• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Has anyone quit taking pain medication before starting back up to reduce tolerance?

xxsicknessxx

Bluelighter
When I asked my doctor for a increase in pain medication a year ago I was told to make what I have work and to consider quitting for a month. Has anyone done this? Did it help? I either have nerve problems that make things hurt more ATM or maybe my doctor's right and I'm just used to pain medication... I've been told this before but I've never quit just to reduce tolerance and I dunno it's it just something my doctor said to shut me up or would it help? I have a sugary coming up and I wonder if I should consider doing this before that time or maybe use my month off to recover to do it..

Would two weeks help quitting pain meds. I dunno if I should tell the doctor and do it or do it on my own saving up extra pills by not taking any.. also I dunno I have a hard time excepting pain and while I can follow my pills 4 a day suddenly the last week I've been sleeping bad I'm in pain all the time from working out 3 times a week but my arms are also tired from tossing and turning. I use a heavy pillow and sometimes I can't flip it over my arms so much.

Thing is I've been seriously taking care of my self this last year and im worried. On last five years I spent a year in a hospital bed so maybe I'm still recovering from the muscle lost and that's why I'm so tired but I have a coffee medical issues that are unknown from Low blood sugar, terrible time sleeping, can't stay awake past five pm I feel asleep at five . Well I lay in bed kinda sleeping because I don't even have juice to watch tv, nerve damage, nuropathy... I dunno I also don't have a car yet I'm buying one this year so I dunno I'm rambling. I just dunno what to do I have no way to go to doctors as much as I want and maybe once I can that'll fix everything but about quitting pain medication to reduce tolerance or to reset my limits maybe because ATM I need a extra pill a day right now unlike two weeks ago I felt great taking three. Thanks.

It will definitely reduce tolerance but depending on how long you've been on them it may not reduce tolerance for long. Your doc probably said it because of harassment and fear from government agencies about losing their license due to prescribing opiates. Or he could be trying to avoid prescribing you pain medication indefinitely, but that's purely speculative

I'm not sure what you're expected to do for pain while you're taking your month break, but taking a break will 100% reduce your tolerance in the short term

You might want to read up about the relationship of dissociatives (NMDA antagonists when talking with professionals) and opioid tolerance. This is possibly more effective than abstaining some painful days to get a short lived tolerance break. With dissos you get the reduction while ON the opioid and even if not, they are powerful painkillers on their own. Ive stopped 600mg morphine / day with pregabalin and memantine, no withdrawal to speak of. Imo the reason why this remains little known is disbelief (not that we hadnt enough papers and case studies) and the thought concept that "junkies" had to suffer. Fuck even here its hard to convince people.