Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Hallucinations and mental health

aspie

Greenlighter
Hey there

First time poster here. I shall try and remain diligent to the forum rules but please correct me if i'm out of line.

I am starting to become unnerved by my reaction to mdma as it strikes me as unusual and i was wondering whether reactions to certain drugs have any known implications about mental health or susceptibility to psychosis?
I have a very overactive imagination normally. My aunt and uncle on my mothers side have suffered from psychotic episodes and at least one of them is diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic.
I usually dose around 300mg of mdma throughout a night. i have a typical come up period but as i plateau, things start to become very strange. I'm not sure whether these effects are typical of a mild trip or perhaps something i should be worried about:

First of all i start to recognise others as people i know even though they aren't that person. It starts off mild but can get to the point where i recognise almost every male/female of approximately similar height as the same person.
Usually I start to see facial distortions around this point but so incredibly vivd that it scares me. I see people who's faces consist of intricate face paintings and discolouration at best and at worst their faces become someone else or worse still, staring at me ominously and warping similar to the way 'aphex twin' does on his albums.
I see people and objects who aren't there. some objects look like they've had paint thrown over them or polkadots or as if im viewing them on a dusty vhs. They're not fleeting and I can go up to them and touch them and i dont consider that they arent real.
At its peak my mind wanders completely. I can never remember these instances but my friends and girlfriend have told me numerous times I've been stood with them talking as if we were somewhere else entirely for example at home cooking or on holiday.

I understand that mdma can cause mild trips and im not saying i dont enjoy it no matter how strange. I feel like there is much to be learnt within ones own mind, I'm just concerned about the intensity. Everyone looks at me like im nuts when i tell them and they've been taking the same stuff as me.

I want to experiment with more psychedelics as i do gain a sense of enlightenment and serenity about the world from all experiences but my reaction to mdma makes me think twice about delving in deeper.

Does anyone else react in a similar way?

Classic symptoms for 300 mg's of MDMA for me... and I'm not at all sensitive to it. Take a smaller dose...

Yeah that's pretty common. I for one am very susceptible to this. I always hallucinate when dosing +150mg. This only happens when I smoke weed combined with the MDMA though, it seems to GREATLY amplify these effects. I have to say though I enjoy the hallucinations very much as I've gotten used to them. The state of confusion you are referring to I always have too, when I'm starting to come down for about 30mins to 1h I can't grasp even the simplest of concepts. My hallucinations are a bit more intense than yours I think from reading your description. On par with a nice dose of acid. So yeah there are people that react the same and more intense even. My friends are always jealous of me when this happens (almost every time) because they see I'm enjoying myself very much and they have never experienced this on MDMA =D

Examples: Leaves of trees forming tiny hand and waving at me. Everything around me drawn in crayons. Walls melting. Water flowing down the walls. Indeed people I don't know looking like people I know. All girls turned to angels (got me laid that hallucination =D they thought I was complimenting them but to me they really looked like angels, complete with wings and halos). Sound of the crowd sounding like a jumbo jet taking off. Lasers burning holes in everyting they touch. Awesome facial tattoos being drawn on all peoples faces and then erased in the same order. People around me all have monster faces. A tree with a mouth that talked to me. Dwarfs running around in high grass (almost no grass there in reality they told me). Dirt on the ground growing legs and turning to insects that swarm over the ground. Bats coming out of the speakers at a show. Everyone around me has luminescent glasses on (this is a common hallucination on MDMA, heard it before multiple times). The DJ floating up to the ceiling and back down right next to me. Circle of light around me and everything outside that circle pitch black and not visible anymore. Soccerballs flying through the air and forming a tornado of soccer balls. A weird golden chariot without horses driving over the heads of the crowd. And so on...

*edit* The weird thing is when I started doing MDMA that never happened to me. Then one night it started, while I wasn't on such a high dose. Freaked me out the first time, I thought I was overheating or something as I didn't know yet this was possible on MDMA. That was one of the most frightening feelings I ever had, I was in sheer terror for about 10 minutes and then started enjoying myself. And since that one time I almost always hallucinate. What my friends didn't tell me was that they were smoking amesia haze that night. I didn't know and puffed along. I think this very potent weed triggered it because after that it always happens when I smoke heavily when rolling.

Last edited:
wow man thanks for that vigorous reply. i find it very reassuring. interestingly enough my trips are intensified by grade and my most pleasant and intense trip was also after smoking amnesia haze as well. I suppose once you learn to embrace what can seem unusual at the time, it becomes something to look forward to!