View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Growing San Pedro

somnilicious

Bluelighter
I got myself a couple of San Pedro cuttings. One looked like it had some mold on the end so I cut it off and am now waiting on the end to callous so I can put it in the ground. I have read that it won't root in Winter but would living in a climate that usually stays above 50 F allow it to possibly root during winter or is it based on sunlight and the cacti's internal clock?

I put my other cutting in a pot a couple of inches down and staked it. Should I go ahead and leave it outside or place it in my Florida room(like an indoor porch, plenty of sun) because it has been a little colder this year and has dropped down close to freezing one night? I would rather leave it outside but I want my little girl to root because she's got a lot of dry spots and a rat nibble from sitting in my garage, while waiting for the end to callous.

I hear they only draw in water through their skin untill they begin to root so I'm guessing they need to be outside where there is a bit of moisture in the air.

Any tips or suggestions from experienced growers would be appreciated.

Thanks guys...

I got myself a couple of San Pedro cuttings. One looked like it had some mold on the end so I cut it off and am now waiting on the end to callous so I can put it in the ground. I have read that it won't root in Winter but would living in a climate that usually stays above 50 F allow it to possibly root during winter or is it based on sunlight and the cacti's internal clock?

I put my other cutting in a pot a couple of inches down and staked it. Should I go ahead and leave it outside or place it in my Florida room(like an indoor porch, plenty of sun) because it has been a little colder this year and has dropped down close to freezing one night? I would rather leave it outside but I want my little girl to root because she's got a lot of dry spots and a rat nibble from sitting in my garage, while waiting for the end to callous.

I hear they only draw in water through their skin untill they begin to root so I'm guessing they need to be outside where there is a bit of moisture in the air.

Thanks guys...
I grew san pedro from seed and i have two little babies now.

I definitely could have given them more attention and care but they are surviving and growing well.

They are very tough and will survive a lot.

I'd like to know more about cultivation and when I get a cutting I'll check this thread yet again.

So definitely don’t put them outside right now, the rooting phase can be hard on some cuttings and takes time. Best to put them in your warm room until summer, what’s the night time lows right now?

I’ve found their growth is mainly dependent on sunlight, as they tend to go dormant in the winter months.

You can put cuttings in the ground during winter just don’t expect them to really get going until spring.

Also just as you would do with established San Pedro, hold back on watering in the winter as too much will make them go soggy.

When I plant cuttings I usually wet the end, sprinkle on a little rooting powder, sprinkle some into the hole, then place it in. Water the ground well right then, then usually let it sit and occasionally feel the cutting for spongeyness. Once I feel that I’ll water lightly again, from there out it doesn’t take much water. A spray botttle works all the same and helps control how much you give them.

The best tip I can give is learning to read your cacti by feel. When you touch the skin of the cactus is there any give? Then they may need water. Is the skin tight? Maybe with small black scabs? That means too much water.

I’m actually today going to top a few and re-pot them to make the garden bigger :) I’ve had mine for many years and it’s provided me well. I’d say 2/3 my experiences have been my own home grown.

-GC

Thanks guys...
I've been growing cacti for years. I save the cuttings from the fall indoors through the winter, and put them in soil to root once it starts to get a bit warmer. Where I am in early March is good to start, since it will be warmer during the day, and the longer daylight hours seems to wake them up. The tips don't need any water while they are dormant in winter. I have a greenhouse outside for the plants in pots. They survive fine outside as long as it is above 25 F. I have got small tips frostbitten if there is a long cold snap. I also have some in pots in a window in my office, and they grow well as long as they are watered weekly. Even there, they are dormant from Dec.-March, so the photoperiod rather than temperature seems to control growth.

So definitely don’t put them outside right now, the rooting phase can be hard on some cuttings and takes time. Best to put them in your warm room until summer, what’s the night time lows right now?

I’ve found their growth is mainly dependent on sunlight, as they tend to go dormant in the winter months.

You can put cuttings in the ground during winter just don’t expect them to really get going until spring.

Also just as you would do with established San Pedro, hold back on watering in the winter as too much will make them go soggy.

When I plant cuttings I usually wet the end, sprinkle on a little rooting powder, sprinkle some into the hole, then place it in. Water the ground well right then, then usually let it sit and occasionally feel the cutting for spongeyness. Once I feel that I’ll water lightly again, from there out it doesn’t take much water. A spray botttle works all the same and helps control how much you give them.

