• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives Has there ever been a psychonaut scientist that throroughly studied the N2O headspace?

psilocybonaut

Bluelighter
I'm wondering if any academic/psychonaut has delved deep into the nitrous oxide headspace (high dose with no oxygen dep/fishing out) and written extensively about it?

It seems like there could be something there, even if very hard to bring back to sober thought.

If anyone could share any literature that'd be great.

Just defining thoroughly is very hard when talking about mental effects of any drug, more so when talking about psychedelics or dissos.

And there’s a lot of cases of what can be fairly called very deep and long exploration of some substance where different persons have totally different experience, conclusions and ideas coming from exploring same substances. Coming to definite conclusions that are valid for everyone, when it comes to mental aspects, is next to impossible with mind alerting substances.

Every time someone mentions Nitrous Oxide I think of the Buzzing sound that comes with the high.

really? I need to try that.. seems super detaching, like you're in the clouds or something, it reminds me the most ambient-like music of Merzbow, one of my favourite avantgarde artists...

Every time someone mentions Nitrous Oxide I think of the Buzzing sound that comes with the high.

That's quite close to what it sounds like, but also a bit like cricket noise or some type of bicycle dynamo. Also check out this video and the repeating noise in the beginning. Other inhalants also tend to cause this effect, and the same strange deja vu feeling too, but they are too unhealthy to recommend to anyone. Unless it's some actual medical anesthetic like isoflurane. Actually, it would be really interesting to test how different the subjective effects of R and S stereoisomers of isoflurane are when used as an intoxicant. Or the stereoisomers of 2-butanol or 2-pentanol, but they are more likely to cause ethanol-type drunkenness without hallucinations.

The Atmosphere of Heaven, written by Mike Jay, is basically about the history of nitrous oxide. I've only read a bit and he writes beautifully so could be worth a look.