• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Half Life of Subutex When Snorted?

bluemansland

Greenlighter
Hello all!

I'll get straight to the point.. If you snort a drug such as subutex(or any drug for this matter) which has a half life of around 36 hours, does it lessen the half life or does it stay the same? Im assuming since snorting any drug speeds up its metabolism, it would lessen the half life.

Can someone either confirm or tell me otherwise please?

Snorting does not speed up metabolism or reduce the half-life. It just absorbs slightly faster than it does sublingually.

ROA is completely irrelevant to a drugs half life; that's down to your body to metabolise the drug-you can't change the rate at which it's done. By changing the ROA you can change a drugs BA and it's onset time.

I can't explain that. When I shot bupe, I'd get sick in roughly the same time frame as sublingual. Of course, the peak effects when IV'd happened within 30 seconds; sublingually, it takes around 2 hours, dependent on person.

I can't explain that. When I shot bupe, I'd get sick in roughly the same time frame as sublingual. Of course, the peak effects when IV'd happened within 30 seconds; sublingually, it takes around 2 hours, dependent on person.

Well perhaps that happened because the BA of IVing it is 100%, so although it is eliminated from your system faster mg for mg, you have roughly 2x as much in you to be eliminated compared to about half as much when taken either sublingually or intranasally (sublingual BA = 55% and intranasal BA = 40-56%) so it leaves your system at a slower rate. I guess those factors resulted in it just cancelling out in your case.

There is the concept of saturation to think about. Your body only has a finite amount of drug-metabolizing enzymes. If the dose is delivered to the liver as a bolus, a greater fraction will survive first-pass than if it is delivered gradualy. It's like playing musical chairs with way more people than chairs. The blood perfusion rate of the liver also varies between individuals, and is not static anyway. The drug can't be broken down faster than it can be delivered to the liver. Some drugs exhibit non-linear pharmacokinetics: they inhibit their own metabolism, so half-life is longer with larger doses than with smaller doses. The classic example is phenytoin.

Well perhaps that happened because the BA of IVing it is 100%, so although it is eliminated from your system faster mg for mg, you have roughly 2x as much in you to be eliminated compared to about half as much when taken either sublingually or intranasally (sublingual BA = 55% and intranasal BA = 40-56%) so it leaves your system at a slower rate. I guess those factors resulted in it just cancelling out in your case.

Oh right, I never really new that about BA; I always thought there'd be the same amount of drug in your system, but that the effects were just felt more. I only use SL now. I'm not sure what the BA for that ROA is, but let's just say for example it's 50% (could be more or less); does that mean the amount of drug in my system is actually 6 mg rather than the 12 mg I actually take? If so, that should probably mean I'd have an easier time detoxing from it, I guess. I wonder if plugging it will improve it's ba?

The shortened half-life referred to in the medical studies and medication handouts (mean 2.2 hours) refers to doses under 2 mg., mostly doses in the mcg. range. This is different because there is not enough bupe in that small of a dose to fully saturate the receptors like there is in doses above the mcg. range. In doses greater than 1-2 mg., the half life remains the same whether it's 2 mg. or 16 mgs. There is enough bupe in doses that high to fully saturate the receptor sites and block opiates from being able to bind. Plus, when discussing Suboxone as opposed to Subutex, there is also the factor of Naloxone to consider on top of the Bupe.
So, to sum it up, in doses above 2 mgs., regardless of ROA, the half-life remains the same....approx. 37 hours. That means if one dosed 2 mg, no matter ROA, the amount of bupe/Naloxone still active in the body 37 hours later would be 1mg. Bupe/.5 mgs. of Naloxone. Remember, that is REGARDLESS of ROA.
I'm sorry to come off sounding condescending but I have seen this question so many times and have YET to see anyone answer it correctly. I'm also sorry for reviving an old thread but in the interest of harm reduction, I felt it was necessary for anyone else who came across this thread to have the correct information instead of just shooting bag after bag and having the H not work, a waste of money, but also possibly overdose from the respiratory depressant qualities of the drugs while trying to achieve the high they are looking for. Save your dope man, it's a waste of money to even bother until at least the 24 hour mark. 36 is better but I have seen someone catch a good rush after only 18 hours. Even then it took a higher dose than normal.
Your mileage may vary slightly, but only VERY slightly. Please be safe and play smart.

i actually was happy to read thru this thread.
Do you by chance know how long the average elimination rate of snorted bupe at 1mg would be?
i use 1mg intranasal every 24 hours.. lately i noticed that i start to feel kinda shitty like 12 hours after the dose. then if i make it the full 24 hours, i get a nice little high from the bupe. dont really feel it if i dose early tho.

I really couldn't give you a 100% for-sure accurate answer but if I had to guess I would say it would feel similar to IV ROA of the same amount. Not because of a difference in half-life but I say that only because 1 mg. is probably not enough to fully saturate your receptors to begin with and as it starts dropping off, you feel shittier and shittier because there is just so little there to begin with that within a few hours there isn't much left to speak of. If you are using it for Maintenance, I recommend 2 mg. at a time so you get a good blocking effect and know it's pointless to bother trying to blow through it. If for recreational purposes, I suggest you stop before your tolerance to other opies gets so high you have to do massive amounts more of you DOC to get a buzz on down the road. If just for a little buzz now and then....live it up, just be careful. Just because it is a prescribed drug that is meant to help addicts kick their habits doesn't mean that it isn't just as addictive mentally or physically as other opies. Play safe.
Either way, I'm not a doctor, or health professional, just a junkie/addict that is obsessed with drug research and pharmacology.

Edit*

I gather from your question you use it for Maint. I just added the rest for others who read it and/or have the same question. I'm not surprised you have to dose more often or feel a little buzz after 24 hrs. Because, like I said, there isn't much on your receptors to begin with so by the time 24 hours has passed there is virtually nothing left.

Last edited: