mood elevating treatment, I can certainly see where you are coming from, but IME and from what I have studied, the use of opiates for mental illness is not a good idea for obvious reasons as well as scientific ones.

I do understand and relate to your query, but in the long run it would cause more harm than relief if one attempts to use these meds for psych issues.
I have no doubt about this and honestly wish they were the answer, but they are not.

SL

i actually used to get prescribed hydrocodone for my cough... i'm allergic to codeine and can't take cough syrup with codeine but i got hydros prescribed for that for a while... now i get it for back pain due to scoliosis. i've never seen it prescribed for anything mental health related though.

Last edited:
In low doses codeine can be a very successful couph suppressent, indeed.
In my previous post I was reffereing to opiates and not a mixture of opiates and antihistamines, which do have a positive effect on bronchial issues.

But opiates on there own, from my expereince and knowledge are used for pain, and in very rare case curbing diarrhea.

SL

Yep! Before modern antidepressants were discovered, opiates were sometimes prescribed for depression and other mental disorders. And they're still prescribed as cough suppressants, anesthesia meds & anti-diarrheal agents for severe IBS and IBD. Heroin was once thought to be a miracle cure for cocaine and morphine addiction. (Most modern drugs of abuse were once considered miraculous and prescribed for everything under the sun).

There's an opiate antidepressant in the pipeline as we speak: ALKS-5461. It contains buprenorphine and an opioid blocker, making it similar to Suboxone. Here's a study on oxycodone and oxymorphone for refractory depression.

Would today's typical psych doc prescribe opiates for a mental illness? 99 times out of 100, the answer is hell no. And with good reason: addiction makes your problems infinitely worse.

The blocker in the opiate antidepressant is different, in that it does not block that kappa-receptor, but it completely blocks just the mu-receptor. So this medication would actually block ALL euphoria from the bupe. But it should leave the antidepressant qualities intact.

Be easy taking the opies with stims dude. I took some addies yesterday after my morning opies and the shit through me into minor wd until I woke up this morning, shit combo IMO. Some here swear by it but idk, were all different I guess.
You guys getting euphoria from subs are some lucky duckies! I get nothing but depressed mood and constant cravings.
I've heard of tramadol being prescribed for depression in very select , treatment resistant major depression. Not sure how great that would work, bring on the brain zaps!!! Lol.

In this age of political correctness, you'd have better luck getting engaged to miley cyrus...not that you'd want to!

My mother has SEVERE chronic diarheaa and she get's less Norco/month than I do for arthritis....she's a senior citizen who also has arthritis, and takes tramadol for that.

Needless to say OPIOPHOBIA is rampant in 2015 in America...Probably because of people like you, OP, who go to your doctor looking for a goddamn pharmaceutical speedball. If your gonna settle for the second best your whole life, might as well just say "FUCK IT"

Be easy taking the opies with stims dude. I took some addies yesterday after my morning opies and the shit through me into minor wd until I woke up this morning, shit combo IMO. Some here swear by it but idk, were all different I guess.
You guys getting euphoria from subs are some lucky duckies! I get nothing but depressed mood and constant cravings.
I've heard of tramadol being prescribed for depression in very select , treatment resistant major depression. Not sure how great that would work, bring on the brain zaps!!! Lol.

That's horseshit bro, what kinda genius takes Adderall AFTER opiates....that's where you fucked up....Stimulants ALWAYS BEFORE OPIATES...ALWAYS!!!
Anybody that tells you otherwise is a goddamned ignorant fuckhead..FACT.
Amphetamine about 2.5 hours before then dose normal FULL AGONIST dose, and you'll be golden for hours....haven't done it in years but I've been craving a good speedball lately..

That's horseshit bro, what kinda genius takes Adderall AFTER opiates....that's where you fucked up....Stimulants ALWAYS BEFORE OPIATES...ALWAYS!!!
Anybody that tells you otherwise is a goddamned ignorant fuckhead..FACT.
Amphetamine about 2.5 hours before then dose normal FULL AGONIST dose, and you'll be golden for hours....haven't done it in years but I've been craving a good speedball lately..
Yeah man it was a tough day, I was little low on bags that day and I thought I had to work so I said fuck it and popped them, figured even if the rain didn't let up and I didn't end up working I could at least pass some time with the Addies u know? I've never been a big stim guy so I didn't know that I should've dosed the Addies first, errrr live and learn I guess. I'm a bit traumatized by that incident so I'm all set with the stims for a good long while I guess. Thx for the info though bro, it's appreciated! Great post in the pm thread btw, u hit the mail on the head my man! Take it easy brother!

in rare cases, medication resistant depression, RLS, diarrhea, other GI conditions like IBS.

I believe they phased out the practice in the 1950's. It wasn't for another (about) twenty years before doctors stopped routinely prescribing stimulants for depression; they still do occasionally (mostly to elder citizens), but it's far from normal.

Opiates were being abused too much. But nowadays, as someone else said, there is some renewed interest. While it would be ludicrous to suggest that most psychiatrists feel comfortable with the practice, tramadol and buprenorphine are sometimes used if all else fails.

In sum, there are much more effective, less addictive agents for psychiatric conditions. If one has the endurance to try a couple different medicines, usually something (non-addictive) is found that works.

in 2000, i was prescribed opiates for a heroin addiction... by my shrink. first got demerol, then alternated between methadone and morphine for more than a year. the good old days lol.

I think the wiki article on oxycodone mentions prescriptions for depression...

It does Kid Amine, or at least it did at one point, I've read the same.

No wonder Oxycodone is good for depression lol. But I can confirm by having experimenting it first hand. However as everyone points out, addiction makes this far worse to be a viable option.

opiates and stimulants go hand in hand imo, would say not the best for ur heart though.

I don't do pain pills, but I do kratom, which is opiate like for its mood enhancing qualities. I would imagine pain pills offer the same mood enhancement. Works a lot better and faster, once a day than my effexor. Which, by the way is over $200 without insurance!!!! Got it for $22 using GoodRX (can I post that since it doesn't have to do with the pills we are talking about and is an actual antidepressant that many can't afford and pharmacies won't tell youabout that?)

Believe it or not, Bayer came out with pharmaceutical Heroin and Aspirin at the same time. The same guy is credited for creating both (in reality he created heroine standing on some Frenchman'so shoulders). Heroine was prescribed, as a non-addictive cough suppressant. Oxycodone was also once labeled as non-addictive. As opiates are a natural respiratory suppressant, they are sometimes added to other cough medicines, but to answer your question, no. The FDA has gone mad over the past few years. They govern doctors with an iron fist, and the docs bow down in submission.