The best tip I can give is learning to read your cacti by feel. When you touch the skin of the cactus is there any give? Then they may need water. Is the skin tight? Maybe with small black scabs? That means too much water.

I’m actually today going to top a few and re-pot them to make the garden bigger :) I’ve had mine for many years and it’s provided me well. I’d say 2/3 my experiences have been my own home grown.

-GC
Thank you so much. This is exactly what I needed. I'm clueless. It's been 40-60F at night as I live in Florida. I will be referring to you in the future for all my cacti growing needs if you don't mind. I need to get some rooting powder.

Much appreciated

I've been growing cacti for years. I save the cuttings from the fall indoors through the winter, and put them in soil to root once it starts to get a bit warmer. Where I am in early March is good to start, since it will be warmer during the day, and the longer daylight hours seems to wake them up. The tips don't need any water while they are dormant in winter. I have a greenhouse outside for the plants in pots. They survive fine outside as long as it is above 25 F. I have got small tips frostbitten if there is a long cold snap. I also have some in pots in a window in my office, and they grow well as long as they are watered weekly. Even there, they are dormant from Dec.-March, so the photoperiod rather than temperature seems to control growth.
Also exactly the kind of information and advice I needed. Thank you so much. I and my cacti appreciate all the help we can get. This site is an invaluable resource...

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I needed. I'm clueless. It's been 40-60F at night as I live in Florida. I will be referring to you in the future for all my cacti growing needs if you don't mind. I need to get some rooting powder.

Much appreciated

The rooting powder isn’t necessary but does help especially in winter. That said you being in Florida is quite a bit different than me being up north where it snows come winter. I’d syill start indoor but might not be long til your time to put em out.

And no problem :)

-GC

Thanks for the info all. I am going to save the posts for when I someday get my own lush greenhouse. (It is a dream I have had) I had a friend grow a whole bunch of Peruvianus and they were nice and healthy. I get nervous with cactus. Years ago I had a cactus that I felt was too dry for too many months and I killed it by giving it a little water. I really thought all living things needed water. I know cactus does but much less that what would be intuitive.

Years ago I had a cactus that I felt was too dry for too many months and I killed it by giving it a little water. I really thought all living things needed water. I know cactus does but much less that what would be intuitive.
was it a san pedro though? I water mine a couple times a week in the summer (in pots on a south facing windowsill) when it's hot in summer. never had an issue, they like having moisture when conditions are good, in fact they explode with good soil and a lot of light. during winter, I put them inside, as we get frost, but I rarely water them, because they get leggy when they have much water but too little light.

I’ve found PC Pedro’s (most common ones) will suck water up like a sponge, but other Pedro’s and Bridgesii I’ve had which grow slower also require less water too.

Just like a human being that’s been starved for months whos then given the biggest meal they’ve ever seen, they may die from the shock to their system.

Definitely give it another try, if I can keep em alive I’m sure you can too ;)

-GC

Do you have any trouble eating san pedro? I must've spent about a month sourcing and preparing it then took my first swig of nasty cactus snot and put the cup down saying "Fuck that".

was it a san pedro though? I water mine a couple times a week in the summer (in pots on a south facing windowsill) when it's hot in summer. never had an issue, they like having moisture when conditions are good, in fact they explode with good soil and a lot of light. during winter, I put them inside, as we get frost, but I rarely water them, because they get leggy when they have much water but too little light.
Honestly no the cactus I watered and killed was not a San Pedro. But it kind of scared me. So good to know San Pedro does need water.

As mine were rooted this is hypothetical.

An extract, water, of Willow contain's substances that are root stimulator´s. Willows root easily cause of this i believe.

There is also a powder you can buy. No clue about the toxicity of that.

And if this will work for San Pedro?

Do you have any trouble eating san pedro? I must've spent about a month sourcing and preparing it then took my first swig of nasty cactus snot and put the cup down saying "Fuck that".

Over the years I’ve found better ways to consume. One good way is to make a tea/extract with 50/50 vinegar/distilled water. Then dry out in a glass dish. Once dry scrape up and store as is or reconstitute when ready.

For some reason doing this crude extract, then drying it, seems to take away a good amount of the sliminess.

Never blend, always cut into pieces that can be filtered off later.

No matter what though unless you do an A/B it’s gonna be somewhat nasty. I’ve yet to meet someone that couldn’t drink my brew but there’s definitely some sour faces as it happens.

Also NEVER do alcohol extracts, the bitterness is increased to near intolerable levels. That’s the only extract I couldn’t consume, not worth the faster dry time.

-GC