• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Had a friend pass away earlier this month after OD'ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeremyRod

Greenlighter
He overdosed on something called "Vicodin" and "Valium". He was one of my closest friends. I'm here because I wanted to know how much pain he felt after taking all those pills (he took 25 of each). How painful was his suicide for him?

I'm sorry for your loss, if he had taken 25 valium chances are he was already passed out sleeping by the time the acetaminophen was taking effect on his liver, and the Vicodin slowing his breathing, from what I can see and what I've heard he was probably already passed out from the valium by the time the other drugs kicked in, so probably little to no pain. sorry once again..

This is probably just a troll but still....

Are you trying to ask us if it was painful because you won't to kill yourself this way? And possibly just made the friends suicide up?

I'm sure the person felt regret and didn't want to die... Most who kill themselves with a slow method like this suffer a stomach pumping along with charcoal or else a long debate with yourself on why it wasn't a shitty move that usually ends undecided. Physically probably was not suffering... That doesn't mean it is not a stupid idea. It hurts everyone even if the person talking action doesn't suffer physical pain.

I'm really sorry for your loss :/
It's impossible to tell if he suffered or not and I feel uncomfortable answering it, because as CousinCocaine said, for all that we know you could ask, because you want to kill yourself and want to know if this is a painless way to do it.
If you need help check out http://bluelight.org/vb/forums/47-The-Dark-Side

^It's good to know people understand why I responded the way I did. I wasn't trying to be insensitive of your loss I just wanted to be careful just in case. I really am sorry for your loss, I struggled with severe depression for years (but thankfully didn't kill myself, but at times I felt like it was a good option) .

answer to your question

He overdosed on something called "Vicodin" and "Valium". He was one of my closest friends. I'm here because I wanted to know how much pain he felt after taking all those pills (he took 25 of each). How painful was his suicide for him?

He didn't die from the acetaminophen (aspirin) in the Vicodin (hydrocodone) ..........Valium a benzodiazepine tranquilizer by itself wouldn't have killed him it is a CNS depressant but like I said benzos alone are hard to overdose on alone, but when he mixed opioids (Vicodin) that's another cns depressant, he died from RESPITORY DEPRESSION, the mix caused him to fall asleep and start breathing less and less until it happens, there is no pain. I lost my little brother when he was 22 jan 12 2008 4am along with one of my best friends the same night they were together, and have lost 3 other close friends, it's the worst thing in the world to experience.

I was about to say I really hope you're not trolling. But - I guess I hope you are trolling - since it would mean it's not true. But it's obviously incredibly poor taste if you are, because a lot of us here, especially on Other Drugs - and specifically opioid/opiate users, we've almost all lost people(s) close to ourselves. It's incredibly tough to go through, because on top of the death, as if that weren't enough - there's so much stigma and taboo. It's really tragic that so many people who tragically lose their life this way, they can be "written off" as "just another junky" but that just isn't the case, people - all of us, people - we're more than that. Our addictions DO NOT define us.

Anyway- assuming you are being truthful, then I'm incredibly sorry for your loss. As I alluded to, I've been through some losses myself along these lines. Any loss is devestating.

Regarding your specific question, I'm quite sure no one can really answer it. But my best guess is it would depend on whether he survived for a while and died in hospital, or whether he died within a few hours.

Because if he died quickly (say within 8 hours of taking the over-dose of pills) - then in all likelihood I would say he went very peacefully in his sleep. I'd say the combination of opioids and benzos would have had him gently fall alseep and then his breathing would have stopped, leading eventually to a cardiac-arrest.

Unfortunately - if he survived long enough to be in hospital in an induced coma or even conscious - especially if it were for days - then the death *may* have been a result of APAP damage to his liver. The amount of APAP (think common OTC pain killers, like Panadol in Australia) in 25 Vicodin is unfortunately enough to cause acute liver damage. If he died of liver failure, then that would indeed be a painful death.

But I would say the far more likely situation is that he probably died relatively peacefully and 'pain-free' in his sleep.

But no one can really tell you. Wait for the coroners report and read that. In my personal experience, a coroners report is extremely 'cold', not emotional at all - a purely scientific and empirical detail of all the factors leading to his death. They can be difficult to read, as they're certainly NOT written to console the grieving. But they do tend to give you a very precise account of the death.

This is probably just a troll but still....

Are you trying to ask us if it was painful because you won't to kill yourself this way? And possibly just made the friends suicide up?

Sorry if this is real but /\ my thoughts exactly. How do you know he took exactly 25 of each?

TBH, those pills come in so many different strength that it would be hard to say what exactly caused his death or how he went. Obviously if he died he died from toxicity, possibly drug interactions.

Know that if you try this it isn't a sure bet- I know someone who downed 5 full script bottles of similar drugs in an attempted suicide and woke up in the hospital. If they hit you with narcan you will have a very unpleasant experience and wake up even worse than you were before.

If you are really grieving the loss of a friend I would suggest The Dark Side, but to ask whether or not he felt pain is crazy.. Why wouldn't you ask the doctor or medic? Sorry if it sounds insensitive but it really doesn't matter whether or not he felt pain, if he's gone he's gone. It wouldn't do anyone any good to feel sorry over the pain he may or may not have experienced right before he took his life. I'm sure hanging yourself is an uncomfortable way to go, but the pain you experience is probably not matched by the pain your loved ones will experience when they find your body.

Like others have said he would have warmly and calmly fallen asleep and just not woken up. As far as deaths go, it would have been a pleasant one. The drugs he took would have prevented any physical or mental pain.
I am sorry for that this has happened. I hope the knowledge that he did not suffer will help to ease your own suffering a little.

I hope OP is not trolling, but the pills consumed really don't seem enough to be fatal.

I imagine CocaineCousin's hunch is correct, and the OP is contemplating suicide.

There would be no way to know his "friend" took exactly 25 pills each. And I also don't think someone with any opioid/benzo experience would have died from that combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.