• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Hallucinatory voices told a woman of her brain tumor, diagnosed and reassured her, after it was surgically removed the voices bid her farewell

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member
I found this to be particularly interesting and fun read. Reminds me somewhat of the lore of Edgar Cayce. Enjoy.

"when she recovered consciousness after the operation the voices told her, “We are pleased to have helped you. Goodbye.” There were no postoperative complications. [...] Antipsychotic medication was discontinued immediately after the operation, and there was no return of the hallucinatory voices or the delusions which she had expressed."

"this is the first and only instance I have come across in which hallucinatory voices sought to reassure the patient of their genuine interest in her welfare, offered her a specific diagnosis (there were no clinical signs that would have alerted anyone to the tumour), directed her to the type of hospital best equipped to deal with her problem, expressed pleasure that she had at last received the treatment they desired for her, bid her farewell, and thereafter disappeared."

Last edited:
That it's pretty interesting.
maybe the "voices" of psychotics are that same part of the brain going "mad"? like behaving like they shouldn't?
and this tumor helped to develop that part of her brain, like for example, an old part of the brain that helped us in the past but not now....??

wow, that would be amazing.

That it's pretty interesting.
maybe the "voices" of psychotics are that same part of the brain going "mad"? like behaving like they shouldn't?
and this tumor helped to develop that part of her brain, like for example, an old part of the brain that helped us in the past but not now....??

wow, that would be amazing.
Right...

*takes huge bong hit*

What if our brains exist in their own semi conscious state, somewhere between waking consciousness and non conscious biochemical processes. Like how a network of mycelium network can send electical signals, or how plants talk to each other via chemical processes.

Like how a network of mycelium network can send electical signals, or how plants talk to each other via chemical processes.
sadly we are to smart to figure that we as human have all within to do whatever. choice. cant stop it. lol
there is imo/e a way to communicate with the senses we have and may at some point (hope it aint AI for gods sake). lol
we can commumicta it is just so fuckin huge.
time for meds

I find the medical reliability of this story easily questionable, but entertain it's possibility.

I've had my own voices, but they've always been random, chaotic, nonsensical in nature. Seemingly products of a consciousness with faulty parameters.

Edgar Cayce comes to mind, but such prophets are easily doubtable as coincidence, particularly since we haven't seen any modern varieties.

I like to keep an open mind, though. I trustily believe in modern science but also readily recognize our lack of understanding of such things as consciousness or the workings of the brain.

Right...

*takes huge bong hit*

What if our brains exist in their own semi conscious state, somewhere between waking consciousness and non conscious biochemical processes. Like how a network of mycelium network can send electical signals, or how plants talk to each other via chemical processes.
that also sounds great
I'm not very drugged at the moment, just kratom, huperzine and 2-fma (finishing my master's thesis) but that thoughts are really inspiring, to be honest!

best with that and congrats beforehand
stick around if you please to share experience(s).
always
p
I commented about 2-fma, some minutes ago,
it's pure shit to be honest, it works, but it fucks up my blood sugar and it's totally non-euphoric,
I only work well with euphoric stimulants, I guess it's the adhd...

thanks man... I'm doing my best, but I'm on countdown, I have 3/4 of it but only have 7 days left to finish, I hate deadlines, but adhd-ers tend to work well only under pressure, it's a shit to be honest but I got "used" to it, someway

I feel like people know when they are sick (and even animals). The immune system ramping up (either to fight an infection or reacting to a rumor) will certainly leave quite a few inflammatory cytokines in its wake. It certainly wouldn't surprise me that somebody prone to hearing voices (ie percieving thoughts as external) could have these turned into voices.

It could also be bullshit or even random chance.

I feel like people know when they are sick (and even animals). The immune system ramping up (either to fight an infection or reacting to a rumor) will certainly leave quite a few inflammatory cytokines in its wake. It certainly wouldn't surprise me that somebody prone to hearing voices (ie percieving thoughts as external) could have these turned into voices.
It's possible human level consciousness distracts us from normal biochemical signaling to the consciousness other animals benefit from. Why listen to that tiny subconscious feeling when we'd rather listen to our car radio?

Cats or dogs whom can recognize future death in humans, or the magnetic variations in the seconds before an earthquake, or various other very subtle senses that can be perceived by them... seems simple or magic to us... maybe we lost this abilty?

Even with all that, I'm very skeptical of this story since it is seemingly unique and unexplainable. Still fun to imagine, I suppose.

I think higher human consciousness has downsides we hardly even realize. We're also very very early in an evolutionary stage, right? Even if we've been around for 300,000 years that's still a very young species. Not to mention our technological and societal growth is probably 100 million times faster than nornal genetic adaptation.

Seems like an entirely reasonable thing to happen. A brain tumour leads to psychological disturbance, as they are wont to do. The psychological disturbance manifests as schizophrenia-like symptoms. Cancer generally is one of the things people are most commonly paranoid about, so that becomes the fixation of the "delusion". This leads to the check-up, which leads to the discovery of the tumour. It's surprising it doesn't happen all the time.