• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Harvest @ amber trichs, why?

RedRum OG

Bluelighter
So the standard consensus seems to be to harvest when most of the trichomes are amber. It is said that after this, the good chemicals will degrade into things not as fun. Thing is, that doesnt make much sense to me. I dont see why things would degrade any faster than just sitting in a jar, unless the plant is pushing out enzymes/catalysts to further chemically change THC etc.

I feel like this is one of those things that was accepted because the experts say so without enough hard evidence. Have people really harvested at clear trichs, amber trichs, and ~2 weeks PAST amber trichs, to super amber, and then compared the chemical profile of cannabinoids? I've never seen it. Maybe clear trichs really have the best. Maybe pushing past amber would make it best.

Please dont comment things like "I've smoked it both ways, I know." Or "all the experts do it this way, clearly it's right." I'm looking for purely objective facts. I dont care about anecdotal stories under the influence of bias/placebo effect

Tl;dr, prove to me that:

1)cannabis pushes out catalysts/enzymes after a certain point in flowering that degrade THC and the like.

2) amber trichomes are actually the most potent cannabinoid profile

Last edited:
I have actually tested this out over years of growing, sometimes accidentally. I don’t judge based on trich’s alone though, hairs and trichs since each strain is different and will vary. Some strains have clearer or more amber trichromes depending..

But yea, picked earlier with very clear trichs and/or some white immature hairs remaining, the bud will be too light in high. Great for day time but kinda leaves something to be desired.

I’ve let bud go on the plant living til it’s very death when the buds go dry and brown. This is like a straight sleeping pill. First time I smoked some I was out like a light for 3 hours (purple widow, which usually doesn’t do that). Must be the high CBN content. Wasn’t good for much else.

-GC

Most people will pass out when you give them a massive dose of THC, while a lighter dose may seem stimulating. It's possible your very old weed was just very high d9THC. I think this effect is subjective, it doesnt objectively narrow down much about what changes in amber trichs, but I appreciate your contribution

There's an israeli guy who tried to examine this almost a decade ago or something, there's some papers about it floating around, iirc he came to the conclusion it was evidence of CBN being present. He stuck tiny needles in trichomes for years on end trying to extract just the amber, lol.

Then there's a cobbing thread on icmag, the practice of rolling your still moist weed into thai sticks and I guarantee you all that stuff goes amber that way, practically everything. If I also remember correctly there was someone who had his stuff tested a couple years ago and there was no significant amount of CBN present, at least not enough to explain all trichomes turning amber. Take it all with a grain of salt.

It's usually a sign of deterioration/oxidation going on in any case. Rub your hands along a bud and you'll be bound to have a lot of trichs go amber in that one spot. What it is exactly, personally I suspect a lot more than just THC degrading into CBN, terps amongst other things for example.

i haven't heard of anyone waiting to amber myself, mostly just waiting for them to go from clear to milky

There's an israeli guy who tried to examine this almost a decade ago or something, there's some papers about it floating around, iirc he came to the conclusion it was evidence of CBN being present. He stuck tiny needles in trichomes for years on end trying to extract just the amber, lol.

Then there's a cobbing thread on icmag, the practice of rolling your still moist weed into thai sticks and I guarantee you all that stuff goes amber that way, practically everything. If I also remember correctly there was someone who had his stuff tested a couple years ago and there was no significant amount of CBN present, at least not enough to explain all trichomes turning amber. Take it all with a grain of salt.

It's usually a sign of deterioration/oxidation going on in any case. Rub your hands along a bud and you'll be bound to have a lot of trichs go amber in that one spot. What it is exactly, personally I suspect a lot more than just THC degrading into CBN, terps amongst other things for example.

I love that you know the malawi cob thread. I love that method. It also seems to be the (anecdotal) consensus that it makes the weed stronger, both in flavor and effects, so if anything, that just makes me more curious

Do not give yourself a sudden dose of THC. This psychoactive element can lead to vertigo or some dizziness and other symptoms so start with something lighter or even get a balanced THC: CBD ratio. If unsure, begin with medical marijuana just because the ratio of THC is adjusted to normalcy so you do not have to worry much. Really, delta 9 is not a very pleasant thing for the first encounter.-Trichomes are found in Cannabis ' flowers', leaves, and even stems.-There are 3 main types of trichomes, most common is "capitate stalked trichome".-Cannabis plants should be harvested when trichomes are milky or at least when the upper formation of amber appears.-Amber trichomes have a more powerful sedation element due to greater cannabinol deposition. So the higher level of THC can cause giddiness, dry mouth, nausea and hyperamesis. Just the unfortunate bit that milky part of plant is small and I believe it is hard to procure too