European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Misc Hash oil in 1990s UK?

kaosisallwesee

Bluelighter
I was recently chatting to an older friend who was shitting all over modern extracts compared to the hash oil they'd get in the 1980s-1990s in the UK. They said it was extremely dark brown, almost black, with the consistency of treacle. A tiny dab would apparebtly fuck you up and it tasted amazing.
Any older BLers remember this? I'm curious because I can't understand how they got the potency and flavour when it appears to be low quality iso oil that's been left to soak for a week rather than a few mins lol.
The only thing I can think of is if they were turning high quality hash into said high quality oil, but that almost seems pointless...

Am I blind or is there no cannabis prefix?

I remember getting brilliant hash oil in the 80s a tenner a gram just as you described. I was in Jersey for some time and it was the preferred dope as the laws over there are very strict so when importing it was all about volume/cost.we woud put about a match heads amount wiped on a rizla -

My (rather hazy) memory of hash oil from that period is of a greeny-black oil which was certainly much thinner than treacle - I remember that point quite well as it was never thick enough to hot-knife (which was how we would have liked to consume it) so we had to resort to smearing it onto the skins of spliffs etc

I would also heavily disagree with the notion that it was better than modern day oil preparations - imo/ime the modern shatters/wax's/live resins etc are in a completely different league quality-wise to 80's/90's oils

That's exactly what I thought, it couldn't have be better quality that modern extracts. From reading a bit it sounds like it was hash that was dissolved in alcohol, filtered and evaporated resulting in oil. This would explain why it seemed to be potent and tasty while still looking like low quality iso. I assume a lot of it is older smokers remembering this to be better than they were. Similar to how a lot of old smokers claim weed in 1970s America was better than anything you'd find these days. Which I just can't imagine is true.

Heh, I remember hash oil in the 80s very well. As Blondin said, it was a tenner a g which was relatively expensive because you could get an eighth of good hash for 12 - 15 quid (in fact, in the early 80s, red Lebenese was 12 - 14 quid a quarter).

But the oil was fuckin potent. I've no idea how it compares to modern day concentrates because I have no source for them.

Though tbh, it was a fuckin pain in the arse trying to spread it on a rizla (we didn't have fancy pipes in them days) - half of it ended up stuck to your fingers and it was impossible trying to get it all out of the container - usually a straw or a pill blister pack. Probably why it fell out of favour during the 90s when domestic weed production started to replace the hash market.

Last edited: