• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Has anyone here read the book "Roxy"? By Neal Shusterman

underairpressure

Greenlighter
I saw this in a bookstore a while back and have been curious about it ever since. I'm gonna be real, when I read the summary, it made me worried that it was going to be........ not sure how to phrase it. "Cringe"? Very obviously written by someone who has never been involved with drugs?

Stories that try and anthropomorphize concepts/things like depression, addiction, eating disorders, drugs, etc, almost always give me second-hand embarrassment. Does Shusterman make it work in this book......? Is it any good? I'm curious but don't want to waste my money if it's horribly written, or preachy.

I did, and I liked it.
It fun to read, and I like they way the different drugs become characters. So in the end it's more about those dug characters, their relationshis and a bet between them. The users, a pair of siblings, are the collateral damage of this bet and more of a side story.

It's hard for me to find books I like, so the fact I read this one beginning to end says something for it.

I did, and I liked it.
It fun to read, and I like they way the different drugs become characters. So in the end it's more about those dug characters, their relationshis and a bet between them. The users, a pair of siblings, are the collateral damage of this bet and more of a side story.

It's hard for me to find books I like, so the fact I read this one beginning to end says something for it.

! Good to know....... maybe I'll check it out then

I saw this in a bookstore a while back and have been curious about it ever since. I'm gonna be real, when I read the summary, it made me worried that it was going to be........ not sure how to phrase it. "Cringe"? Very obviously written by someone who has never been involved with drugs?

Stories that try and anthropomorphize concepts/things like depression, addiction, eating disorders, drugs, etc, almost always give me second-hand embarrassment. Does Shusterman make it work in this book......? Is it any good? I'm curious but don't want to waste my money if it's horribly written, or preachy.
Sounds familiar 🧐