• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Growing your own Opium Poppies indoors?

evo4ever

Bluelighter
Hey all.

Years ago I used to illegally grow Cannabis at my previous address so I've got a ton of knowledge and experience in horticulture, man I made a lot of money from that till my ex gf wanted it out of the house cos she got too paranoid incase we got raided or somethin lol. Anyway.. is it possible to grow ur own Opium Poppies indoors inside a professional grow tent under proper lights like the way I used to grow Cannabis? I fully understand that this would be illegal in the UK but I don't care lol, plus it would be for personal use only. Cheers guys!

I might be mistaken but i always assumed somniferum spread like a weed, just about anywhere.
My friend's grandmother had it growing all over her yard, couldn't get rid of it. So I wouldn't see why not.

It's possible but you need quite a wide space for it to be worthwhile especially if you are thinking of bleeding them.

Yeah I've got adequate space. Where would I get the right seeds from? I understand its perfectly legal to buy opium poppy seeds in the UK right? I'm gonna wanna want a strain which is high in Thebaine cos I'm gonna synthesize Oxycodone from it which I already know how to do.

I've got a massive basement which spans the whole area of the house that would be perfect for a clandestine poppy farm and a mini lab.. God I'm getting a warm and tingling feeling just thinking about it lol

Last edited:
Not a horticulture expert so I'll let others chime in there, but I can tell you that growing papaver somniferum is perfectly legal in the UK. Cracking open the pods to extract opium is illegal, but growing poppies is not. That's why you can buy dried poppy heads online for "decorative purposes." Nothing illegal unless it's used for human consumption.

So if you have a garden or some other outdoor space I recommend growing it there instead of indoors. Not only is it easier and cheaper but it looks a lot less dodgy. Plenty of gardens have poppies in them, but if you have them in a grow tent in your house it looks very suspicious if anything does happen.

Not a horticulture expert so I'll let others chime in there, but I can tell you that growing papaver somniferum is perfectly legal in the UK. Cracking open the pods to extract opium is illegal, but growing poppies is not. That's why you can buy dried poppy heads online for "decorative purposes." Nothing illegal unless it's used for human consumption.

So if you have a garden or some other outdoor space I recommend growing it there instead of indoors. Not only is it easier and cheaper but it looks a lot less dodgy. Plenty of gardens have poppies in them, but if you have them in a grow tent in your house it looks very suspicious if anything does happen.

Yeah I understand and I'm totally fine with the risks involved. Growing indoors gives me complete control of their environment, I'll be able to give them optimal amounts of light and nutrients for maximum yields. Plus I'll be able to grow them any time of the year, I won't be restricted by the seasons outdoors.. not to mention pests as well!

The main three opiates I'll be extracting / separating is Morphine, Codeine, and Thebaine. I'll synthesize Oxycodone from the Codeine and Thebaine, and I'll either keep the Morphine as is or I can synthesize it into Diamorphine.

It's possible but you need quite a wide space for it to be worthwhile especially if you are thinking of bleeding them.

Yup. I feel like if you had an acre, you could make it easily worthwhile. It's so far off the DEA radar that you rarely see any cases being prosecuted in the United States and you can assume this is the market just making it more desirable to buy from the street.

I'm no horticilturalist either, but I have had some success growing them outdoors. I'm sure that if indoor growing was a viable option we'd have heard a lot more about it by now.

From my (admittedly limited) experience, I think there are a few things to consider:

Certain strains of cannabis can be well suited to indoor growing because it has been bred for this purpose for decades. Poppies have not.

Cannabis tends to produce a dense ball of roots that can be sustained in a pot by adding nutrients. Poppies dont produce a root ball like this, but the main tap root goes way deep, so growing in pots is not an option.

As I'm sure you know, atificial light intensity dimishes exponentially the further away it is from the plant, or summat.
Cannabis can be trained by breeding, pinching and other techniques to produce a short, squat plant which is necessary so that all parts of the plant make full use of the light available. This is not possible with poppies. Even the multi headed ones are basically just one main stem and I dont believe you can fuck about with that main stem without killing the plant. So before long, it will have grown so high that only the top parts will receive enough light, while the lower parts will wither and die. Plus poppy leaves are huge and provide a great shading effect, so you would need lights all along its height as well as at the top.

Therefore, you would need a very large space, with very deep soil and lights of such intensity that the returns wouldn't be worth it - even if it was possible. Furthermore, it would be an extremely hard operation to keep under cover and even though it's legal to grow poppies here, I think you'd have a hard time persuading a judge that it was purely for decorative purposes.

You mention extracting the different alkaloids and conversion to diamorphine etc. Well if you've got the knowledge to do this, why not just grow a shitload outside then work your magic on them? Ok, you'd need to grow more due to our climate, but it would cost you a fuckton less...