• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Has legalization made your life less stressful?

losthippy

Bluelighter
Has access to legal cannabis products in your area been soured by conditions imposed by the State and/or employers? I'm hearing about intrusions impacting things like your conditions of employment, ownership of firearms, fitness to make 'informed' legal decisions etc. should you dare to use. Grumbles also about the quality and consistency of product from some licensed vendors, but I guess that's a separate matter. No doubt, more people will be satisfied than not just being able to duck down to the dispensary when they feel like it, but has this freedom measured up to your overall expectations? Readers in countries still kicking the can on decriminalization/legalization could learn a lot about how 'the creep' has taken some of the shine off what you won, and how the processes used to begin the rot found traction. Cheers

Sure, it causes some BS on some job markets and whatnot but paying close to 300usd to get "certified", file at the healt dept and other fees... it keeps me from paying the exorbitant prices of being held for ransom in the town jail. Not to mention the extra charges on record, and the court costs and fees.
It's still a bunch of BS IMO but whattaya do? Quit? May be my next dropped "habit"....

I am between employment status, and a grandparent so no effects there, as to how I raise my kids, or how I do my job.
So much less stressful as I have easy access and no fear of accusation, or legal reprisal for having it.

Warning to young parents with potential marital issues, Weed can be as legally contentious as Drinking, when it comes to custody battles or other family strife.

Medically retired, think owning firearms is a mental aberration anyways so yea, I would have to say that having access to legal cannabis has made my life 100% less stressful. Even when I was still working, I disclosed my medical cannabis use to my union and human resources department. no issues.

Tom

Last edited:
has this freedom measured up to your overall expectations?
We are still in the infancy stages.

Legalization is just the beginning to the end of prohibition. Things like jobs and social justice are put on the back burner. It may take decades. And my state isn't even legal yet.

Less stress in many senses. No need to meet up with a buddy on Fridays after work. Sotting down over a beer and figuring out person by person who might have dope. Before cell phones we wasted a lot of quarters. We’d get ‘I’ve only got 4 quarter's left’ or ‘other guys are coming to buy some’ and of course ‘this is a mew strain ? Cost more’. I never liked dealing with an uncertain market but that is what illegal status gives you. Prohibition.

Now, the only weed store in town of 7,500 I live close to is a government weed store. But that’s OK b/c it is side by side with a grocery store. So yeah, lots less stress. I also don’t worry about walking around with cannabis products or having them legally stored in a vehicle.

Other province I lived in had same day, 2 hour window courier service

For me, the normalization of something that I have been consuming most of my life is the best.

Tom

Australia has preached a persistent anti-drugs message for decades at State and Federal levels. Nasty but nebulous penalties for defiance were woven in along the way to compliment counselling, fines and/or jail. Job security, child welfare matters and the right to drive are among a long list of legal reprisals that can cruel one's life if Cannabis or any other illicit drug use is concerned. And it seems to have worked and failed at the same time. For some its become just too hard to keep taking risks for illicit pleasure and keeping secrets from the straight people in their lives. Times have changed. Its a buzzkill with real stigma and life-changing consequences for anyone getting involved. More than the fun police just trashing your party.

Conversely, lack of progress on recreational Cannabis use has also made people all over more determined to do it anyway and try to stay a step in front. We know what we want and do it very well, but only because we've had to. Access to medicinal Cannabis through legal channels is making headway but is still cumbersome and weighed down with provisos and red tape. The black market is booming and there is growing demand for edibles and tinctures as well as CBD products. The potential revenue stream in this country is enormous and while the Govt. drags its heels they see none of it directly. They cop a skim via a GST levied on everything we buy anyhow, and a steady trickle of fines and proceeds of crime seizures - still nothing compared to what a regulated market would generate if they had the sac to open the other eye and step up.

I reckon Australians would be stoked if we woke up to Cannabis dispensaries in every suburb and online orders delivered to our doors. I don't even think we'd whinge too much about quality or consistency as long as the prices stayed real and all the penalties for enjoying it were gone. Sadly, even with the tiny concessions made recently in our nation's capital decriminalizing personal possession of small amounts, the way forward for the rest of us remains bogged down in the politics of it all. And, being an impatient mob in the face of dogged resistance, odds are that we'll continue looking after our own needs and damn the torpedoes.

Last edited:
Yes without a doubt. I’d probably have died from chemo if there wasn’t high quality cannabis just down the street from me plus every other cannabis product imaginable.

Not all states are the same, but a couple really have it figured out.

—GC

So much less stressful as I have easy access and no fear of accusation, or legal reprisal for having it.

I use to give my nephew or Godson $300 for a bag of weed. I would have to wait find him, chase him down. Now all I do is send a text for the strain I want and it gets mailed to me either that day or the next. Only spend 45 years chasing weed around in a stupid way.

Soon NY and NJ will have some store fronts. But I notice there is no shyness of having people mail you some stuff in the meantime.

In Canada, Ontario when I go, we go the the reservaftions and get stuff for 1/3 of the price of a store front.

Our area is still doing the wink wink nudge nudge gifting, but it’s been hella convenient to get deliveries and immensely less stressful for me. (The gifter I’m using now is even ON TIME lol) I’d say 90% of the paranoia I used to get from weed is gone now, it’s just chill
And legal and whatever . Such a boon to my mental health. Now just for these damn prices to come down to below atmosphere

I was a medical grower before it was ever legal. I was forced to put my name on a government list just as all medical patients who grow are required to do. That was weird.

When it became recreational legal, I stopped paying the extra fees for medical and continued growing just as normal and more legal than before. So not only was it cheaper but I didn't have to continue to put my name on some weird government list.

Oh yeah, and not getting arrested is pretty cool too. I hated jail.

Legalization allowed me to not hide my medical use. There isnt really less stress since i never tried to hide my recreational or medical use before legalization, except to new employers. Now even when im writing up a new contract i am 100% open about my marijuana use. None of my employers have denied me work due to marijuana use.

I am more likely to be denied work because ive not bothered to get covid shots, since ive had covid and im immune.

We wake up humanity on one side and the rest fall asleep on the other.

Having to be deceptive about Cannabis or any other recreational drug use is a part of life in Australia. Prohibition has been thorough and methodical so people tend to spruik little about what they grow or consume to not draw attention to themselves. This is bad enough, but there are definite cons in declaring your Cannabis use, especially when it comes to employment. Most employers ask the question directly at screening to assess your fitness for a job and will pass you over every time in favour of someone who could pass a piss test. From a business perspective this is just common sense. Medicinal Cannabis is likely less problematic, but since it is still so rare here that claim has yet to be tested. Nonetheless, living a lie day-in and day-out is a stress we have to live with.

I have a state issued card but the dispensary is eighty fucking miles, so I have to either go to a friend's house, or buy rec which has a fifteen to thirty % tax .. which sucks