• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

gym and MBA

ione

Greenlighter
Hi there,
Well here briefly, I am Italian relocated in Scotland. I have a bechelor and a master in food science. Starred my PhD in Italy and finish it in Scotland. Never came back in Italy. After graduating I find what I bealive was a good job, I am quality scientist for a major pharmaceutical company. In the top 10 in the world. I like my job I am learning new techniques. No problem with workmate or manager. After 2.5years I am started feel staking with no possibility to growth. I was thinking to take a part time MBA. In order to do it, I should leave my work out after work, I really love gym and get a decent body. Probably I need totally gave up to it in order to get the MBA done. I can agree that work is more important then gym. Just I don't know if I can manage to study after works.... Study and work out are different things. And second in spent already 8 years insider the university , get an MBA could be really boost my carrier? Right now I am doing just a lab-work. A bechelor probably would be sufficiently. What do u think guys?

Sorry for my bad English..... I know is terrible.

Your question is curious from an American point of view (at least this one). Did you obtain a bachelor's and master's degree on the way to a PhD?

Would an MBA help to become a chief scientist or scientific manager of some sort, or would it be for pursuing management positions apart from your current employer? Would many courses be needed for the MBA, considering your academic history? Higher level position requirements / job descriptions, as well as human resources personnel with your company, could be a good source of guidance with the specifics, short of making friends with the higher level managers and asking about their career paths.

Gyms here tend to open very early, if lacking 24 hour access, and a lot of business people are able to get workouts in before starting their day. Another option for saving time could be having gym equipment at a residence.

Overall, I'd recommend doing what you love. Sounds like you have a nice profession and outstanding credentials to fall back on, so it depends on whether making temporary sacrifices will be worthwhile for achieving career goals.

"Climbing corporate ladders" can take over one's life, if increasing focus is directed toward a company position and moving up. Many/most contractual work can become tedious with familiarity, and I often find conventions are more easily accepted than becoming personally concerned over. In case that sounds like giving into poor work ethic, I'm merely suggesting that some jobs are not easily changed, although they may be worth enduring with a certain amount of tedium, and even disagreement, in order to net favorable benefits.