• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Had a thought while on lsd the other day...

Tortuga

Greenlighter
So if you believe in evolution and how if this generation is lacking something that is needed that this generation sees is needed, the next generation will evolve into having that trait. (Ex. Fish adapting the living above water.) Then does wearing glasses halt the need for evolution since we are giving ourselves a temporary fix to a problem that will eventually throughout lifes course fix itself in the future generation? I have pretty bad eyesight naturally so i wear glasses, i wondered what makes it so that i do not have perfect 20/20 vision? Is it because my past generation didn't need as good eyesight? Or is it because of other reasons? My theory is that the use of glasses makes it so the brain thinks my eyesight isnt really a problem and my offspring will be likely to have bad eyesight since no trait is being passed down saying i need better eyesight??

There are plenty of factors that play into what you receive as expressed traits as there are often dominate (expressed) genes and not dominate genes that are still there for being "passed on" but you do not express their traits. This is how come people who are normal can have children with really bad generic disorders as both parents were carriers of an unexpressed phenotype, I am really reach back into my brain for this one so forgive any slight inaccuracies. In this why they will most likely never be bred out of existence, which I am sure applies in some way to eye sight as to get it perfect is a huge feat, all that light reflecting and brain interpreting stuff can get scrambled easily.

But to answer the question of "does it cause a stop in evolution" the answer is no. So you may not be the one to pass on the genes to the next "super human" or the genetic anomaly that is your bad vision could be the beginnings of super human DNA as who knows what may happen when you try to pass that crappy eyes sight gene to your offspring it might get coded into something else due to an error, this is often how evolution happens. So its not that glasses make it so you need them but you would not be able to hunt with your eyes so you would die before you can breed and one who has good eye sight gets to pass on his genes this is how you breed out bad genes.

I will give you that today's society and ease of living makes it so people with less desirable genes get to breed but there is no way to teach your brain to mutate its genes into a passable thing i.e people who are burned on 90% of their body dont have kids with bad skin, its deeper then the surface (lol unintended pun)

Disclaimer both I and my g/f can barely see normally I can sound harsh because "my glasses my glasses i cant see without my glasses ;) "

I feel as though technology will take over the need for things like poor vision...that is the sad part humans were made to live in nauture like every other living creature on this planet, I can see how wearing glasses could potentially slow out evolutionary progress. I don't think however wearing glasses will effect your sons/daughters eyesight; genes and traits can't be altered unless genetic mutation were to take place either naturally or unnaturally.

Well we have advanced technology and can fix eyesight so it's irrelevant.

But say we were living like animals, if a portion of the population had an impairment such as poor eyesight they would be at a disadvantage in the game of survival. Eventually they would die out and be removed from the gene pool, only leaving people with good eyesight. (If that's even how it works, idk how your eyesight is determined genetically. (I'm pretty high too. ))

before eyeglasses were invented people with poor vision were much less likely to survive. so people with poor vision were less likely to reproduce and pass down their poor vision to the next generation.

now that we have eye glasses poor vision is becoming more common.

survival of the fittest no longer applies to humans.

usually the inefficient adaptations would die out or be out bred but now given enough time humans could actually devolve or turn into slug people with noses for feet and hands for eyes.

or I could be wrong, I made all this up but it sounds about right to me haha =)